Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are website standard font sizes?

Options
  • 23-05-2006 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

I was wondering for headings if size 12 bold and then plain size 10 for normal text is the way to go or size 14 and 12? What looks best on a page in your opinion and whats the general standard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

10px is very small. I'd go for at least 12px for normal text.

Although, as with all things web-design, it depends very much on the nature of the site. 10px is too small no matter what (imo) but you could maybe push it a bit in the other direction.. make important content (not just headings) stand out with a size 14px or 15px font.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Depends on the font. Verdana looks nice in 10pt and not so nice in 12pt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I've gone off verdana in a major way, I use Arial at 11pt nearly all the time now. I personally think 12 looks rotten in any font and 10 too small.

11 is the way to go baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I try and use percentages these days instead of points/pixels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

It is against the Accessibility Guideline 3.4 to use absolute sizes when controlling fonts. The proper way of dealing with fonts is to create a body class something like this:
    body {
       font: normal 62.5% Verdana, ...;
       color: #333;
       margin: 0;
    }

Why set the font size to 62.5%? This standardises the size of fonts across most browsers when using relative units like em. 1em = 10px, 1.1em = 11px etc. when using this. Also, when using units like px, they can't be resized in Internet Explorer 6 or earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Serbian wrote:
    It is against the Accessibility Guideline 3.4

c'mon give the people a link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Ph3n0m wrote:
    c'mon give the people a link
    Apologies, I was referring to my hard-copy. I have edited the post to contain the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Funky Munky

TheGooner wrote:
    I've gone off verdana in a major way, I use Arial at 11pt nearly all the time now. I personally think 12 looks rotten in any font and 10 too small.

11 is the way to go baby!

I'll give that a go, seems to make sense as 12 Arial looks a bit strange on the eye for some reason.

Advertisement