Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's gonna win the NBA championship

Options
  • 23-05-2006 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Who's gonna win the NBA championship?

Heat
    Pistons
    Mavericks
    Suns

My bet: Suns!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

phil wrote:
    Who's gonna win the NBA championship?

Heat
    Pistons
    Mavericks
    Suns

My bet: Suns!

First of all you're a cnut, I didn't know who won last night. :mad:

Secondly Mavs for the win.

TBH, I'm happy that there has been long series throughout the first 2 rounds but I ask you this, is it because there is too much quality or a lack of it??

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

Woops, sorry!

You shoulda known by the title of the post that I was gonna name the teams! :)

I think the winner will come out of the East, but I hope it's from the West, I'd like to see the West champs take the title. Fingers crossed it's the Suns, but definitely not the favourites to take either I would imagine.

I definitely think it's on the side of too much quality. The Mavericks have grown into a championship winning team and the Heat is packed full of all-stars. Overall, I believe the league is packed full of talented teams and you only need to look at the Mavericks beating last years Spurs team (still quality) to show that.

Plus, you got the 03 rookies (amazing draft) coming of age and leading their teams: Wade, Lebron, Melo ... even Chris Bosh to a certain extent with the Raprots as well as teams now making themselves championship contenders (Mavericks and I believe the Suns if they could have gotten Stoudamire back properly)

Yeah the suns may have to wait another year with no amare. If wade can stay healthy then they'll probably take the east. I'd like to see Shaq get another ring so he can give the eejit overin LA the one finger salute but I want Dirk to get it just to show the NBA how much euroball has come along.

I can't remember which game or channel, either cbs/tnt had chris bosh out interviewing players after the games, man the poor guy was so out of his depth, no future in broadcasting whatsoever!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I've seen a couple of the Heat games over the past few weeks and Dwayne Wade is amazingly good. And the Heat have such a deep team. Payton, Shaq and Mourning are all veterans but they can all still put up big numbers. Antoine Walker is very good if he gets in a rhythm.
    Wade is Michael Jordan-quick and his outside shooting has improved alot this season.

Just watched highlights of Mavs vs. Spurs from last night, dirk saved their asses big time, what a play!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

san antonio are out, i hate pistons and mavs so i would suns will win, even without amare stoudemire

I think the heat will do it this year.
    Winning game 1 in Detroit was huge

Yeah I think Miami will probably take it too. I'd love them too actually, so that shaq can stick his 2 fingers up at L.A. for trading him and keeping Kobe, what a bunch of retards they are :rolleyes: I'd like payton to get a championship ring too.

Nash & dirk have a few more years left and TBH, if amare is healthy and the so are the rest of the suns, they'll take it next year no problem.

Finals will be Miami vs. Dallas.

So if I were you I'd go out and put money on the suns and pistons as I've been pretty much wrong for the whole playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

miami and mavericks in finals and i think miami will probably win it. I think the rest they got will help them beat the pistons

DrMorphine wrote:
    I think the rest they got will help them beat the pistons

Yeah defo a major factor in the series.

Well 3-1 to Miami, anybody see detroit coming back again??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 maherprobasket

My feeling is and bear in mind I,m not courtside yet and so not in a position to access all of the relevant information to make a more informed judgement
    and it is that Phoenix can still do it.Gilmartin at Suns.com has the best inside track information I,ve read and he too does,nt shoot em shoot em down though it,s an away game up next and trailing 2/1.Couple this too to all of the
    information being available to coach to make the critical decisions and the fact that the position now is one of nothing to lose and a Championship Title to be played for and Won.Let us not forget that Phoenix have Pat Burke on the bench and perhaps a few minutes here or there for Ireland,s own can be
    just what it takes to turn the tide and have The Mavericks in a pickle come
    final whistle.Gilmartin say,s Nash,s been all figured out by Dallas I say coach get Nash to allow his players individually to figure out their direct Dallas opponents and give Nash more and better scoring opportunities all about the floor.Can he do it !!! ,of course he can,because no one or two players can guard him effectively and still be focused enough to get into positive transition.Like Gilmartin says Phoenix have the shooters...it,s a question of getting more of them more open more often in a situation where they are more relaxed and more centred with the time to visualize in a multi sensory way the made shot.

Maherprobasket, man I find it very hard to read what you write in your posts, any chance of putting in more paragraphs rather then one big continous post.

