Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

80s Tribute Band

Options
  • 23-05-2006 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭

May be putting together an 80s tribute band soon and would like some suggestions from people, even a top ten if you will, of your favourite rock 80s numbers. Can be as cheesy as you like!

Bring on the big hair and massive wailing guitar solos :cool:

PS bands gonna be called Spacehopper- what do ye think? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Have you been to see Spring Break? Cos 80s cover band perfection has already been achieved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

pclancy wrote:

Love it. It's Tap-tastic! Only thing is, though, an 80s hair metal, cock rock tribute band already exists. They're called The Darkness.;)
    But if that doesn't deter you (and I sincerely hope it doesn't), you just gotta do Don't Stop Believing by Journey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

The 80's was the greatest decade for music
    unfortunatly it was also responsible for some terrible cock rock and MOR crap as I assume your band is more of this than the great stuff so I wont bother with a list please give up before you start the last thing the world needs is another cover band.

also there was a band called hopper so you may concider a name change if you want to go ahead with it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

unfortunatly it was also responsible for some terrible cock rock and MOR crap as I assume your band is more of this than the great stuff so I wont bother with a list please give up before you start the last thing the world needs is another cover band.

also there was a band called hopper so you may concider a name change if you want to go ahead with it anyway

Why would you assume that?

Point taken about the cock rock but I was looking for suggestions for some good stuff, not bon jovi etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Rockshandy

Most important question???

DO you have a keyboard player, cos if not, you'll be stuck playin bon jovi ect.

my suggestion,
    More than a feeling by Boston.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Have you been to see Spring Break? Cos 80s cover band perfection has already been achieved.

Exactly, and if you dono't know who they are: www.springbreak80s.com

Quit now, while you're ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

pclancy wrote:

Bad choice. Spacehoppers are synonymous with the 1970's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't know, but I'd say pclancy and his/her buddies are only having a bit of a laugh.

Havnt seen them but their set would be easy game for us. They seem all american though how did they end up over here? Might go give em a look in the sugar club at the end of june.

We do have a keyboard player, fantastic drummer, solid bass and two guitarists that grew up learning 80s rock classics.

I'll let ye know the set when we have it decided.

I agree with the "last thing we need is another cover band" but to be honest the reason im doing this is for money. Bands like Big Generator, Stones Roses experiance etc constantly tour the contry and are making a nice mint for themselves every weekend. We've all been playing in differnet bands for years and just felt like joining the 80s cover bandwagon. Most of us have other regular gigging/paying bands or origonal work, its just another project to have fun and make a few squid on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Hey I didn't mention Spring Break so you could go an rip them off!! I mentioned them just cos, as I said, 80s cover band perfection has been achieved! I wasn't actually suggesting you USE their set!

And no, they're not American, they're full Irish.

• Advertisement

Kooli wrote:
    Hey I didn't mention Spring Break so you could go an rip them off!! I mentioned them just cos, as I said, 80s cover band perfection has been achieved! I wasn't actually suggesting you USE their set!

And no, they're not American, they're full Irish.

:rolleyes: Im not gonna rip them off, i want to see what they sound like, we wouldnt be interested in doing all their set. we'd be going for rockier stuff. Im just interested in seeing why ye all think they're so great! Are you seriously saying that just because one band does one thing no other band should do anything in that same genre? What about all the tribute bands? Floyd? Stone Roses etc?

According to their website they're all american?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Here's a clue, their real names aren't Anthony Michael Stewart Hall, Jan Van Couver etc....

All I'll say is they set the bar for 80s tributes pretty high, so you'd need to be spectacular to compete.

Advertisement