Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Service

Options
  • 23-05-2006 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭

anyone any recomendations for VW servicing. Not a main dealer as there prices are crazy for labour and the likes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭le-dub

I left my Volkswagen Golf 01D in Tom Walsh Motors over the donaghmeade bridge after x-mas and it was cheap enough and a they did a great job i thought to....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I know a place in Dublin 7 that do great work and not too expensive either. PM me if you want details.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

T&#225 wrote: »
    anyone any recomendations for VW servicing. Not a main dealer as there prices are crazy for labour and the likes.
    where are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

"Location: nurthcyde, doblin"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

McAlister in Swords Motor Park seem good. Bradys in D15 are not (charged €615 for a service and broke the central locking and refused to cover the €30 to fix it as I have fixed their part myself). :mad:

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i got my car serviced last month.there were mad quotes i got from garages like grange motors etc but at the end it was cheaper to get a service inc brake pads and full service and still save around 100 euro .this was from bradys in castleknock.it was great service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

drdre wrote:
    garages like grange motors etc

Grange Motors don't service cars.

Big Balls wrote:
    Grange Motors don't service cars.
    i know that, it was msl mdl

drdre wrote:
    i got my car serviced last month.there were mad quotes i got from garages like grange motors etc but at the end it was cheaper to get a service inc brake pads and full service and still save around 100 euro .this was from bradys in castleknock.it was great service.

"Great service", guess you got lucky. Part of their "benefit to the customer" is to change brand new Wipers and Oil (changed my me the day before hand) at full VW list prices and then hide it in the cost. This was apart from them breaking the C Locks and claiming I was using the car without the ability to lock it and "hadnt noticed".

If I wasnt selling the car the next day I wouldnt have gone there at all, just wanted that official VW stamp. Never again!

Matt

Matt Simis wrote:
    "Great service", guess you got lucky. Part of their "benefit to the customer" is to change brand new Wipers and Oil (changed my me the day before hand) at full VW list prices and then hide it in the cost. This was apart from them breaking the C Locks and claiming I was using the car without the ability to lock it and "hadnt noticed".

If I wasnt selling the car the next day I wouldnt have gone there at all, just wanted that official VW stamp. Never again!

Matt

i mainly wanted the cheapest service with a stamp.they were the cheapest i found

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭BRM

Lads Id save the specifics for PMs the site could be liable for negative posts relating to specific garages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

well now im definetly not going to a main dealer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Wing Walker

T&#225 wrote: »
    well now im definetly not going to a main dealer!

A word of caution there. I brought my Golf diesel to the place I bought it and they worked out about 33% expensive than if I had gone to a main VW dealer down the country (friend of mine had it done in Limerick). Don't know if geography has or should have anything to do with it though.

BRM wrote:
    Lads Id save the specifics for PMs the site could be liable for negative posts relating to specific garages.

Im aware of that, however I havent said anything inaccurate and this is clearly just my opinon from an isolated instance. Im sure its possible everyone else has no problems, but I promised the garage I would share my dissatisfaction if they wouldnt in any way make amends.. which they gleefully told me I could do it I wanted.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

Matt Simis wrote:
    Im aware of that, however I havent said anything inaccurate and this is clearly just my opinon from an isolated instance. Im sure its possible everyone else has no problems, but I promised the garage I would share my dissatisfaction if they wouldnt in any way make amends.. which they gleefully told me I could do it I wanted.

Matt

Just as a matter of interest why would you change the oil on a car the day before a service? Did you say it to them when you left the car in?

$Leon$ wrote:
    Just as a matter of interest why would you change the oil on a car the day before a service? Did you say it to them when you left the car in?

Well actually changed it a couple of days before, the oil light came on, so pretty much had to do it then. Im think I mentioned it, but in fairness, it was the changing of the clearly new Wipers and the breaking of Central Locking that annoyed me, the Oil they may not have realised.

Matt

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Takc what are you getting done?? JUst the plugs, filters and oil?? Or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I get my mate to do it, I buy the parts, he services for 50-70 euro. Make sure if going to garage that they change the pollen filter. On my last passat when I had my mate service he pulled out the pollen filter and it was the one that VW had put in when they built it, so 5 years old even thou VW garage where I had bought it had done full service on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

i just want a general service. oil change, pads, wipers, filter change, engine check, etc etc

i just want to give the car some TLC without paying thru the nostrils for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Matt Simis wrote:
    Well actually changed it a couple of days before, the oil light came on, so pretty much had to do it then. Im think I mentioned it, but in fairness, it was the changing of the clearly new Wipers and the breaking of Central Locking that annoyed me, the Oil they may not have realised.

Matt

Most VW garages have notices up saying that if getting car serviced that they will change wipers and oil as part of the service and to specify that you do not want this done at time of service.

Got my golf serviced last year and was over 615 euro which was rediculous. Went to the main dealer as had NCT that weekend.

A question: would there be any problems selling a car if it had not been serviced by main dealer? I presume that garages that are not motor dealers would not have the same technologies as a large dealer - would the service be of the same quality? I know that I need new break pads for my next service - would a garage realise this or should I tell them? Also there is the problem of the service light on VW's - can non VW garages switch these off after a service - I know of two people that have had their cars serviced yearly but the light still shows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

A VAG-COM unit can switch lights off.

Once a mechanic uses genuine parts there is sweet FA VW can do about it and they have to honour the warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Downtime wrote:
    A question: would there be any problems selling a car if it had not been serviced by main dealer? I presume that garages that are not motor dealers would not have the same technologies as a large dealer - would the service be of the same quality? I know that I need new break pads for my next service - would a garage realise this or should I tell them? Also there is the problem of the service light on VW's - can non VW garages switch these off after a service - I know of two people that have had their cars serviced yearly but the light still shows.

From my point of view and the point of view of everyone I know they dont give a hoot if the car was serviced with main dealer etc, just once you know that it has been serviced regularly then thats fine. Have found that most Dublin people haven't a clue when they have to service car so I don't buy a Dublin car.

Also have found most main garages are sh*t. As I mentioned even after buying from a VW garage and car got full service they didnt bother there arse to look at the pollen filter.

Also my bro was getting his A4 done in a Audi garage all the time to keep up the service history. Dropped in car, full service and supposed to check everything, 2k miles after service the timing belt went and f**ked the car. Garage excuse was he didnt mention the timing belt even thou he did. No record so he couldn't confirm this. Bill came to over 1k which in the end after a lot of crap garage paided for bill. Would never ever go to a main dealer. They just rob your money and do nothing for it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

THe best bet mate if its only a quick service then DIY!!! It is easy to do and won't cost you a fortune!!

Advertisement