While I am delighted that Pat Burke is on a team that is still in the playoffs (and it would be great if he got a championship ring), he will however not impact on whether or not the Suns win or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

As I've said previously about Pat Burke, he has been benched in practically every game and rarely made an appearance (if at all) when the game was tight down the stretch. The amount of DNP's (did not play) he's racked up this season isn't even funny! The fact that D'Antoni goes with a substantially smaller lineup practically all the time instead of introducing Burke just shows the way he feels about him. Burkes got another year left on his deal, but I'd be surprised if he wasn't traded at the end of this season.

Phil.

From what I can see, he's been brought in to the Suns so that they can practice against bigger players, it's the only use I see for him at the club.

Not sure about a trade as he'd probably get released or sit out another season, either way he'll get paid.

Unless the suns go on an extended 3pt shooting blitz I can't see them beating dallas. Dallas seems to have learned how to shut down the Suns fast break, at least much more than in Game 1. When the Suns run the pick and roll and Nowitzki picks up Nash, Nash doesn't seem to be able to burn past him to the basket.
    Marion had a very quiet game in G3 too.

lafortezza wrote:
    Unless the suns go on an extended 3pt shooting blitz I can't see them beating dallas. Dallas seems to have learned how to shut down the Suns fast break, at least much more than in Game 1. When the Suns run the pick and roll and Nowitzki picks up Nash, Nash doesn't seem to be able to burn past him to the basket.
    Marion had a very quiet game in G3 too.

I haven't watch ea full game since game 6 of the pistons vs. cavs, but I'd imagine the suns will come out fighting tonight as I can't see them coming back from another 3-1 series, and if they did, they're more than deserving of winning the championship.

When is Bell back for the Suns?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 maherprobasket

More paragraph,s sure...Burke,s impact : yes it,s been all D.N.P.,s for Pat in the playoffs.This said one of his most valuable resources and he,s illustrated it
    wearing Ireland,s green is staying focused on the bench knowing how any particular game is panning out and coming in and being an intergral part of any offence/defence combined without losing a beat.Some players and Jordan,s the best example study your habits and visualize what to do just to beat you.

David O Leary coming in and making that famous penalty shot for Ireland is a great example of what it can take to be a winner when it looks at least that you,r out of favor with coach/managment.Of course this is not the case with D,antoni and Pat Burke who has actually been a great contributer in terms of statistical performance relative to minutes played throughout the regular season,particularly with rebounds where perhaps Enda Byrt,s tips on positioning for rebounds have helped.

For Laforteeza....mabey Tex Winter,s Triangle offence coming out of a "North
    Carolina" style secondary break can help and force Dallas out of it,s comfort zone.One thing,s for sure the answer to Phoenix,s Nash,s inability to take it to
    the hole on Nowitski is on tape and available....he,s (Nash,s) just too good and smart to go to the hole without being 100% certain of a basket so the answer lies between the "switching" on the defensive end and creating offence to trigger it early/or not as the option may at any one time be.Coaching at this level contains a certain amount gambling intuitively as opponents will react bigger faster stronger and a a game can be over and gone before a chance to rectify the damage presents itself.The key have guys with a system that makes them automats but also with the freedom to make at least a couple of mistakes.I,m still with Phoenix on this one.

What will happen with the contract off season....yeah I,ve heard Pat may be on the way out of Phoenix too.Again this said being a part of a Championship Winning team can really change how people percieve you and beliefs are influnced by perception.If he does go what,s the betting at Cashmans guys on The Celtics coming in for it,s second Irishman to compliment Marty Conlon,s time with the C,s.

hi maherprobasket,

I read through your post and you've some interesting comments.
    The only thing is that it's a little hard to read. Can you read over it before you click 'post' and make sure it's ok?

Thanks

me buggers off to watch the end of Det-Mia G4

I haven't watch ea full game since game 6 of the pistons vs. cavs, but I'd imagine the suns will come out fighting tonight as I can't see them coming back from another 3-1 series, and if they did, they're more than deserving of winning the championship.

When is Bell back for the Suns?
    Not sure when he's back from injury, I don't want to check NBA.com in case they spoil the result of a game I've yet to see!

suns mav results for G4:
    Well Suns & mavs tied at 2 now, Pat even got 3 minutes of play (I'd imagine towards the end) but failed to make any of his 2 field goal attempts. I think Raja Bell made an impact coming back from injury.

Could Miami be the first team through to the finals tonight? I'm sure detroit will come out fighting but I'm not sure if they'll have it in them to take the overall series.

• Advertisement

I should have put up a sticky for the playoff results!

lafortezza wrote:
    I should have put up a sticky for the playoff results!

Sorry dude, but I didn't know how to use that spoiler thing, it frees up a couple of hours for you later though:D

Well it's the mavs vs. heat in the finals, any predictions on the the matchups/outcome etc.

Advertisement