Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Marty Friedman up to these days?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

It's unfortunate that he lost his mind.

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Yea theres an article in a previous Guitar World that really stands out in my mind. It was an interview with Mustaine where someone asked him about Friedman's change in direction and Mustaine replied with something along the lines of "During the recording of Risk I think the mainstream influences at the time affected Marty the most and I think thats what contributed to it". I jsut find it funny how someone can go from one genre to a completely different one just like that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I count Marty as one of my biggest influences as a player, and I'm also a fan of some Japanese pop music... Is this a vision of what's in store for me? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

At least she's a good looking lass, so I can see why this happened :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

Marty is a a brilliant player. Dragons Kiss is a great album. Music for Speeding really has that J-Pop sound to it I thought. Whats the deal with himself and Paul Gilbert going oriental?

• Advertisement

dimerocks wrote:
    Marty is a a brilliant player. Dragons Kiss is a great album. Music for Speeding really has that J-Pop sound to it I thought. Whats the deal with himself and Paul Gilbert going oriental?

I never got Music For Speeding. I probably should nab it at some point.

The deal with himself and Gilbert going oriental though? Well specifically they went all Japanese because they were extremely well recieved in Japan. Same with a lot of solo guitarists, the likes of Vai, Satch, Michael Angelo, they're all big over there. Hell, look at the mount of live albums and DVDs that are recorded over there, The Haunted - Live Rounds Over Tokyo, G3 - Live In Tokyo, Dream Theater - Live At Budokan, there's feckloads!

While we're at it, here's Marty Friedman and Paul Gilbert on some Japanese Heavy Metal show.

And speaking of TV shows, supposedly Marty has his own over in Japan.

Why don't we have such awesome TV over here? :(

Well specifically they went all Japanese because they were extremely well recieved in Japan. Same with a lot of solo guitarists, the likes of Vai, Satch, Michael Angelo, they're all big over there.

True, but Mr. Friedman is really into their culture as well and he speaks the language fluently too.

Ancient1 wrote:
    True, but Mr. Friedman is really into their culture as well and he speaks the language fluently too.

Yeah, even his style is influenced by traditional Japanese music. If you've ever seen the Essential Marty Friedman DVD (Which I recommend) there's a section about it.

I've only seen Melodic Control. Doesn't he have a new DVD out now (supposedly amazing) called 99 guitar secrets or some such thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It was more surprising when I heard Music For Speeding! When I did hear it I didn't know anything about him, other than he was the guitarist in Megadeth so I think that's why I was so surprised. I later got Dragon's Kiss though, really liked it.

Ancient1 wrote:
    I've only seen Melodic Control. Doesn't he have a new DVD out now (supposedly amazing) called 99 guitar secrets or some such thing?

Yeah, I wasn't mad on his new one at all. The Essential Marty Friedman is probably the best one in my opinion, but Melodic Control is excellent too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

They must speak really crap japanese because they have subtitles and the presenters don't. Paul Gilbert really sucks at this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Good ol marty, Just goes to show you that hes not all about shreading, a truly great guitar player that can play all styles.

Patricide wrote:
    Good ol marty, Just goes to show you that hes not all about shreading, a truly great guitar player that can play all styles.

Yes, I suppose that's one way of looking at it.

Advertisement