Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 3 Series alloys

Options
  • 23-05-2006 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I picked up my 320D a few weeks ago, and really don't like the stock "alloys" that come with it (photo attached).

As new tyres were fitted all round, I would prefer to either wait a while and get 17"s all around when I need to change tyres anyway, or get 16" wheels now but that can use the same tyres (think they are 16/215/50).

Can anyone recommend any places in Dublin or Wicklow that sell and fit alloys at a decent price?

Also, if anyone can recommend any specific wheels that would look good? I like the M3 replica type alloys, but pretty sure they will cost an arm and a leg (and probably not come in a 16").

thanks,

Eoin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

I've got 17" M3's and they're a very hard ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I've got 17" M3's and they're a very hard ride.

I was wondering about that actually, living in Wicklow probably won't help matters either! What profile do you have on the tyres?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭david powell

I'd avoid 17" alloys, they look great but if your driving on not so good roads they will not last very long... Unfortunately 16's are probably the max you should go... :(

What's the 320D like?? i'm thinking my next one sould be a Diesel....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I'd avoid 17" alloys, they look great but if your driving on not so good roads they will not last very long... Unfortunately 16's are probably the max you should go... :(

what do you mean about the 17" alloys, the tires wear faster or that the alloys themselves take damage. You've confused me

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have 17" on my E39 and whilst the ride is firm it certainly is not harsh. I also have a sports suspension which would be a bit firmer than standard.
    Good rims often appear on www.bmw-driver.net

• Advertisement

I may go for the 16" ones so, but having said that, the wheel arch on the 3 series looks pretty big so I may be able to get 17"s with a big enough profile.

I like it overall, I haven't had it long enough to see if the fuel economy is that good. So far it doesn't seem great, but it is too early to decide.

I have the '00 model; I think a newer engine was released a couple of years later so worth checking that out. It is quite well specified as standard (for a BMW); you get Air-Con & Cruise control and the driver's armrest. It sounds silly, but I hate not having an armrest! Mine came with a 6CD changer, but judging by other threads here, that isn't standard.

kbannon wrote:
    I have 17" on my E39 and whilst the ride is firm it certainly is not harsh. I also have a sports suspension which would be a bit firmer than standard.
    Good rims often appear on www.bmw-driver.net

Thanks kbannon; what profile do you have on the tyres?

IIRC...
    front 235/45/17
    rear 255/40/17
    normal_SV400025.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭david powell

Sorry just to confirm my earlier post was regarding damage to the alloy wheels themselves... they buckle quite easily, if your unlucky enough to hit a pot hole...

I believe most of the Lagunas came with 17" alloys for a few years ago ( I know 2 people who have had more than one problem with the 17" laguna alloys ), but now they all come with 16" alloys ( maybe someone can confirm this )...

Again, I’m not against them, they do look nice, just I guess “robustness” should be considered when making a decision...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I've 18's on my E46, its lowered on EIbach springs and the ride is fine - not at all harsh. I was planning on sticking 19's on soon if I don't sell the car and wouldn't envisage any issues with those either. If you buy genuine BMW alloys (or good quality aftermarket wheels), instead of replicas, you're unlikely to suffer from buckling. I've hit plenty of potholes and the only damage to my wheels has been caused by crap parking on my behalf.

• Advertisement

Actually just picking up on kdevitts point about aftermarket rim - beware of most aftermarket rims as they will ofen be heavier and may can be negative on the car.
    Some good aftermarket manufacturers include Alpina, AC Schnitzer, etc.

Thanks, will be sure not to skimp on the wheels themselves. 18" wheels are probably out of my price range though. Depends if I could flog my wheels and tyres for a decent price though.

By the way, does your speedometer's accuracy become affected if you install much larger wheels?

The speedo shouldn't really become different as you should choose a tyre that would have a similar rolling radius to the current tyre.
    Inside your drivers door or in your owners manual should have a list of rims and tyre sizes.
    see http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

kbannon wrote:
    The speedo shouldn't really become different as you should choose a tyre that would have a similar rolling radius to the current tyre.
    Inside your drivers door or in your owners manual should have a list of rims and tyre sizes.
    see http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Cool, thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

I have a set of 18" Evo2's on my E36 on 225/40's and I don't find the ride compromised all that much. I had 17"'s on 205/40's on a Hyundai Coupe previously and the ride was far stiffer ("hit a pot hole and loose you fillings in the back of your teeth" kind of stiff!) but the wheels on the BMW are great. I also upgraded from 16"'s. I picked up the Evo2's from these guys http://www.pro-parts.net/home.asp brand new for €1050 inc tyres and fitting which I thought was a good deal at the time, they are a good looking rim and really set the car off.

Juan Pablo wrote:
    I have a set of 18" Evo2's on my E36 on 225/40's and I don't find the ride compromised all that much. I had 17"'s on 205/40's on a Hyundai Coupe previously and the ride was far stiffer ("hit a pot hole and loose you fillings in the back of your teeth" kind of stiff!) but the wheels on the BMW are great. I also upgraded from 16"'s. I picked up the Evo2's from these guys http://www.pro-parts.net/home.asp brand new for €1050 inc tyres and fitting which I thought was a good deal at the time, they are a good looking rim and really set the car off.

Pretty sure we work in the same building - I was actually admiring your alloys last week in the car park! They are exactly what I am looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

I've got 18's with 45 profile tires on my E36 Coupe (with sports suspension). The ride is generally very good but I think you get a fare bit more road noise...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,086 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

hey Eoin

one dont get 16"s far far too small on the 3 series, theres also a lot of misinformed comments on top, as most have said ride quality on 17"s is fine, i have 18" wheels on my gti and still find it acceptable, also a good quality alloy wheel wont buckle any easier than a steely

finally if you can buy it in ireland, its cheaper on the net :)

i got lovely 166 sport replica alloys on www.performancealloys.com for my old 156, free del and wheels are generally £99 stg a corner for replicas

failing that wait until something comes up 2nd hand

Gatster wrote:
    The ride is generally very good but I think you get a fare bit more road noise...
    Turn the radio up :D

Cyrus wrote:
    hey Eoin

one dont get 16"s far far too small on the 3 series, theres also a lot of misinformed comments on top, as most have said ride quality on 17"s is fine, i have 18" wheels on my gti and still find it acceptable, also a good quality alloy wheel wont buckle any easier than a steely

i got lovely 166 sport replica alloys on www.performancealloys.com for my old 156, free del and wheels are generally £99 stg a corner for replicas

failing that wait until something comes up 2nd hand

Hey Cyrus - have decided to go the whole hog and go for 18"s, so going to have a good search around this internet thing you speak of!

thanks for the advice all,

Eoin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,086 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

nice one :) may i also suggest getting the bump strips colour coded, really finishs off the car :)

Cyrus wrote:
    nice one :) may i also suggest getting the bump strips colour coded, really finishs off the car :)

One thing at a time!

Cyrus wrote:

Good old eBay - found this set: €850 delivered with tyres. Can't go wrong with that!

Advertisement