Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Wireless Home Cinema

• 23-05-2006 10:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

I have the normal 5.1 500w wired home Cinema. I got a new wooden floor but down. I was not allowed :) but all the wires back.

I know that there are wireless speakers home cinema around, are they any good? I cant find any good reviews of them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I have a philips HC system with wireless rear speakers. the rear speakers are connected to a receiver between them, so no trailing cables across the room. The sound is fantastic when watching DVDs or listening to music, but stereo or mono broadcasts from the TV can sound a bit off, so I just disable the rear speakers with a setting via the remote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

Thanks mikedragon32,
    How are the speakers powered? Batterys, do you have to change them often?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

you shoudl look into these speakers

http://www.yamaha-uk.com/sound_projectors/?product_id=115

they are absolutely amazing and will sort out all your cable issues
    heard them at the Ausio expo two years ago in London and they blew me away

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MM3

Yes but don't those rely on bouncing the sound off the walls? Not very useful in your typical irish living room, one that doesn't rely on the walls is the polk surround bar http://http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/flatscreens/surroundbar/.
    I'd consider buying one if I could find somewhere in Ireland to demo one...

M

Gilgamesh wrote:
    you should look into these speakers

http://www.yamaha-uk.com/sound_projectors/?product_id=115

they are absolutely amazing and will sort out all your cable issues
    heard them at the Ausio expo two years ago in London and they blew me away

Gilgamesh,
    Thanks, it looks very good, I checked out some reviews.

My only problem is that the area I have the TV in is an open plan area, so the TV area has only 3 walls, how much of a problem will this be?

Are windows and curtains a problem with this system?

Will the sound quality be any good with only 3 walls (FYI : the missing wall in the diamond shaped room is the back right)?

I still think that i will get this anyway (in a few months) is it still worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

I had a look at the Philips system recently. Whilst you won't have cables running to the rear speakers, the speakers themselves ARE connected by cabling. The problem here is if there is a door between your rear speakers you'll have to cable around it.

the yamaha system isn't dependant on bouncing off walls, the sounds is pushed into different directions which your ears pickup from around you.
    I believe it would help to have walls but It definetly isn't a requirement.
    I saw tyhem move this puppy around the area with different layouts to simulate the differences in the different locations and I was gobsmacked that there was hardly any difference

a friend of mine is getting one shortly and I will be the first one to listen to it.

They did however recommend that you by an active subwoofer for it, as the basses suffer a bit due to the size of the speakers.

Gilgamesh wrote:
    the yamaha system isn't dependant on bouncing off walls, the sounds is pushed into different directions which your ears pickup from around you.
    I believe it would help to have walls but It definetly isn't a requirement.
    I saw tyhem move this puppy around the area with different layouts to simulate the differences in the different locations and I was gobsmacked that there was hardly any difference

a friend of mine is getting one shortly and I will be the first one to listen to it.

They did however recommend that you by an active subwoofer for it, as the basses suffer a bit due to the size of the speakers.

Thanks Gilgamesh,
    Can you tell how it sounds when your friend gets it thanks?

I have a non-powered 100w sony sub. Could i use this with the yamaha system?

no problem,

I can tell you now it sounds great, I have already heard one live at the Expo two years ago,

the passive sub might be a problem, in theory it should work, but I doubt the Yamaha will be able to bring enough power to it alone, just going by the size of the power supply.

you could probably link a Pre amp from a car to the sub or even better would be to get an active sub for ideal performance

Thanks for all your help, I eventually got the YSP-800.

I am very happy with it so far. The sound is very clear and rich. I will probably get the Sub woofer just to add some more base. It sits very neatly under the tv.

• Advertisement
Advertisement