Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stud Walls

Options
  • 23-05-2006 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

About to start fitting stud walls upstairs in my house..
    Couple of questions...

- Is 4 x 2 the norm ?
    - Does it matter if its planed or rough?
    - Do I fit the stud walls prior to laying whatever flooring I am fitting?

Any other tips/suggestions/links appreciated :-)

Thx
    jayo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

4*2 rough is fine for the job - make sure you order it in lengths that mean you don't have a large amount of useless sized off-cuts (eg 8 ft or 16 ft if your ceilings are 8 ft).

I would do the studding first and floors later. - what type of insulation are you using - if any ? if i had a choice I would have gotten all the stud walls upstairs in our house insulated to stop noise transfer between rooms.

Don't forget standard size of plasterboard is 2400 * 1200 - keep your studs at these spacings to minimize cuts.

Also mount brace pieces for where ever your switches/plugs/radiators will be fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

yeah I am planning on using insulation.. A mate suggest accoustic fibre glass wool for maximum noise prevention.

Cheers for the plasterboard tip ;-)

Advertisement