Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodys views on Hunting (Split from AI Thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

So Woody is back looking for help from his old friends.....

And worse again, all are running to him with open arms, Jeez lads, you all have very short memories.
    I may earn myself a ban for flaming but I think you are quite cheeky coming back here looking for advice after the decidedly anti hunting/shooting sentiments you expressed on a parrallel forum to this.

If this gets me my ban so be it but in my opinion people who dont like shooting are perfectly entitled to their standpoint at least they have their principles, but two faced people just make me sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

Chopperdog wrote:
    So Woody is back looking for help from his old friends.....

And worse again, all are running to him with open arms, Jeez lads, you all have very short memories.
    I may earn myself a ban for flaming but I think you are quite cheeky coming back here looking for advice after the decidedly anti hunting/shooting sentiments you expressed on a parrallel forum to this.

If this gets me my ban so be it but in my opinion people who dont like shooting are perfectly entitled to their standpoint at least they have their principles, but two faced people just make me sick.

Hold on for one second ...

My Post was in regards to Hunting (animals) and badly trained shooters in Ireland...

I am an avivid target shooter and no longer a hunter for several reasons.

This by far is a thread that I like most as it has a lot of level headed good and knowledgable people.

If you read that post it will explain one thing.... Hunting for Sport is not a nice thing to do IMHO and target shooting is more enjoyable...

So before making sweeping statements as such read into it a little more...

And also what I was point at was there was a few gun nuts coming to the shooting thread no more no less, hence giving us a NRA nut branding !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

I was a hunter for years and still own firearms but refuse now to kill for sport as it is wrong.

I own several guns including a pistol now and several shotguns and all are for target and clay shooting, I dont see the point if I am not hungry but again most people who kill for sport are idiots and dont realise or care about the suffering they cause.

I recently shot a fox that was partly mutilated by an idiot with a shotgun and was left in pain apart from that no...

Hunting in my opinion unless it is because of livestock depletion or health reasons ie.. rats etc, should be banned

Most people aswell in this country are ill trained idiots that shoot everything...

Now my final point for the two people acting the maggot here is primarily true as little or no-one in ireland has training, which is frightening and also dangerous... So again not a stab at here but the overall structure that needs to be revised and then make us a more plausable entity...

How many signs have you seen blasted, animals left half dead etc etc

I am all for shooting but also for teaching and safety

woody wrote:
    Now my final point for the two people acting the maggot here is primarily true as little or no-one in ireland has training, which is frightening and also dangerous... So again not a stab at here but the overall structure that needs to be revised and then make us a more plausable entity...

How many signs have you seen blasted, animals left half dead etc etc

I am all for shooting but also for teaching and safety

I shoot, but I do not hunt. However I have many friends who have hunted for years, either as a form of pest control or for sport.

There is nothing wrong with what they do as they have full and proper respect for the animals which they hunt, they will rear and release more birds then they shoot and they will, at all times, shoot to drop the animal / bird in the first shot and will track the aniaml to put it out of its pain if they should only wound it.

Why should they be punished by a blanket ban on hunting because of the actions of a small minority of idiots?

Why should they be punished by a blanket ban on hunting for going on international training courses on hunting and shooting techniques at a large personal cost?

Please note that i don't want to get into a fight over hunting - i'm just trying to show a more rounded view

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Ok, I don't agree with woody's view on hunting but that doesn't mean he isn't entitled to his opinion.

I don't like target shooting all that much but hey what ever floats his boat.

Also he didn't post it in here in the shooting forum so i don't really care

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

No bans here, everyone's entitled to their opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭17HMR

I shoot, but I do not hunt. However I have many friends who have hunted for years, either as a form of pest control or for sport.

I take the view that hunting and sport are mutually exclusive.
    Hunting is the killing of animals for food or protection. And, in my opinion, these are the only morally acceptable reasons for killing animals.

