Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

selling a car without NCT

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Gurgle wrote:
    Here's how I read it:

You found that they had it advertised for €20k

You now want it for less than €20k because you don't 'feel' you got the bargain you thought you were getting.

Would that be an accurate summary?

The car was advertised incorrectly in the first place, I would be pretty pi$$ed off if I found out I paid the asking price.
    I dealers asking price is not necessarily his final price, especially in the current car climate of SSIA madness.

However, because a deposit was paid, legally this is a contract between the dealer and the buyer.

If it was me, I would look around at other ones and tell the dealer to keep his 100 euro deposit. You’ll find one for cheaper than 19900 if you haggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Mc-BigE wrote:
    I would be pretty pi$$ed off if I found out I paid the asking price.
    Asking price is meaningless.
    When you're buying a car, new or second-hand the 'asking price' just sets the ballpark.
    The sale price will reflect:
    How much the car is worth to you.
    How badly the dealer wants to liquidate it as an asset.
    Whos better at haggling.

Bumping the starting price up when the negotiations start is the oldest trick in the book. At a guess, the OP went into the garage and said 'thats got €20k on it, how much will you let it go for' or some such amateur attempt at bargaining.

Of course the dealer's target price is €20k and in this case it turns out that the dealer was a better haggler.

So the OP agreed a price, paid a deposit then later copped on that he hadn't really succeded in the haggling.

Would you honestly expect to get anywhere going back to the dealer and saying 'Hey, I'm not happy with the price we agreed yesterday, how about I give you less?'

And then to go whining on boardsie about how he was tricked?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Gurgle wrote:
    Asking price is meaningless.
    When you're buying a car, new or second-hand the 'asking price' just sets the ballpark.
    The sale price will reflect:
    How much the car is worth to you.
    How badly the dealer wants to liquidate it as an asset.
    Whos better at haggling.

Bumping the starting price up when the negotiations start is the oldest trick in the book. At a guess, the OP went into the garage and said 'thats got €20k on it, how much will you let it go for' or some such amateur attempt at bargaining.

Of course the dealer's target price is €20k and in this case it turns out that the dealer was a better haggler.

So the OP agreed a price, paid a deposit then later copped on that he hadn't really succeded in the haggling.

Would you honestly expect to get anywhere going back to the dealer and saying 'Hey, I'm not happy with the price we agreed yesterday, how about I give you less?'

And then to go whining on boardsie about how he was tricked?:rolleyes:

I pretty much agree with everything your saying, i went back to re-read the OP #1 thread and the sticker price was 20K and the net price was 21K, well to me the op should not have accepted that straight away.

I still think if I was the op I would tell the buyer to keep the 100 deposit (put it down to experience) and move on , the dealer might ring him back in a week or two when other buyers are haggling the merc down to 18 or less!:)

Anyway the OP is probably driving this merc by now, so this conversation is probably pointless:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Gurgle wrote:
    or some such amateur attempt at bargaining.

Please dont assume you understand my bargaining skills....

and yes i am driving the car now..... very impressed with it and we met half way.....so am overall happy, and when you throw in the 6 months tax and the fill of petrol and the first service, not a bad bit of bargaining after all !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

oleras wrote:
    and yes i am driving the car now..... very impressed with it and we met half way.....so am overall happy, and when you throw in the 6 months tax and the fill of petrol and the first service, not a bad bit of bargaining after all !!
    Congratulations & best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Gurgle wrote:
    Congratulations & best of luck with it.

Thanks....:)

Advertisement