Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ever just drove away or are you to honest

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭le-dub

Got a funny one for ya,

was in Superquinn one day, my mam and bro went in to get something and I waited in the car. The car beside me was parked very close, very near the white line. 5 mins later some old dear comes back and goes to the car beside me. She starts having a go at me for parking so close. I explained that I was parked perfectly, she was the one that parked too near the space my car was in. She was rightly pissed off. She tried to get into her car but the door wouldn't open and her alarm went off. She sheepishly asked me to help her. Being the nice guy I am I couldn't refuse! After about 5 mins of trying various different keys she had she realised she was at the wrong car!!! Her car was about 4 spaces further up, same make, model and colour. I nearly píssed myself laughing at her!!!

HaHa, Thats f**king gas, i've seeing that a few times happen myself. I nver park on the first floor of a multistorie car-park as a rule, because its usually full of women who can't drive or park a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭pwwillia

a friend of mine always takes a quick snap on his mobile of the cars parked either side of his car whenever he's parked in a multistorey and such. i slag him thats its overkill a bit but he claims otherwise...............maybe he's onto something:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

pwwillia wrote:
    a friend of mine always takes a quick snap on his mobile of the cars parked either side of his car whenever he's parked in a multistorey and such. i slag him thats its overkill a bit but he claims otherwise...............maybe he's onto something:)
    I wish I'd done that when someone pushed the front wing of my car right in in a shopping centre car park. Or when someone did in in the car park in work a week later! :mad:

Have been left a note once by a woman who scraped my bumper pulling into a car parking space beside. As the damage wasn't too bad, I rang her and told her not to worry about it. At this stage I'm owed a little karma, I think, so hopefully my current car will remain undinged!

Those ar$eholes that open doors into you, ram you with shopping trollies, etc. should be beaten to death though! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

One time had my entire wing mirror scraped off, and big scratches along the side and door, when parked on the street, presumably by some lad who was driving by plastered as there were several other cars nearby in similar condition.

Another time someone left me a note that they had scratched my car, and to ring them. I couldn't even find the scratch, so I left them a message not to worry about it. A few months later, my wife (slightly) dinged someone else's car while parking in virtually the same spot. We left a note, but nobody ever called. Quite possibly was the same person who dinged us.

I turned down the wrong street around last Christmas, and had to swerve to avoid an SUV. The road I turned down was way narrower than the one I had meant to go down. Smacked my wing mirror off this other cars, and destroyed both. I left a note and paid about $200 to get the damage fixed. Not as bad as I was expecting. Found out later that the family's grandfather had died over Christmas, so I would have felt like a right pr*ck if the whole neigbourhood had been talking about this poor family who lost their grand-dad and then had their car destroyed by some hooligan.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

And NEVER EVER park beside a Yaris!! They are always driven by incompatent women drivers who WILL dent your car.

You've just reminded me - the doors (passenger and drivers) of a 3-door car are bigger than that of a 4-door, reason being that the 3-door has to allow for people bringing the seat forward to accomodate people scrambling into the back-seat.

So, in a multi-storey car-park park beside the 4/5-door saloon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Its not just the car drivers. I was parked one night on Botanic Avenue near Fagans about six months ago. Some twat took a kick at the side of my car leaving a big dint approx 6 x 12 inches. This was on the path side of the car so it was not another veh-hicle. This was obviously just for badness.
    Hanging's too good for 'em :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

ninja900 wrote:
    Hmmm I wonder if the Gardai can charge them with leaving the scene of an accident?

of course they won't... there would be a good reason for people not to do it if they did....

they are far too busy looking for people doing 51kph...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I know a guy who years ago driving his old banger, yunno the deal, saved for years for a car and paid nearly twice its cost for insurance............anyway he lost it on a slight bend whilst driving too fast in the wet and hit............

Wait for it !!

11 cars !

Yep thats right I said eleven !

They were parked along the street and fair play to him he went into every shop and restaurant until he found them all and put it through his insurance !

I always park miles away from anyone else all the time, my wife goes insane, but now she does it after someone dented the door of my CLK in January ! A quick call to Dentmaster and her purse was releived of €60 !

She also hit a Skoda mirror whilst passing a tight spot on the road with parked cars. The mirror was colour coded and cost €250 to fix. The I had the fear of buying the Merc one, with the indicator built in which was smashed !

Guess how much ??

€20 !! I was delighted !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Some prick broke the Aerial off the Back of my father’s car once in a multi Story car park in Cork once. Women Drivers are definitely the worst for this sort of crap, I reckon it is they don't have the guts to stand up and admit they did it or else they are afraid of the mouthing that most fellas would give them. An uncle of mine was in a car dealership in Tralee once (which won't be named) it sells Mercedes and Land Rovers.

