Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGENT (Drowning Kittens)

Options
  • 23-05-2006 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Is it illegal to drown a litter of kittens? I have been told about a man planning to drown some kittens in Donegal, is this illegal and is there anything I can do to stop it.

He gave his daughter a week or two to find homes for them but she is unable, she says she has tried to find a rescue in Donegal to take them (I don't really believe her, I think she just couldn't be bothered, she won't even bring them to Dublin to me so I can find homes for them, she excuse is she feels there are already enough kittens in Dublin looking for homes, pathetic) Anyway, is there any way at all I can stop this happening??

Please help me.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Mmmmm me thinks that wrong. very worng!! Ring the Dspca and they will tell you what can be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Of course it's illegal.
    Tell her you'll contact the ISPCA and the Gardai if he does it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

It just happens so often in the countryside that I didn't know if they'd pay any attention to me. I dont even know thir exact address, I know the name and rough area, thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Drowning kittens and pups in countryside is commonplace, ISPCA and Gardai won't give two hoots.

Thats unfortunately what I thought, I'm gonna give the ISPCA a call tonight anyway, just to see what they have to say on the matter.

What gets me is that if they didn't want them, and it still sickens me, but they should have drowned them at birth, these kittens are about 7 weeks old, just ready to be rehomed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Shelli wrote:
    Thats unfortunately what I thought, I'm gonna give the ISPCA a call tonight anyway, just to see what they have to say on the matter.

What gets me is that if they didn't want them, and it still sickens me, but they should have drowned them at birth, these kittens are about 7 weeks old, just ready to be rehomed.

Agreed, that's made a bad situation a lot worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

Thats not right. I can understand if they were drowned at birth. But to let them linger. Still, Why dont you ttake a couple of them off their hands, even on a temporary basis and get them somewhere to live yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 addie

Shelli,
    There is an ISPCA in Donegal, here are the contact details:

Wardens: Jackie Murphy Sammy Parkes
    Pound Address I.S.P.C.A. Kennels, Glencar Scotch, Letterkenny, County Donegal
    Tel: 074 25159

If you don't have the exact address for the kittens they might not be able to intervene, but you never know. They will be able to advise you and you can pass on their advice to the people involved- maybe telling the people that you have alerted the ISPCA to their intentions will be enough to scare them into doing the right thing. There are probably lots of people in Donegal who'd love a 7-week old kitten! The family should post a picture of the kittens on http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/ and they're bound to get responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I've got a bag and a brick!

...anyone???

exit stage left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It is hard for anyone to enforce animal cruelty laws. Please call the ISPCA if you think you have enough info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Zulu wrote:
    I've got a bag and a brick!
    ...anyone???

exit stage left

Is the bag big enough to fit you into it though?

I'm defiantely going to ring the ISPCA, I reallt hope thay can do something. I've already offered to take all the kittens myself and rehome them, this is her exact response:

Her: my parents said it'd be wrong to bring animals to dublin when there are so many there already in need of a home. a shelter would just put them down after a while and it'd be pretty disheartening to take them all that way and have hope, only for them to be murdered anyway

Me: None of the shelters I deal with put down any animals.

She hasn't replied since.

It's not that she won't bring them to Dublin, she lives in Dublin and is home visiting at the moment, shse could easily bring them back with her, she also asked if anyone in Dublin wanted to take one as a pet on another forum and offered to bring it to Dublin for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Shelli tell her you have a good country home for the kittens & that they will be collected from you - see if she will bring them down then. Once you have then I am sure we can find help from kittenaid or one of the other rescues.

Hugs

Faye

The gardi should prosecute (sp) anyone who hurts an animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

id definitely take one if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

I can take one or 2 have a 3 week old one at the moment and am getting in 4 in 2 weeks but more then welcome if I can help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Also try and convince them to have the mother cat spayed straight away before this happens again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Jesus I saw this stuff going on down the country when I was a kid (not sure if Robbie Williams was born yet!)

I just can't believe this sort of crap is still going on!

I couldn't get through to the ISPCA yesterday evening, I'll try again today. I'll also try again to convince her to give me the kittens. If anyone is interested in taking one PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 hill

Is it even illegal to drown kittens?

The law clasifies them as vermin (the same as rats and mice) so I'm not sure.

(no I'm not advocaing drowning them, just interested in the 'point of law')

• Advertisement

well the law classes them as vermin but they should be covered under the Cruelty Clause..............which if this is the case the Police should be called. As the police have the power to deal with all cases where cruelty to animals occurs.....most police will not know the laws relating to animals but all the same they do have the power

OK, now she is going to give them to me, but she now says they are only about 3 weeks old, there is three of them and they are arriving in Dublin tomorrow!!

HELP!! I have no problem taking care of them, will they need to be syringe fed at that age?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Can't you ask her for the mother too? 3 week old kittens will not be able to feed themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes they will with kitten milk and you will need to keep them warm.
    I suggest getting on to a local vet or the ispca about the best way to care for them.

the answer to that is you will only know when they arrive if they are lapping. I would get to the pet shop and buy Lactol or RC Kitten Milk to give to them. You will need to make the lactol up but you can make up in Pints and it keeps in the fridge once made up for 24 hours but they will go through it. I would then try and get them on to more solid food as soon as you can.

If you get the kittens and you put a saucer of the lactol down they will no doubt walk in it, sit in it etc. but they will eventually get the message that they are suppose to lick it, you may have to top it up with a syringe. I have a 3/4 week old one at the moment and she is on Lactol and RC kitten food soaked to make it softier. Also get them treated for fleas and worms. I would suggest getting parazol as that is a liquid wormer and it can be used on kittens it goes by weight and with 3 it will be value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Shelli wrote:
    Is it illegal to drown a litter of kittens? I have been told about a man planning to drown some kittens in Donegal, is this illegal and is there anything I can do to stop it.

Why are you getting involved?
    Putting aside the scrambling humanitarian hand-wringing for a second, what is the farmer doing that's wrong? Perhaps he could have had the cat neutered earlier, but drowning unwanted kittens is more humanitarian (imho) than 'rescuing' them when they'll probably end up being dumped them on the ISPCA.

Becuase they are healthy kittens, no reason for them to be drowned, and the girl had originally posted looking for people to take the kittens. It's not something I just heard on the grapevine and have decided to be the 'saviour'. And he's not a farmer, he's just an irresponsible pet owner.

And I have already said I will look aftet them until I get homes for them, so nobody's dumping them anywhere.

I disagree with you and I'm not going to explain myself to you, if that's the way you feel about drowning kittens then that's fine, your perfctly entitled to, but I didn't ask for your opinion.

Where in Dublin are you, I live on the Northside but have a car so can travel if you need a hand or are worried you can always ring me.....PM me and I will give you my contact number.

Syxpak - there is no reason to think that these kittens will be dumped on the ISPCA, who in fact I doubt would want them anyway or in fact would even take them. There is also nothing to say that good homes cannot be found for these kittens with responsible owners who will get their animal neutered. It is not the kittens fault that they were born to an irresponsible owner who would not get their cat neutered but rather let it go through pregnancy after pregnacy and then justify allowing them to live for a few weeks, play on the emotion heart strings of people and then when all else fails threaten to drown them.

Shelli as already started I am more then willing to give you any help I can and that will also include finding them homes if needs be. The kitten I have already has a home, but she will be getting her vaccinations etc. before she leaves here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

What a horrible man!
    It's totally illegal and the ISPCA should do something, they can at least go and collect the kittens.

However, iirc the ISPCA have a policy of euthanising animals that they can't home after a certain period of time, maybe you should contact the Cats Protection League and see if they can take the kittens?

I'd take one if only I wasn't sharing a house with cat haters :(

Why don't people get their bloody pets spayed? It costs feck all! I think the Blue Cross even do it for free.

• Advertisement

I have one home lined up already, I live in glasnevin and may very well need some help, I am out of the country from friday until tuesday and will have to convince my boyfriend to look after them until I get back.

I really was not expecting her to have them in Dublin tomorrow!

Advertisement