Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland -V- Chile

• 23-05-2006 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭

Gary Breen has won a recall to the Republic of Ireland team, despite being released by relegated Sunderland.
    The defender, who last played for the Republic in the 1-0 win over Croatia in November 2004, is included in the team to face Chile in Dublin on Wednesday.

Reading striker Kevin Doyle will partner skipper Robbie Keane in attack in what will be Steve Staunton's second match as Irish manager.

Republic of Ireland: Given (Newcastle United), Kelly (Tottenham Hotspur), Breen (Unattached), Dunne (Manchester City), Kilbane (Everton), Finnan (Liverpool), O'Shea (Manchester United), Reid (Blackburn Rovers), Keane (Tottenham Hotspur), Duff (Chelsea), Doyle (Reading).

Gary Breen? surely he's only in as a favour to the lad seeing as he has no club and there is a possibility of scouts watching. i mean it doesnt boost confidence as a fan, having a player in the team, who was released by the worst club in premiership history and currently has no team looking for him.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

T&#225 wrote: »
    Gary Breen has won a recall to the Republic of Ireland team, despite being released by relegated Sunderland.
    The defender, who last played for the Republic in the 1-0 win over Croatia in November 2004, is included in the team to face Chile in Dublin on Wednesday.

Reading striker Kevin Doyle will partner skipper Robbie Keane in attack in what will be Steve Staunton's second match as Irish manager.

Republic of Ireland: Given (Newcastle United), Kelly (Tottenham Hotspur), Breen (Unattached), Dunne (Manchester City), Kilbane (Everton), Finnan (Liverpool), O'Shea (Manchester United), Reid (Blackburn Rovers), Keane (Tottenham Hotspur), Duff (Chelsea), Doyle (Reading).

Gary Breen? surely he's only in as a favour to the lad seeing as he has no club and there is a possibility of scouts watching. i mean it doesnt boost confidence as a fan, having a player in the team, who was released by the worst club in premiership history and currently has no team looking for him.

The future certainly isn't with Gary Breen, thats for damn sure. Can't understand what Staunton is trying to achieve by playing him.

Other than that its a decent enough 11. Should be interesting to see how they fare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Kelly from Spurs has no club either, his contract has run out and he is on a free.

String team but would rather O'Shea in centre back role and put A Reid into midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Gary Breen? surely he's only in as a favour to the lad seeing as he has no club and there is a possibility of scouts watching.

It has to be the only reason he's playing him! he's useless and always has been! there is no benefit in playing him as he wont be around come any qualifiers or anything! O'Brien is injured yes?!
    i mean it doesnt boost confidence as a fan, having a player in the team, who was released by the worst club in premiership history and currently has no team looking for him.

no it doesnt! surely he should be using these matches to find replacements for the older players cos Kilbane hasnt got much time left at this level since he not even getting regular games with everton anymore!

i would have thought McGeady deserved a go on the right wing instead of always playing Reid/Duff out of position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

2 threads on this? need merging?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

a second thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Yeah, can't see the benefit of playing Breen at all. Interesting enough line up though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

PIE.boards?

yes they should be merged. as far as i can see this is the first thread started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Yeah wasnt too impressed when I heard Breen was starting. I can understand the sentiment behind it. Staunton will want all his players at clubs next season and its a good chance for Breen to show off his immense talent.....

But I dont see why it should matter if Breen is around next year. We surely have better, young propects. Cant wait to see a bit more of Doyle up front. He is no doubt a great prospect for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

dont want to be repeating whats already said but Breen really isnt the future, and i thought these games were all about building for the future.

Also is Kilbane going to play left full? Or will John O'Shea be in there?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Ah now why is Breen in the first 11. Surely it would have been a better option to bring McCarthy or someone like that into the squad when O' Brien pulled out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Kingp35 wrote:
    Ah now why is Breen in the first 11. Surely it would have been a better option to bring McCarthy or someone like that into the squad when O' Brien pulled out.
    McCarthy is injured, McShane is injured.

PIE.boards?

yes they should be merged. as far as i can see this is the first thread started.

Newbies to boards is the problem, start 2-3 threads on the same subject:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

This is kinda what I feared when I heard an old ex-player was to be manager, they tend to be loyal to players they've played with, regardless of how crap they are.

Hope he is just doing him a once off favour and it won't be happening very often.

PiE wrote:
    This is kinda what I feared when I heard an old ex-player was to be manager, they tend to be loyal to players they've played with, regardless of how crap they are.

Hope he is just doing him a once off favour and it won't be happening very often.

People seem to forget this is an end of the season FRIENDLY game, it doesn't really matter what the result is just to get a chance to try a few things out. Was Breen anywhere near the first team in the last game? NO is the answer. Quit crying about it and see what the game is, a FRIENDLY.

I bet if Steve didnt try out a few things then we would have everyone on here crying that he has no imagination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

Joe Gamble is on the bench, and is expected to come on for his debut.

This would make him the first Cork City player to win an Ireland cap I think?

(John O'Flynn was in the squad once (?), but didn't play, and Kevin Doyle only played for Ireland after he joined Reading)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Big Nelly wrote:
    I bet if Steve didnt try out a few things then we would have everyone on here crying that he has no imagination.

