Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team to Play Chile

• 23-05-2006 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

I dont agree with breen or kilbane, i think there both past it and really never good enough for the internationl stage never mind premership level. I hope to see a few young players coming throuh to be tested. I'd like to see o'shea in the back of defence.

Republic of Ireland Team
    Shay Given (Newcastle United)
    Stephen Kelly (Tottenham Hotspur)
    Gary Breen (Unatttached)
    Richard Dunne (Manchester City)
    Kevin Kilbane (Everton)
    Steve Finnan (Liverpool)
    John O’Shea (Manchester United)
    Steven Reid (Blackburn Rovers)
    Robbie Keane (Tottenham Hotspur)
    Damien Duff (Chelsea)
    Kevin Doyle (Reading)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Where are you expecting them to play? Finnan or Kelly at left back? and Duff on the left with Kilbane right sided? or reid playing right and kilbane in centre with o'shea? or O'shea left back, kelly right back and then finnan right mid?

I think that may be the problem with this Ireland team, too many players playin in unnatural positions (e.g. O'shea in midfield, kilbane maybe right or centre etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Dont agree with Breen at all.. he's way past it! Kilbane i can accept cos he has put in some good preformances for Ireland but is also on his way out!

good to see Kevin Doyle starting tho!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Republic of Ireland Team

Shay Given

Stephen Kelly---Gary Breen---Richard Dunne---Kevin Kilbane

Steve Finnan---John O’Shea---Steven Reid----Damien Duff

Robbie Keane---Kevin Doyle

- Or -

Shay Given

Steve Finnan---Gary Breen---Richard Dunne---Stephen Kelly

Kevin Kilbane---John O’Shea---Steven Reid----Damien Duff

First one is more likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I think it will be the second line up u showed, or the first one with o'shea swapped with kilbane! kilbane cant defend, but then again some may see o'shea cant either...2nd team for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Duff to play RW probably....

Given
    Kelly---Dunne
    Breen
    Finnan
    Duff
    Reid
    O'Shea
    Kilbane
    Keane
    Doyle

• Advertisement

2nd team for me too i think! cant see Kilbane playing left back unless stan is experimenting...

it is also possible tho that o'shea and kilbane will switch...

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

BaZmO* wrote:
    Republic of Ireland Team

Shay Given

Steve Finnan---John O’Shea---Steven Reid----Damien Duff

- Or -

Shay Given

Kevin Kilbane---John O’Shea---Steven Reid----Damien Duff

First one is more likely.

We played 433/451 against Sweden so it looks like he's gooing that way again.

Shay Given

Stephen Reid---John O'Shea---Kevin Kilbane

Kevin Doyle----Robbie Keane---Damien Duff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Switch Finnan with Kelly in Colster's team and you have what is the most probable starting line-up .
    Although it's possible Duff will play left side and have the 3 midfielders that are there push accross if Staunton go's 4-4-2 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Shay Given

Gary Breen---Richard Dunne---John O'Shea
    Stephen Kelly
    Steve Finnan
    Kevin Kilbane
    Stephen Reid
    Robbie Keane
    Damien Duff
    Kevin Doyle

Craziest formation I could come up with but no matter what formation we play there will be at least 3 players out of position...

colster wrote:
    We played 433/451 against Sweden so it looks like he's gooing that way again.

Shay Given

Stephen Reid---John O'Shea---Kevin Kilbane

Kevin Doyle----Robbie Keane---Damien Duff

this could well be it actually! quite like the idea of this... except breen and kilbane need to be replaced by O'Brien and Andy Reid(??)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

We all dream of a team of Gary Breen's...

God, I thought his days in an Ireland shirt were over, back to depression.
    How can you play a player that's been released from the worst club in the premiership because of his preformances!!!

So many better options, hell any of the kids like McShane(although injured) woulda been better, don't know what he's atm tbh. What about Andy O'Brien? Even he is better than Breen. Or push O'Shea back and put in Miller who's been doing well enough for Leeds. But Breen, god help us.
    That said,

Number 1, was Gary Breen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Andy O'Brien is injured.

I think Kilbane is a decent defender, and covered up a helluva lot for Ian Harte over the years. The only place I'd consider him for is left back, but I doubt very much he'll start there. I'd say its Finnan at right back, Kelly on the left.

Agree with all the comments about Gary Breen. Incomprehensible. Should be trying O'Shea there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just said on the news that Finnan is out.

**or at least I think I heard them say he was injured

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

Surely Breens only gonna start as a favour to help him find a new club, theres no way he can be in stans team for competitive games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

what are the chile team like? has their team been announced? any household names in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Who else can play at centre half instead of Breen? O'Brien is injured and McCarthy and McShane couldn't be considered for a callup because of injury. Only O'Shea can play there but tbh I'd prefer Breen than O'Shea in the centre of defence. If O'Shea was to play there it'd just be stop-gap and wasting a match of experimenting with him in the centre of midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

The_B_Man wrote:
    what are the chile team like? has their team been announced? any household names in it?
    Mark Gonzalez, on his way to Liverpool, is in the squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

How about this guy Terry Dixon?! Hope hes good...what position does he play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He played there for the second half of United's season, I think you know what you're going to get from O'Shea in midfield.

He'll do a job, he'll get forward, but he's quite clearly a CB who has adjusted as well as he can to the position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

How about this guy Terry Dixon?! Hope hes good...what position does he play?

He's a forward but is yet to play a game for Spurs reserves. Only just signing with the club full time this month. Apparently he's played well at underage level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Steve Finnan is out and Liam Miller is in. Seems strange if he is going to play Zinedine Kilbane at left back, but who else is he going to play there out of that 11. Is Ian Harte not in the training camp???

Shay Given

Liam Miller---John O’Shea---Steven Reid----Damien Duff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Harte flew out late as he had to play for Levante last weekend. I see some sense in trying Kilbane there. Harte and O'Shea are both very error prone. Kelly also doesn't look too comfortable playing on that side and has complained at Spurs for being played there. That leaves the option of Finnan with Carr or Joey O'Brien on the right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

MBC wrote:
    Steve Finnan is out and Liam Miller is in. Seems strange if he is going to play Zinedine Kilbane at left back, but who else is he going to play there out of that 11. Is Ian Harte not in the training camp???

Kilbane came on at left back in Steve's first game

Advertisement