Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ever just drove away or are you to honest

Options
  • 23-05-2006 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

I have never being in this situation, but if I were I think I would have to own up.

I was just wondering if you have ever banged into a car in a car park or ever crashed and gave wrong information to try and cover your tracks. We all know that it’s a BIG price to pay even for a small bang into another car.

just like to know if anyone has any stories or experiences they have had..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

No, cause if someone did that to me i would be seriously p*ssed...Anyone that does it is a coward

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

came back to find the arch over my front right wheel had been scratched and paint taken off by someone who must have been terrible at reversing/parking.

wasnt too mad, was cheap and easy to fix, i dont mind scratchs and stuff, i mean thats life, people make mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

draffodx wrote:
    came back to find the arch over my front right wheel had been scratched and paint taken off by someone who must have been terrible at reversing/parking.

wasnt too mad, was cheap and easy to fix, i dont mind scratchs and stuff, i mean thats life, people make mistakes.

How cheap? Someone scratched about one of my wheel arches trying to park, and it cost me €450 to get fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Only this weekend I was washing my new-to-me car and noticed a ding in the rear passanger side door, exactly as if it got a wallop in a carpark. I know the ding wasn't there previously.

I hate the pig ignorant, stuck up, selfish type of person who does this and drives off :|. It makes me sick, and if I ever catch someone trying to drive away, even if it is not my car, they will sure be sorry.....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,906 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Friend of mine has a reserved space in a multi-storey paid for by his job. Sometimes he uses it for his car, sometimes his bike. The bike has been reversed into and knocked over three times, causing substantial damage, and each time the driver tried to do a runner but was stopped by the security guard (alerted by the wailing bike alarm no doubt.)

Incidentally, all three would-be hit'n'runners were women.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Cousin of mine was dragged into the cop station and was told he was after smashing into a car and causing over 1 grand worth of damage, the person he hit was lucky to get his number plate as he drove off. The Garda where going mental at him

He pleaded innocence and they where not believing him till they mentioned the date of this so called "crash", it was the day of his mate wedding so he wasnt even in Dublin for that whole weekend, couple of calls to us and we all called in and gave statements saying he was out of Dublin with us so couldnt have hit the car and drove off.

Only thing was Garda then wouldnt tell us hte name of the bast**d that was puting this claim forward......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 powermac

backed into a merc only a few weeks ago outside my girlfriends house.
    Was only a slight tap, but knocked on the owners door and told him what i had done. Both of us went out to assess the damage and luckily he had none apart from a slightly bent reg plate.

I hate carparks and always try and place my car into a space where 2 exist together or in a spot where there are the lesser of cars. Ive seen some of my friends cars that have been abused by others' cars and it seems the majority of owners just have no respect for other peoples property. Dented bumpers, scratches on doors etc and no details left. Its bloody terrible to come out and see a a bent in your door where someone has clearly parked too close to your car and opened there door at full force.

If i ever seen such an event happen i would take down the reg and leave a note in the victims window. Fair is fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm constantly getting dinged at work, and not one note left so far. I try to park in the area where the wider spots are or beside a pillar, so there is only one car directly next to me.

I have been lucky with the new car so far, it was absolutely spotless when I got it, so quite keen to keep it that way!

What gets me is people who throw their door open, wallop the car beside them and don't even pause to have a look at any damage as if nothing happened at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

about a year ago i was in an underground car park, woman in an estate comes in, tries to reverse into a tight space beside a pillar and CRASHHH..

the whole back windscreen is taken out with glass everywhere!! Then she just sped off and out like nothing had happened :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

smarty wrote:
    How cheap? Someone scratched about one of my wheel arches trying to park, and it cost me €450 to get fixed.

only cost me £80(Punt) to get mine fixed.

people that open there door and wallop it off your car is annoying though, i was sitting in my car once when this women pulled up in the space beside me with her kids and one her kids walloped the door off my car, i put down my window and asked if she was gonna apologise for that and she said he's only a kid what do you expect and walked off!