I didn't mean to sound alarmist in that post, I realise it's only his second game and it is a friendly... but how is using players who've been played many times before to little effect (OK he had his moments...) regarded as trying things out? Much rather see youngsters be given a chance ahead of Kilbane and Breen. Seeing as it's a meaningless friendly and all...

PiE wrote:
    I didn't mean to sound alarmist in that post, I realise it's only his second game and it is a friendly... but how is using players who've been played many times before to little effect (OK he had his moments...) regarded as trying things out? Much rather see youngsters be given a chance ahead of Kilbane and Breen. Seeing as it's a meaningless friendly and all...

Who? its the end of season and if you hadnt noticed alot of the players that would be in the running are not available. Defence is not the problem its the middle of the park and up front so this is where he has to get it right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Big Nelly wrote:
    Kelly from Spurs has no club either, his contract has run out and he is on a free.

That's a little misleading. While it's true that he's leaving on a free, Spurs wanted him to stay and offered him a new contract but he turned it down as he wants first team football on a regular basis. As a Spurs fan I think he should be getting it at White Hart Lane, he's much better than Paul Stalteri.

Andrew 83 wrote:
    That's a little misleading. While it's true that he's leaving on a free, Spurs wanted him to stay and offered him a new contract but he turned it down as he wants first team football on a regular basis. As a Spurs fan I think he should be getting it at White Hart Lane, he's much better than Paul Stalteri.

He still has no club, whispers of West Ham making a move for him which would be good, they have no real right back at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Hopeing to catch the game tonight in Krakow.

What is Breen starting for? Stan being loyal and trying to get him a club methinks(he's currently unattached)

Anyone work out a formation yet?

4-3-3 ? 3-5-2 ? 4-4-2 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Lookin forward to seeing Mark Gonzales play tonight. He has been quite impressive playing for Real Sociedad, it will be good to see how he copes with Premiership players.

any others to watch on that team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

Liam Miller is now starting in place of Steve Finnan (knee injury)

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=568

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

plazzTT wrote:
    Joe Gamble is on the bench, and is expected to come on for his debut.

This would make him the first Cork City player to win an Ireland cap I think?

(John O'Flynn was in the squad once (?), but didn't play, and Kevin Doyle only played for Ireland after he joined Reading)

AFAIK dave barry played for ireland agaisnt manchester united, but didnt get a cap for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

DaBreno wrote:
    Lookin forward to seeing Mark Gonzales play tonight. He has been quite impressive playing for Real Sociedad, it will be good to see how he copes with Premiership players.
    YA, ME TOO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

zabbo wrote:

4-3-3 ? 3-5-2 ? 4-4-2 ?
    Anyone work out why Stan is acting the prat by refusing to tell the press (and therefore the fans) what formation he's playing??

Its a bleedin friendly against fookin Chile. Its not as if their manager would give a rat's ass.

Anyway he's had to let the cat out of the bag now by replacing Finnan with Miller. Hope Liam does better tonight than he did for Leeds on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Anyone work out why Stan is acting the prat by refusing to tell the press (and therefore the fans) what formation he's playing??

Its a bleedin friendly against fookin Chile. Its not as if their manager would give a rat's ass.

coz its a dry run and hes practicin for the real thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Right found somewhere to watch this, should be a good one, interested to see how Speedy Gonzalez performs and to see if Stans men can top the Swedish 3-0 game.

Cmon Ireland ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

zabbo wrote:

4-3-3 ? 3-5-2 ? 4-4-2 ?
    9-1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The1337_Stephen

Anyone got score predictions for us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

god, quinn would do your head in

back to the game,ok start for ireland,putting on a bit of pressure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

would Niall Quinn just stfu please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

he really is an awful commentator/pundit isn't he?
    impressed with doyle,
    should of just scored (37th minute)
    Speedy isn't tearing us apart but he does look a quality player,
    Reid is MoM so far.

gonzo very unlucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Ireland are playing ****e

• Advertisement

It's not the greatest match, Quinn doesn't help. Man he does my head in.
    Doyle is playing well, he's getting a lot of flick-ons for Keane. Can't help but think there could be a change, either in system or players, things aren't really clicking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

is there online commentry anywhere? like the beeb usually do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

any reports on how Gonzales is playing.

very well he should of scored just before half time

balls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

chile one up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

My, this is an inauspicious start to Stan the Man's international management career innit?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

guvna!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

let me guess reid gave away a free kick and they scored?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Well, no Joe Gamble, so thats my interest in the national team gone for another few months.

Fair play to Jason Byrne though, playing well in his few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

gimmick wrote:
    Well, no Joe Gamble, so thats my interest in the national team gone for another few months.

You mean we are not watching to see how Gonzalez is getting on? Though that was the point of watching it :confused:

kdjac

i want that 96 mins back jesus awful stuff

bizmark wrote:
    i want that 96 mins back jesus awful stuff
    Beat me to it! It was painful to sit through at times. Completely lethargic performance, Chile rang rings around us throughout. But, it's May, I guess not every player coming off the end of a season can have a spring in their step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

never mind the national team, whats the verdict on Gonzalez . How did he play?

clown bag wrote:
    never mind the national team, whats the verdict on Gonzalez . How did he play?
    He pulled some nice tricks out of the bag, looks like someone who would give full backs a good run for their money. He gave Kelly a rough time anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement