Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on moving from 5.1 to Separates system (Home Cinema)

• 23-05-2006 9:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hopefully someone could give some good advice.

I bought a 5.1 system before I really realised what I really needed and wanted. but as I now have a projector and plasma and dedicated home cinema/living room, Im looking at purchasing a decent system that I can use and can integrate HD DVD/BLU Ray player later. As you can imagine, I can't use the 5.1 on a new HD DVD player that Im looking at bringing in from the US.

I presume Im looking at:

Speakers
    Amplifer
    Subwoofer
    Receiver?
    HD DVD/BLU Ray Player

Is this right?

If I was to estimate a budget for the speakers, amp and subwoofer (add: Receiver?), I believe it will be around 2k ish

I like stylish (tall boy/piano black type) componets and the room is 30 feet long and 12-14 feet wide, so I think I need something decent.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

Hey Maxwell,

Just to clarify your post:
    Are you keeping any part of your 5:1 system, speakers, amp etc...?

If yes, then please repost with 5:1 system spec, speakers, amp, power output or any other useful info.

OR are you buying everything new and starting from scratch?

If this is the case then maybe you could go for 6:1 or ever 7:1 Surround Sound.

Anyhoo, I think you may want to take a look a richer sounds website.
    www.richersounds.ie

They have a wide range of SS stuff at diff price ranges and from what I hear they are very helpful.

Lemme know how u get on?

Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Thanks for your reply Quazzy,

I think I need to start from scratch as this is my current setup (cheap and cheerful, but does the job for now)
    davsb300.jpg

I think I am right in saying that I can't even use the speakers off this system and they are specific to the Sony system - isn't that right?

So,yes Im going to need a new system - but as I already have another couple of DVD players, these can suffice until I get the HDDVD player.

So, I should really go for 6.1 or 7.1 able system then?

I was looking at the richersounds site and will probably make a trip up as Im not really that technical and will definitely need good advice.

Am I right in thinking that with all the cables supplied something like this would work:

HD DVD Player:
    2173_1.jpg

Receiver:
    product_919.jpg

Amplifier:
    product_1091.gif

Subwoofer:
    product_134.gif

Speakers:
    S-VSL3.jpg

Am I missing something?

Maxwell wrote:

I think I need to start from scratch as this is my current setup (cheap and cheerful, but does the job for now)

I think I am right in saying that I can't even use the speakers off this system and they are specific to the Sony system - isn't that right?

Well you probably could actually - it all depends on the type of speaker cable is used. I'll find some images in a while. But if your gonna spend 2K on your set up it might be best to leave them out for now - but its always good to have a backup.
    Maxwell wrote:
    So,yes Im going to need a new system - but as I already have another couple of DVD players, these can suffice until I get the HDDVD player.

So, I should really go for 6.1 or 7.1 able system then?

Its really a matter of preference. 6:1 or 7:1 would mean investing in more speakers so what you could do check if the hardware support 6:1 / 7:1 SS and maybe add an extra speaker or 2 when / if you feel like it.
    Maxwell wrote:

I was looking at the richersounds site and will probably make a trip up as Im not really that technical and will definitely need good advice.

Am I right in thinking that with all the cables supplied something like this would work:

HD DVD Player:

Receiver:

Amplifier:

Subwoofer:

Speakers:

Am I missing something?

All that looks great, but please note I AM NOT AN EXPERT in any way shape or form.

If you really wanna spend your money wisely then consult REAL audiophiles.

So, ring or email richersounds and tell them what u want spend etc. I think a lot of other users that post here have used them - branners it one defo.

I also heard that Clooney Audio in Blackrock ( i think ) are very good at supplying top end AV systems and you can try b4 u buy.
    http://www.cloneyaudio.com/hi-fi.shtml

Good Luck with everything and let me know how it all turns out.

Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

2,000 is entry level for Cloney audio, richersounds.ie is a good bet, and Harvey Norman have demo rooms if you can find a member of staff who could be bothered to let you listen.

I have a Monitor Audio Bronze 7.1 setup (bought from richersounds.ie via Xmusic on the quays) and a Yamaha RX750 amp (7.1), the sound quality is great, and for me music sounds perfect through it too.

You can't really go wrong with amps/receivers from Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer or Marantz, all will have a slightly different sound and feature set, but you won't buy a dog.

Sony are probably oversold, and I'd say stay away from Bose. If you're willing to buy an amp based on reviews without hearing it then there are some serious bargains to be had on german websites.

http://www.technikdirekt.de
    http://www.mediacheckpoint.com/

Though you may have to pay using bank transfer, and warranty repairs can be a hassle, so if you want to risk it you can save many euro!

There was a guy recently selling a lovely Mission setup second hand on boards, not sure if it sold, you can get some serious 2nd hand bargains as people upgrade to this years model. Genuine high quality gear that sounds as good as the day it was bought can be had very cheaply if you don't 'mind' second-hand.

Yes, the cables for the sony davsb300 that I have (pictured) are just the standard 5.1 all in one speaker cables and I don't think they can be amended.

That said, I am looking at something like I have posted, but "her indoors" would like to use them for music aswell and would prefer if they are "separates" and "am spending that much money on them" - that they should match!

Yes, I like the look of the systems aswell and I would love all pioneer or all denon etc, but as I will have a different HD DVD/Blu Ray, Im not sure it will matter too much.

I really want to get a good system as a starter that I can change components over time when new technology comes on board, but keep the speakers, sub, cables etc. I love the look of "tall boy" speakers and like the look of the pioneers I have posted, now I just have to check the tech of them to see if they are any good and see if there is anywhere I can hear them in action.

Hi Ph,

Thanks for the info.