luckily there was no damage. hate ignorant people like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Had my car a week
    went out in the evening saw a piece of paper on windscreen
    firtst thought was ahh a parkin ticket,
    luckily it was a note from a lady apologising for hitting my mirror. She left name and hotel no where she was staying. car was parked on the street but there wasnt even a scratch on the mirror. just a little crack agout 1 cm which you could only see if you pushed the mirror a bit. Its a 90 starlet so didnt even ring her. funny enough that same mirror was ripped off by some vandal last night. The other side was stolen last thu night, Least its just a trip to scrapyard €15, but think they will run out of mirrors for me if this keeps happening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Big Nelly wrote:
    Only thing was Garda then wouldnt tell us hte name of the bast**d that was puting this claim forward......

likely there was no malice by the person who reported it, simply a wrong digit or two in the numberplate they thought they caught.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The missus owned up to reversing my car into a brand new mini and left her number - €450, not too bad IMO.

A lad drove into the side of my car when I was in it, damage wasn't too bad, I polished the worst of it out so I rang him the following day and told him not to worry as I wouldn't be getting it re-sprayed.

I was parked in the short term, away on a business trip, came back & seen a note on my windscreen with a phone number - false. My rear arch had taken a nice ding.

Hopefully Karma will prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Friend of mine reversed into my car one night doin over a grands worth of damage, but didn't realise! Only when I was givin out about the scumbag who hit me and drove off did he twig that it could have been him. Went out and checked the rear of his car and sure enough it was damaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

eoin_s wrote:
    What gets me is people who throw their door open, wallop the car beside them and don't even pause to have a look at any damage as if nothing happened at all.

Now this happened to me and I think it is very funny, was in Blanch village one day and was in GF car(passenger), anyway she pulled into a carpark and parked(or what she called parking) anyway I could only open the door slightly but made sure to keep hold of it so it wouldnt tap car beside her, got out and walked off down the road...hear a roar but paided no attention

Anyway came back about 30 mins later and this guy comes running towards me shouting and roaring, saying he was on the phone to the Garda dectective, so calmly I asked what seemed to be the problem. Starts roaring then that I am giving him hastle down the phone and to send a squad car down. So I started to laugh and asked again what was the problem. Then start going on that I smashed my car door into his and had done damage. SO I said I didnt and walked around to look at this "damage" he jumps in front of me and starts going on down the mobile again

So I took out my mobile, he see me and asks me who Im ring, I said the Garda to get them to sort this out. His face dropped, he was never on the phone at all to the Garda, so I stay there with phone to my ear but I didnt push ring, next thing he says "Oh the damage isnt too bad so its ok" so I sat on phone anyway and goes to him "Its ringing"....so next thing he hops in car, so I make out I hung up and walked over and hopped into car(GF has moved it out now) so we are driving away and next thing he comes running over and starts asking does my GF have insurance, so I take out mobile again and make out Im ringing. He runs off back to car......

There are some right gobs**s in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

I was in Kerry for a weekend... just had my new company car a few weeks , Anyway myself and herself sitting in the car parked in a supervalue carpark. When there is a bang of the back of the car, woman with trolly straight into the back of the car...And she never even took notice.... i was raging, missus told me to leave it ..so i did for 30 seconds untill she banged the car again

I got out and told her to be careful with my car, she had the cheek to deny hitting it even though the scrath marks from the trolley were there and the trolly was tight up agianst my bumper.

Women are Def the worst - I told her i was ringing the guards....then she admitted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 PCRed

Saw an old dear, about 80 years old, in a car park in Sutton driving a starlet, reverse park into a spot and she wasn't doing very well so decided to give up on it. As she pulled out to turn out of the spot she nearly ripped the bumper off a Suzuki jeep, but rather than stop and have a look she paused and drove away. Luckily I was quick enough to get her reg, I left it on the jeep along with my no. The lady who's jeep it was got on to myself and the gardai, aparently there was no such car registered.
    Either a dodgey 80 year old or a dopey garda?
    Who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Practically everyone has been hit or scrope at some stage. My mondeo got at least 10 such bangs during my time in college, the worst requiring the drivers door to be resprayed and a bumper replaced, the smallet being a ding from another car door. No one ever owned up and I paid about €500 or so to get a lot of the damage repaired a few years ago.

I have never knowingly damaged another car, but if I did, I don't know would I leave a note. I know it isnt the right attitude, nor is it particularly praiseworthy, and probably won't get me to heaven, but after paying for the damage others did to my car I don't feel generous enough to pay for the damage I might to other peoples cars as well.