Killing for sport is just killing for sport.
    Such people have no right to call themselves hunters.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

What about culling?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Emotive subject folks, just all try to bear in mind that our individual opinions are just that, not religious dogma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭17HMR

Rew wrote:
    What about culling?

Where is can legitimately be regarded as protection, either of the environment, other species/habitats, or the animals themselves, don't see a problem.

Its the "I gotta kill me somethin' today" mentality of those (few) that kill purely for "sport" that I'm having a go at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Originally Posted by woody
    Most people aswell in this country are ill trained idiots that shoot everything...

On the contrary ...although it is unfortunate that many such people exist, to say that the are the majority is entirely inaccurate....IMHO they are by far the minority of shooters and are, hopefully, diminishing (perhaps this may not seem the case as the actions of 1 such shooter in a locality will by far outshadow those of 100 more responsible shooters who do not disturb anyone :( ).
    Obviously those who learn from these people will undoubtedly pick up bad habits, but most gun clubs around the country don't tolerate this reckless behaviour as it does make it difficult for responsible shooters to be accepted by farmers and all peoples in any given locality.
    I know of several places where we can no longer shoot due to the actions of a few be it shooting at signs, gates, shining high power lamps on houses and sheds, or even just damaging fences when getting over them.:mad:

To brand everyone like this is much the same as what the insurance companies in this country do...making it difficult for responsible young drivers to use the roads....charging exorbetent rates due to the actions of a few little *****************************:mad:************************************************
    *************************************************:mad:****************************

(as you can see ^^^ that is something I fell strongly about but it's not for this forum :rolleyes: )

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Give over on the "**" :mad:

I tend to agree that Woody is over generalising. We do have problems with muppets shooting signs etc. but the majority of shooters are more then compitiant, if they weren't we would be having accidents left right and center.

And on a side note there are plenty of muppets in clubs, they are far from the be all and end of learning safety and how to shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

Woody, you posted on a thread about the shooting forum. I think you were more than a little bit disingenuous to the members of this forum when you said that we were mostly 'ill trained idiots'. You may think that running around the Cooley Mountains shouting, bang, bang, or freezing your arse of in the butts at Red Barns qualifies you to make this kind of observation but if you have learned anything from this forum it will be that the shooting community is a diverse and eclectic group. I have to say that what you said seriously p1ssed me off and yes I was waiting in the long grass. If you had these strong views about hunting, you could have talked to us, we would have listened, debated, agreed and disagreed.
    So now your back, looking for advice from the 'idiots' but guess what your sh1t is still on the doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Give over on the "**"
    lol sorry I got carried away :D

And on a side note there are plenty of muppets in clubs, they are far from the be all and end of learning safety and how to shoot.

I'm fully aware of that, but most clubs will have lots of people who know what they are doing ...obviously there will always be muppets in any club...particularly because its neccessary (for most people) to be in club to get a licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

macnas wrote:
    Woody, you posted on a thread about the shooting forum. I think you were more than a little bit disingenuous to the members of this forum when you said that we were mostly 'ill trained idiots'. You may think that running around the Cooley Mountains shouting, bang, bang, or freezing your arse of in the butts at Red Barns qualifies you to make this kind of observation but if you have learned anything from this forum it will be that the shooting community is a diverse and eclectic group. I have to say that what you said seriously p1ssed me off and yes I was waiting in the long grass. If you had these strong views about hunting, you could have talked to us, we would have listened, debated, agreed and disagreed.
    So now your back, looking for advice from the 'idiots' but guess what your sh1t is still on the doorstep.

+1

I guess macnas, Woody feels,
    there aint nobody in the forum, that he knows of,
    that's, professional enough, like what he is.....:D :D:D

Dvs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

100% with Macnas and DVS.
    Woody is free to give out about shooters all he likes but by doing so he is cutting himself off from alot of 'friends' on this forum.
    Do you really expect to be accepted back here in good faith after you slagged off, derided and insulted most of the posters here?
    As far as i see it your bridges have been well burnt.

Advertisement