I actually bought my 42" Plasma from Katronics.de and it was a pleasure to deal with them, so I wouldn't have much problem ordering through them again. Think I just need to see what exactly I need first, listen to them and then order as cheaply as I can get.

Xmusic on the quays - do they have set ups there to listen, or are they just a distributor for richersounds? I presume I might have to go up.

As for Harvey Norman's, they have great set up's there - but the staff just aren't interested in really helping you. I went in there prepared to pay 3k on a plasma and they ignored me, glad I went the www route and saved myself a fortune.

Thanks for all the help

If anyone want to recommend something similar to what Im looking at, I would appreciate the advice and recommendations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

The general rule of thumb is to spend twice as much on the speakers as the amp, so if you've got 2k to spend something like 700 on the amp and 1400 on the speakers, it's not an exact thing, it just helps you match equivalent spec kit - there's no point matching great speakers with a crap amp or vice versa.

Something like a Denon 1906 (at about 400) would be perfect. If you want to splash out check out the 2807 it's about 900, but is brand new, gets great reviews and is full of HDMI loveliness.

Yamaha have gotten all prissy and won't allow anyone sell the latest generation online (something like the new 2600), though some retailers may do it they probably won't be able to advertise them on the websites.

I'm very happy with the Monitor Audio bronze speakers, one thing is you could start with a 5.1 set and add the 2 center rears later if you feel like it. There's very little 6.1 stuff let alone 7.1 out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Make sure that whatever amp/receiver (you only need one or the other by the way) you buy had HDMI connections.

If you are going to be using a couple of HD sources you will want to route them through the amp so you only have one connection going to the screen. This should make things easier and give good quality.

Check out this beast:

http://www.denon.co.uk/site/popup/ansicht.php?p=ansicht&Pid=175&bild_nr=4

It is way way above you budget but you can see the HDMI connections.

MrP

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

if you're switchingup from that sony system ,the amplifiers in the receiver alone will blow your mind...try that before you bother with an amplifier, if you then deide you want an amplifer go for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

mossym wrote:
    if you're switchingup from that sony system ,the amplifiers in the receiver alone will blow your mind...try that before you bother with an amplifier, if you then deide you want an amplifer go for it

Generally a reciever is an amplifier with a (radio) tuner in it.

Also it is more multichannel rather than stereo. Having said that, you can get stereo recievers and multichannel amps but these are not so common.

L.

nereid wrote:
    Generally a reciever is an amplifier with a (radio) tuner in it.

Also it is more multichannel rather than stereo. Having said that, you can get stereo recievers and multichannel amps but these are not so common.

L.

well, it's a lot more than that, it's got a dsp core to do multichannel decoding, most new ones will do video switching, it's got a lot more brains than an amplifier.

a receiver is a lot more than an amplifier with a tuner in it

• Advertisement

Wow, where do I start thanking people.

.....Excellent advice there - thanks to all.

I actually didn't know that you didn't need both the amplifier and receiver - and as I will only need the receiver, I can then spend more on the speakers.

I really do like the "tall boy" style of speaker and would like something similar in look (but far better performance obviously) - anyone know of any others in my price range other than the Pioneers I have posted?

Thanks

Another question re: the cables

As I wouldn't know whether what ones I need - do any cables come with the equipment that I will be buying or do they need to be purchased separately. My budget for separate cables was up to €300, is this realistic?

Sorry for the simple questions

i'm a b&w fan for speakers, but they are outside your price range. Great sounding line though

for cables, 300 euros will get you everything you need. You don't need monster cables, get good quality well constructed cables and you'll be fine, Monster are just a good marketing scheme. Get some nice thick guage wire for the speakers, especially the fronts and center.

I have a deneon 3803 driving B&W 6 series speakers all around, and ina pretty big room, and can bring pictures off the wall with the sound if i wanted. an amplifier might clean up the sound to the fronts a bit, but it's not really needed right now, maybe when i get my house built..sigh

See if the receiver you get does video conversion. I feed one set of component cables to my tv, and run component or s-video from all other equipment to my reciever...makes cable running so much easier...the receiver converts all inputs to the component outputs

Maxwell wrote:

Another question re: the cables

As I wouldn't know whether what ones I need - do any cables come with the equipment that I will be buying or do they need to be purchased separately. My budget for separate cables was up to €300, is this realistic?

Sorry for the simple questions

Hey Maxwell,

I have used both of these sites and they are a lot cheaper then Irish retail shops.

Based in England:
    http://stores.ebay.ie/Fill-Your-Boots-Ltd
    http://www.fillyourboots.com/

Based in Ireland:
    http://stores.ebay.ie/Hi-Fi-Cable-He...Q3amesstQQtZkm
    http://www.soundsolutionshifi.com/index.php

Both shops are very informative and helpful. They answered all sorts of silly newby questions that I had.

Regards

Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

mossym wrote:
    See if the receiver you get does video conversion. I feed one set of component cables to my tv, and run component or s-video from all other equipment to my reciever...makes cable running so much easier...the receiver converts all inputs to the component outputs

Given that he is looking at HD do you not think he would be better with a receiver that can switch and output HDMI?

MrP

MrPudding wrote:
    Given that he is looking at HD do you not think he would be better with a receiver that can switch and output HDMI?

MrP

oh totally, good point, sorry, i was just giving my case as an example..should have made that clear..my tv only has component in..but at 48" widescreen 1080i native, i'm reluctant to get rid of it, especially as it journeyed back acrss the atlantic with me!!

definitely go with hdmi switching...although i think that will narrow your choices a lot...and may affect your budget!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Some of the low to mid-price Wharfedale speakers might be worth looking into. Easy to find on eBay too.

Advertisement