Makes you wonder would women still have cheaper insurance than men if they owned up to all of these "incidents" ;)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The best advice i've ever been given for avoiding bangs and dents in my car is to stay the hell away from anything in the car park that looks like it regularly contains kids.
    Keep an eye out for baby seats, toys in the back etc, and park well the **** away from 'em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Stephen wrote:
    The best advice i've ever been given for avoiding bangs and dents in my car is to stay the hell away from anything in the car park that looks like it regularly contains kids.
    Keep an eye out for baby seats, toys in the back etc, and park well the **** away from 'em.

Very wise. Also it is a good idea to avoid parking beside Punto's, Cinquencentos, or anything that looks shabby.

The safest place is normally between the two most expensive cars you can find!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i would run, only kidding.
    i would leave a note on the window with phone number etc cause if it happened to me i would be pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Only time I ever hit another car was many years ago. I drove into a small carpark on the grounds of RTE only to realise there were no spaces. Reversed back out and hit a Fiat Uno that must have just parked on the road (illegally) and I must have missed it in my mirror. Not a scratch on my bumper, but there was a small scratch / dent in the Uno. Rather than leaving a note, I went into the building that the driver parked in front of and after a good search, I found the (lady) driver. We exchanged names and addresses and agreed that she would get it fixed, send me the receipt and I'd post the cheque out to her. When I got the receipt, I sent her the cheque by returning post

Cost: £60
    Value: I felt like a better person than I thought I was. Still do when I think about it again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

unkel wrote:
    Only time I ever hit another car was many years ago. I drove into a small carpark on the grounds of RTE only to realise there were no spaces. Reversed back out and hit a Fiat Uno that must have just parked on the road (illegally) and I must have missed it in my mirror. Not a scratch on my bumper, but there was a small scratch / dent in the Uno. Rather than leaving a note, I went into the building that the driver parked in front of and after a good search, I found the (lady) driver. We exchanged names and addresses and agreed that she would get it fixed, send me the receipt and I'd post the cheque out to her. When I got the receipt, I sent her the cheque by returning post

Cost: £60
    Value: I felt like a better person than I thought I was. Still do when I think about it again :D
    that was so good of you to do that.theres not many people like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Wing Walker

Don't you just hate it when you take time to look after a car and then some f**ker goes and scratches it? I had my new car a week and some fecker managed to tear a gouge out of the front spoiler, under the bumper!!!

The most recent was when I left my car in one of the car parks in Blanchardstown hospital. I cam e out to find someone had left nice orange paint on the rear wheelarch along with a nice little dent (why do I think it's a suped up 95 civic?). No note on the windscreen mind. Not to worry though, I'm sure they'll get theirs before too long. I'm still keeping an eye out for what would be a distinctive orange car with a hint of silver on it somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Roy16

I can't believe this, i was on the way home from work today and had to stop off at the shopping centre to get dinner for tonight. I came out and there was a big dint in the rear passanger door. I knew it wasn't there when i left work so i wnet back in to ask security if they had camera's and they did. I got the licence plate number and i am going to report them to the police
    2moro with the details about them. They reversed straight into the car and they even got out and saw the damage and drove off.

I was reading this thread the other day and now this happens, just my luck:mad:

Hmmm I wonder if the Gardai can charge them with leaving the scene of an accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

i hate parking in multistory car parks, id always go up to the top floor or just get a remote area just to avoid the women in the people carriers :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Got a funny one for ya,

was in Superquinn one day, my mam and bro went in to get something and I waited in the car. The car beside me was parked very close, very near the white line. 5 mins later some old dear comes back and goes to the car beside me. She starts having a go at me for parking so close. I explained that I was parked perfectly, she was the one that parked too near the space my car was in. She was rightly pissed off. She tried to get into her car but the door wouldn't open and her alarm went off. She sheepishly asked me to help her. Being the nice guy I am I couldn't refuse! After about 5 mins of trying various different keys she had she realised she was at the wrong car!!! Her car was about 4 spaces further up, same make, model and colour. I nearly píssed myself laughing at her!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Stephen wrote:
    And NEVER EVER park beside a Yaris!! They are always driven by incompatent women drivers who WILL dent your car.

Advertisement