Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog minding on a one to one basis?

Options
  • 23-05-2006 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been covered before. I have a 10 year old collie cross female. My mother is at home with her all day so she is well looked after. We are going on holidays in August. Last year we put Smokey into a kennels for the first time. She didn't like it at all. She barked and scratched and I was told that she might be better off next time in a kennels in the country (this one was in Kimmage). Trouble is that Smokey is spoiled and treated like a child and does not like to be around other dogs as she considers herself to be top dog! Does anyone provide a one to one dog minding service in their own home? I don't want to put her into a kennels again for her sake and the other dogs! She is perfectly happy when on her own with someone, she likes to snooze a lot and go out for walks and needs very little looking after.

Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 addie

You'll find some contacts here http://www.irishanimals.com/care/kennel.html#board

I don't have experience of using any of the services myself though.

I live near Kimmage- I realise the kennels didn't suit your dog, but was there a good level of care and would you recommend it for other dogs who maybe would be better suited to a kennel environment? Also, can you remember how much it cost? We haven't left our doggy in kennels before but if there's one close by I wouldn't mind seeing how he'd get on in one over a weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Yes, I would recommend them. The dogs seemed to be well cared for. Unfortunately our thing is spoiled rotten and doesn't like being in the company of other dogs. I think the owner was anxious because Smokey barked a lot and as she lives in a cottage close to others I think she was worried about the neighbours complaining. My friends have left their dogs there and they were happy with the care they received. Book early though as she gets full quickly.

Not much luck with the link:( Phonecalls not returned. One lady does offer a service but she also has other dogs in the house. I was hoping to have Smokey minded on a one to one basis. Doesn't have to be a professional dog minder just someone who likes dogs! Anyone any more ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Post on petsireland & offer someone a free holiday in your home etc - some of the other people do this & then your dog can be cared for in her home etc.

I don't want anybody in my home. I'd rather my dog was cared for in somebody else's home!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭eiretamicha

I don't want anybody in my home. I'd rather my dog was cared for in somebody else's home!
    You'll find that most pet sitters go to your home, rather than take your pet to theirs.

I have been a pet sitter for 6 years now (currently taking a holiday from it, though, because my daytime work hours are too demanding), and have never once had a client who wanted me to take the animal to my home. Most pet sitters have their own pets that may not get along well with the client's animal(s). The usual pet sitter routine consists of two visits (morning and evening, but some clients like a noon-time visit, as well) to the client's home in order to feed/water/walk the pet, and clean any litter boxes and/or bedding areas. I was charging $15 here in the states per visit (not per day), which is a very reasonable fee compared to boarding in kennels.

The main advantage to hiring a pet sitter is that your animal stays in familiar surroundings and will not get as stressed--therefore making vet visits (and fees!) highly unlikely.

The best thing I can tell you to do would be to search out a few local pet sitters and interview them--ask for references and/or letters of recommendation, and call these references to verify. Make sure you feel comfortable with them and introduce them to your pet(s). Watch how they interact with your animal(s) and make sure the animal also feels comfortable around them. Most pet sitters absolutley love animals and should show a genuine interest in your pet(s).

Pet sitting has been so rewarding to me, and I cannot wait to move back to Ireland so I can start pet sitting again. :)

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Try www.gumtree.ie in the pets section also, good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

double d wrote: »
    snip

Hmmm you wouldn't happen to be Dee would you?!!

Seeing as the original post was 3 years ago I have a feeling the OP isn't still looking...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SandyG4U

My aunt is currently starting a pet minding service. She would mind the pet in it's own home and walk it etc.

She is prepared to stay overnight if necessary as some people may like the added security of someone being in their house while they are away.
    She also has references from people she minded pets for before.

you can pm me if you want details

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gudbuzz

http://www.southpaw.ie/
    excellent service, rose is excellent with dogs. they'l be spoiled!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gudbuzz

o just saw the orginal date there, how did it end up on the homepage again?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

gudbuzz wrote: »
    http://www.southpaw.ie/
    excellent service, rose is excellent with dogs. they'l be spoiled!

Rose is absolutely brilliant with dogs - I've never known one who didn't adore her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nellnarlark

Hi,

My name is Nell and I have lots of experience with Dogs and absolutely love them :). I am from Australia and have been in Dublin for 3 years, I left my dog at home with my Family and would love to dog sit any small toilet trained dogs in my apartment in Ranelagh.

PM me if interested.

Thanks!

Nell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Apologies if this has been covered before. I have a 10 year old collie cross female. My mother is at home with her all day so she is well looked after. We are going on holidays in August. Last year we put Smokey into a kennels for the first time. She didn't like it at all. She barked and scratched and I was told that she might be better off next time in a kennels in the country (this one was in Kimmage). Trouble is that Smokey is spoiled and treated like a child and does not like to be around other dogs as she considers herself to be top dog! Does anyone provide a one to one dog minding service in their own home? I don't want to put her into a kennels again for her sake and the other dogs! She is perfectly happy when on her own with someone, she likes to snooze a lot and go out for walks and needs very little looking after.

Anyone any ideas?

Here's are two peopl thats off one to one dog minding...

1. http://www.yuppiepuppie.ie/cage_free_boarding.htm
    Her name is barbara... we use her everytime we go away our spaniel LOVES her...

2. http://www.walkies.ie/html/splash.html

Her name is Rhona... she is a dog walker but she also does one to one dog minding.. she is excellent!

Best of Luck :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement