Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question about Dumbledore [Contains Spoilers, so it does]

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

Gurgle wrote:
    Book 7:
    Professor McGonagle is in the shower, steps out, towels off and wanders into the kitchen to find Dumbledore calmly drinking a coffee and reading the Daily Prophet - It was all a dream.

:) I guess I can't argue with the classics

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ok jk is a b!tch because Book 7 has been ready to be relised for about a year and a bit now, when is it coning out???

What do you mean it's been ready for a year? In an interview made right after the release of book six (i.e July 2005), Jo said that she hadn't yet begun to write the book and would begin sometime in the new year. Given that the books take her about a year to write, that would suggest that she won't finish writing book seven for another six months. Am I mistaken?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

No, you're not mistaken, odhran.

Knoodles, I don't know where you get your information from, but it's most definately incorrect. JK hasn't even finished writing book 7 yet, never mind the 6 months or so it'll spend with the publishers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

Whens it coming out?!? I have to plan when to start reading Book 1

• Advertisement

The most popular theory suggests the 7th of July, 2007 (aka 07/07/07).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

ooo! mistical

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I don't think Dumbledore is dead.

My main reasoning is the way he died. We're led to believe that he was hit by Avada Kedavra (sp?), but Snape does not shout the incantation, being highly skilled at non-verbal casting, so it might not be Avada Kedavra but some other spell that looks like it (we know Snape was proficient at creating spells).
    Also when Dumbledore is hit by the curse, he is blown away by the force of it. Something, which to the best of my memory, that has not happened to any other victim of the Killing Curse.

Opinions?

I think you were supposed to assume that Dumbledore was blown away by the force of it due to the strenght of Snape's hatred for him. The line is "Snape gazed for a moment at Dumbledore, and there was revulsion and hatred etched in the harsh lines of his face".

I definatly see where you're coming from, though. Cedric just kind of fell over and died, there was no big blast or anything.

Faith wrote:
    I think you were supposed to assume that Dumbledore was blown away by the force of it due to the strenght of Snape's hatred for him. The line is "Snape gazed for a moment at Dumbledore, and there was revulsion and hatred etched in the harsh lines of his face".

I definatly see where you're coming from, though. Cedric just kind of fell over and died, there was no big blast or anything.
    Plus no-one goes straight to Dumbledores body leaving him plenty of time to set up a fake body and get away.

I just really don't want Dumbly to be dead!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

well I was just thinking, JK keeps getting more and more adult with the books ( I can't think of the term for it) and I think bringing Dumbly back to life is something that would happen with book 1, 2 or 3, it is too serious now. Although I do think Dumbledore is a brilliant character, my respect for JK as a writer will sink if Dumbledore comes back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

i think he's dead.

i hope he is.
    great character 'n all, but as someone said, it will make book 6 even worse for me if he comes back to life...

although i did like the joined Snape/Dumbly theory, trying to prove to Snape was loyal.. hhmmmm.

Slurms wrote:
    I don't think Dumbledore is dead.

My main reasoning is the way he died. We're led to believe that he was hit by Avada Kedavra (sp?), but Snape does not shout the incantation, being highly skilled at non-verbal casting, so it might not be Avada Kedavra but some other spell that looks like it (we know Snape was proficient at creating spells).
    Also when Dumbledore is hit by the curse, he is blown away by the force of it. Something, which to the best of my memory, that has not happened to any other victim of the Killing Curse.

Opinions?

That's pretty much the www.dumbledoreisnotdead.com theory, right? I can't really remember it exactly, but I think that website argues a similar idea and puts forward some good points. I still don't know if I want him to come back though...

actually I was just thinking, never before in the book, to my memory, does a wizard cast Avada Kedavra non-verbally, not even Voldy

odhran wrote:
    That's pretty much the www.dumbledoreisnotdead.com theory, right? I can't really remember it exactly, but I think that website argues a similar idea and puts forward some good points. I still don't know if I want him to come back though...
    Is it? I must look at that website and see their points.

Marts wrote:
    actually I was just thinking, never before in the book, to my memory, does a wizard cast Avada Kedavra non-verbally, not even Voldy

I think that's because the concept of non-verbal spells was only introduced in book 6.

the professors did spells without speaking: Snape, many a time, non-verbally cleared the tables of spilt potions, and whats-her-face the transfiguration professor changed her desk into a pig and back again non verbally. there are more times. also James turned Snape upside down in book 5 non verbally

Marts wrote:
    the professors did spells without speaking: Snape, many a time, non-verbally cleared the tables of spilt potions, and whats-her-face the transfiguration professor changed her desk into a pig and back again non verbally. there are more times. also James turned Snape upside down in book 5 non verbally

Yes, but as a concept it wasn't discussed until book six. Also, there's a huge difference between turning somebody upside-down and killing somebody. Surely performing Avada Kedevra non-verbally would require huge amounts of power and concentration...

Advertisement