Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD's new AM2 Platform Launched

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Not impressed at all..

The next system I will even remotely consider is:

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=5692

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Was reading about this too here. This pretty much sums it up:
    While there is nothing new in terms of core performance, AMD has made some great strides when it comes to power consumption in their non-FX line of processors. This of course is good for everyone as we are seeing major wattage drops with AM2. This means cooler running processors not dumping so much heat into our cases which house other components. Also these are not small decreases in wattage as you can see below. Some of these wattage drops can be be described as incredible.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

There is little or no performance difference between S939 and Am2 at the minute.

But its just laying the ground work for K8L and DDR2/3...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I really thought all this was going to settle down for a while

2006 - AMD has AM2
    2006 - Intel has Conroe
    2007 - AMD will launch K8-L chips, no doubt Intel will launch something new again

I really enjoyed the stability of Socket 939, and knowing it was the bee's knee's. Now it looks like there's going to be alot going on, and nothing will hold the crown for too long. What the hell is someone supposed to go for!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

As a computer building novice, is it worth shelling out the extra cash for these 'incredible' power consumption drops and lower heat outputs? Are AMD chips already not pretty cool (thermally speaking of course!)?

• Advertisement

AMD chips are cool in more ways than one:D

Anyway, I wouldnt go AM2 right away as there is no advantage over S939......

There are little or no motherboards available yet and the new chips could also have some teething issues like all new products........

But If you are building from scratch, maybe AM2 is the better choice:confused:

Its a tough decision with all the new stuff around the corner....

And if the Pentium Ms and Core Duos are anything to go by, Conroe will be a gaming beast......

Darn im confused!

Ive planned to build a computer since last august, i only have the time and money around late june (graduation baby!) to invest in this hobby. I want a rig that can act as the family computer by day and a machine to run nerdy games like Civ 4 and Oblivion by night (and early morning hours...teehee). Would a S939 with a nice dual core chip and some decent ram be the way to go? Or should i invest in the AM2? If you buy a socket 939 now, how long at the top-flight, premiership of gaming action can you stay, assuming you buy a new card to keep up?

Well into 2007......

K8L isnt due until Q1 2007 and will probably be delayed/scarce........

Actually, S939 is stable and reasonably priced, I would go for a S939 system with 1/2 gigs of ram and a 7600gt.........

Whats your budget?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I'll wait until Conroe launches, i have already ordered and have in the mail some G.Skill DDR2 800MHz memory, 2GB kit with 4-4-4-12 timings.

So either platform will be good with that memory. Hopefully by the time Conroe drops the AM2 hardware will drop in price slightly.

Personally i LOVE the new Gigabyte nForce 590 SLI mobo!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

i cant wait for conroe to be released, itll blow the competition out of the water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Would a S939 with a nice dual core chip and some decent ram be the way to go?

I have just built a S939 computer (my first) and I am really happy with the results. Based on what I have read about AM2, there is no major benefit in going for it right now (for all the reasons above and the fact that it will be more expensive than the existing processors). I would go with a Socket 939 build, X2 4200+, 2 Gigs of Ram and an x1900XT. That would more than run the games you mentioned in your post and would set you back around €1,500.

Thx for info guys

Sorry for late reply, Conzymaher, my budget would be about 2 to 2500 euro. I need to fit a monitor into that aswell, but might wait for a decent set of speakers as the ones that came with my dell are surprisingly good. Im thinking maybe a 21 to 24 inch widescreen monitor, tho ive heard things about Dells latest range being a bit suspicious (the 30 inch me thinks?)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If you're buying in the next few weeks, go AM2, you'd be silly not to, as there's no price premium for it. Beyond that, wait for Conroe probs. Building on S939 now would be like building on S754 just before S939 was released.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

astrofool wrote:
    If you're buying in the next few weeks, go AM2, you'd be silly not to, as there's no price premium for it. Beyond that, wait for Conroe probs. Building on S939 now would be like building on S754 just before S939 was released.

Nah, So939 is still good, and with the new sh!t, it will only get cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

whats the story with 940 boards and opterons? will they make use of am2? and also i see 2 processor slots on 940 boards http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=314951, is this because you fit 2 proccesors eg will i have to buy 2 of these http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=309856 or will it come with 2 and does this mean quad core pc's??

Ive been reading around and most people say dont bother with AM2, dont even go with cheap 939, just wait it out for this new 'conroe' from intel. How long would one have to wait? And IF you do go socket 939 now, are you making future upgrades very difficult. Like buying a classic car, will parts be rare and expensive??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Buy an Intel 975XBX Rev. -301 motherboard, a Pentium D805 and hope that the mobo will support Conroe when it gets released.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I built an S939 system and I was looking at the AM2 but it would require such an amount of cash to change i couldnt be bothered. especially if i had to buy a new mobo ram and chip..

The S939 are rock solid at the moment and the 4400+ seems to have the best price points or maybe the 4200 i cant rememeber

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

You need revision 304 for the Intel XBX mobo to work with Conroe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Ive been reading around and most people say dont bother with AM2, dont even go with cheap 939, just wait it out for this new 'conroe' from intel. How long would one have to wait? And IF you do go socket 939 now, are you making future upgrades very difficult. Like buying a classic car, will parts be rare and expensive??

You can only listen to other peolpe up to a certain point, especially on the interweb as everyone will think they are a genius.

As for holding off for Conroe.. When Conroe finally hits stores, Directx 10 will be around the corner.. People will be telling you to hold off until ATi or Nvidia realease DirectX 10 cards.. It is a never ending cycle and sometimes you just have to take the plunge..

I built my machine in February.. A few people suggested holding off for AM2 as compatibility with DDR2 RAM should provide a big performance boost.. I considered it as AM2 was only aroudn the corner.. 5 month later it still has not been released and it turns out that the promised performance increases just are not there..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

http://www.custompc.ie/news.php?id=1 - Good to see Zalman jump on the bandwagon!!

Advertisement