Anyway he aprked his car next to a new Mercedes and went in looking around with a friend of his who he was chauffeuring as he was changing his car for a 4 X 4.

Anyways this fella some sort of boss came in accusing my uncle of denting the Merc, My uncle as innocent and protested likewise, he then brought in two other people as witnesses who also said my uncle hit the Mercedes and my uncle and his friend were giving out and shouting that they couldn't possibly have hit the car.

Then the fellas son comes in and says what all the shouting about and come out here I'm after hitting one of our cars. Turns out the father saw it happening and immediately went to pin it on my uncle. My uncle was going to take legal action but didn't bother and his friend gave his €30,000 for a new 4X4 to a different dealership.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭curiosity

Ah the moral dilemma eh! Well this idiot here clipped the offside rear bumper of a 04 merc last Sept. I was already late for a wedding at the time and had dived into a parking spot to nip into a shop. Honestly, my heart sank as I got out to look at the result of my haste. (My car was 12 years old at the time so i wasn't pushed tbh). I seriously considered doing a runner for a sec, had visions of some stroppy so and so insisting on a new bumper. After a minutes thought I went into the nearest shop, borrowed pen and paper and left my number on windscreen. A few hours later the owner rang me up, was very understanding, didn't go ballistic. He said he'd get an estimate and get back to me. Never heard from him again. Clear concscience at no cost.

Like most people, the big fear is that honesty will be abused. I think that having someone ding you is a double edged sword. If they fess up, you appreciate their decency and don't want to abuse it. If someone acts all 'f**k off, I didn't touch your car', you're more likely to want to get what you can legimately claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

curiosity wrote:
    I think that having someone ding you is a double edged sword. If they fess up, you appreciate their decency and don't want to abuse it

Common decency. I think it is still there in most people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I own a crash repair business and there's not a week goes by when I have the Guards on to me to do an estimate involving a hit and run incident. Nine times out of ten its a woman who does a runner. Most women I know can't maneuver a car and can't reverse to save their souls. All you have to do is go into a supermarket and see how the use their shopping trolleys, they do exactly the same with their cars. The worst of the lot are the ones with an SUV or a people carrier I've seen some serious damage done by them over the years. My best customers are women drivers, long live women drivers.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MrSinn

i suppose if you are STUPID enough to hit a parked car then you are probably ignorant enough to drive away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MrSinn

junkyard wrote:
    I own a crash repair business and there's not a week goes by when I have the Guards on to me to do an estimate involving a hit and run incident. Nine times out of ten its a woman who does a runner. Most women I know can't maneuver a car and can't reverse to save their souls. All you have to do is go into a supermarket and see how the use their shopping trolleys, they do exactly the same with their cars. The worst of the lot are the ones with an SUV or a people carrier I've seen some serious damage done by them over the years. My best customers are women drivers, long live women drivers.:D
    good man yourself!
    women think that mirrors are for putting make-up on
    G'wan the girls

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

pwwillia wrote:
    LOL, I've been known to do this too. Especially when parked anywhere near a people carrier or SUV.

Don't really think it does a lot of good though. Because your car is far more likly to get hit by someone going into a space than someone leaving a space. So what will happen is the car you take a pic of leaves and the next driver that tries to parks there hits your car, sees what they've done and takes off.

I agree with what everyoen is saying about women being the worst when it comes to parking damage. Have seen it happen so many times. A couple of times when i saw parked cars being damaged and the culprit leaving the scene I wrote down their number and left a note on the damaged car.

Tips to minimise te risk of your car gettiing hit.
    -As already stated, park far away from the shop
    -Park near walls and pillars as opposed to other cars
    -Stay well away from, vans, MPVs, SUVs, Hyundai Accents, anything with lots of dents.
    -never take up more than one space or stray over the white line of a parking bay. If you do the space beside will be made smaller so your car is more likely to get hit as someone tries to squeeze in. If other drivers have parked in such a way that any available spaces are composed of half of one bay and half of another try to find a space in a different part of the car park
    -Some car parks have a mixture of perpendicular and parallel spaces. Never ever park in such a way that the side of your car is facing the back of car which will be reversing out of its space. Becuase the side of your car is very vulnerable if reversed onto (even worse if reversing car is an SUV and/or has a towbar)
    -don't park anywhere where a crowd of drunk people may gather. Eg don't park outside a pub or niteclub at night as when closing time comes a big crowd of drunk eejits will spill out and will invariably brush off your car, lean up against it, sit on the bonnet, mess with the aerial etc.

Advertisement