Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Netsoc Smash Bros Melee tournament?

Options
  • 23-05-2006 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭

There was a thread on Smashboards.com mentioning a Smash Bros Melee tournament up in UCD this Friday (to decide the "Official Champion of Ireland" no less), and since I'm not from Dublin I've been trying to get some details to make sure this is actually a legitimate thing worth the bother of travelling on a train for a few hours.

But I've only been able to get in contact with the thread starter, who doesn't seem to know anything beyond the fact that he's definately going to win.

The netsoc website has no details anything of the sort, and all the netsoc e-mail addresses return mailer daemons.

Does anyone here know if such a thing is actually taking place, or is the thread starter screwing with people.

I just want to play some Smash.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Hi I'm helping to organise and run this. I don't know why he thinks it's to do with netsoc. I'm involved in netsoc and this isn't a netsoc thing. It's being run for charity. I (and others) are going over to Africa in June to bring computers to schools in Ethiopia, and we need sponsorship money.

The tournament is on from 12noon until about 6pm on Friday 26th of June. We're holding a SSBM contest. I don't think there's going to be any prizes. Our main event is a Halo tournament, so any prizes are going there. It's going to be on in the student centre in UCD. On this http://www.ucd.ie/images/subpage/maps/campusmap05.jpg map, the contest is on in building number 17. This page has information on how to get to UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Ah right, cool.

I'm not worried about prizes, I'd just be in it for the fun of playing. If this is a charity thing, does that mean there'll be some sort of charge for the Smash tournament, or is that just limited to the Halo one?

My only other question is what sort of attendence you're expecting for the Smash thing, and also what rules will be played under?

Thanks for the map.

I'd say the reason that guy thinks this is a netsoc thing is somewhat related to the fact he thinks this thing will decide the "official smash champion of Ireland", and also that he is "definately going to win because he is the best player in Dublin". Basically, he's a goddamn idiot.

Yeah there will be a charge, something small like €5 though, I'm sure you can spare it, and it's for charity. :) You're right about it being mainly for the fun. I don't know where all this 'offical' stuff is coming from. We're going to be pretty lax about the format, it really depends on how many numbers we get. If we get a lot of people, then we'll have a very structured play off dealie (using smash's tournament system). We want as large a crowd as we can get. We're expecting to be made largely of UCD students.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

/me warms up GC controllers :)

€5 is no big deal, I'll spend far more than that on the train.

Provided there aren't any unexpected rail strikes that is.....

I had thought it fairly unusual that the "1st official Irish smash tournament" be held by the UCD netsoc on a Friday. Too many parts of that made no sense. The topic poster on Smashboards is clearly insane.

Anyway, I'll try and make my way up with one, maybe two friends.

If you're ever doing anything like this again, and can schedule it for a Saturday, I'd be able to drag along considerably more people. Work/Fas etc is cutting into your demograph.

• Advertisement

Our main aim is for UCD students, there are a posters around UCD for this. Nearly all UCD students will be finished by Friday (I finish the day before).

/me warms up GC controllers :)

Without trying to sound too much like an exceptionally picky nerd, you guys do have official controllers don't you?

I try not to have anything to do with that "Third Party" crack. If I'm going to get completely decimated after travelling the length of the country to play Smash, I want it to be because I suck, and not because the "Super Awesome Turbo" function got stuck or something.

Regardless I can bring a controller for myself just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I've never played Smash Bros, and thought Halo was crap, but hell, i'll go anyway, should be fun:)

Without trying to sound too much like an exceptionally picky nerd, you guys do have official controllers don't you?

I try not to have anything to do with that "Third Party" crack. If I'm going to get completely decimated after travelling the length of the country to play Smash, I want it to be because I suck, and not because the "Super Awesome Turbo" function got stuck or something.

Regardless I can bring a controller for myself just in case.
    Oh god yes. I have 4 official Nintendo ones here that'll probably all be coming for the tournament (go working for GAME and getting them for cheap/free). I wouldn't make my worst enemies use a 3rd party GameCube controller, they're *that* bad.
    And Blowfish: We'll have to pop your Smash cherry :p
    It's only one of the greatest multiplayer games ever.

And Blowfish: We'll have to pop your Smash cherry :p
    It's only one of the greatest multiplayer games ever.

I second this, I wouldn't be willing to travel the length of the country (from the look of it, by myself, because all my friends have plans) unless Smash was freaking awesome.

Its initial learning curve is kinda of steep if you've never played SSB or SSBM before, but once you understand the mechanics of the game for one character, you're equally as proficient with all characters.

This is the one fighting game where a new player will never ever beat a reasonably competent player by button mashing. Button mashing doesn't work here.

Also, I too have four official controllers, one HORI (snes) pad (big chunky D-Pad for other fighting games) and 4 GCN/GBA link cables for Crystal Chronicles. And I don't even work for GAME :P

Third party pads should only be inflicted on the very worst criminal offenders....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

Is this the same game that was on the stand back in September?

If so I think I won a few games desptie having never played a gamecube before.

I may turn up, if I haven't got a job by then, and the odds of me getting one in the next few days are slim verging on nil.

Oh, it's May, not June.

Is this the same game that was on the stand back in September?

If so I think I won a few games desptie having never played a gamecube before.

I may turn up, if I haven't got a job by then, and the odds of me getting one in the next few days are slim verging on nil.

Oh, it's May, not June.

Yeah, GameSoc had a gamecube with SSBM for a day in freshers week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

How did it go anyways? Was there many people there? Sorry I missed it, I kindof slept in until half 1:o.

You should still have come down!
    It went pretty well, numbers weren't huge, but fun was had by all :)

Yeah it was good craic, we only barely just made it back to catch the train home To Tralee on time.

Had we been a minute and a half later we would have missed it.

I'll play you guys again if I ever find myself in Dublin, or if any of you are in Tralee for any reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

Sorry I couldn't make it. I forgot I had to mind a puppy for the day. Good to hear it went well.

I'll have to improve a lot, and learn a few more characters, before I even think about playing you guys again!

Advertisement