Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best area to live in Mullingar?

Options
  • 23-05-2006 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭

Dunno if this is for this forum or accomodation/property? Fell free to move it.

Thinking of moving to Mullingar from Dublin and was wondering where are the 'good' areas to live?

I heard that Dalton park and the Grange Estate are to be avoided.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

Well if you are looking for a housing esate i would recommend Brookfield.All large privately buily houses.5 mins walk from town.2mins drive from the motorway.Large green area.Across the road from the hospital.Schools within walking distance.V.Nice neighbourhood.

If you are looking for a house by itself it really would depend on what sort of money you have to spend.On the Lynn road there are a number of very expensive houses out that direction (to get there you take a turn left from the tullamore road).

If you are looking for a more affordable house there are numerous housing estates poping up all over town.Every time i come home to Mullingar there seems to be a few new housing estates poping up somewhere.Most of these place are in nice respectable areas.

You are right about grange and dalton park.Abbeylands is another place that you would want to avoid.It seems half the population of poland is living there.not very nice.

If you feel like really splashing the cash my gaff might be up for sale :):p 7bedroom(5 ensuite),25 rooms in total in the house.Large gardens at both front and back.Very nice area within walking distance of town....... I shall start the bidding at 2.5million.....do i hear 3???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

If my monopoly money turned real maby.... lol
    I've about €220,000 to spend and i'd like to be near train station if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

well there is a new development after finishing relatively recently right beside the train station.New 7 story appartments about 2mins walk from the train station. havent been inside any of the appartments but from what i have heard they are very nice.They may be closer to your price bracket if its any help.

p.s. They are located on patrick street (heading towards the athlone direction). If you know where the train station is you cant miss them...just look up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭CGorman

Ive been inside those apartments - very nice, inclusive of all equipment (diswasher, oven etc). They are as close to the train station as you can get.

I live in the clonemore area, it's under a half mile from train station and town center. It's a fairly decent area - not as good as Pettiswood, Brookfield or Ardmore (they are mostly €500,000+ now!) - but not a bad area either... middleclass/middleoftheroad sort of place. Heres a typical house in the area, it's up for €230,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

While i do not live in Mullingar itself.. i love the Belvedere Hills area past the racecource! Some massive houses there. Also a private hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭CGorman

Yeah that area is top class aswell, expensive enough, but very nice (Lynn Road aswell)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

Actually I have friends living in Grange, it's not as bad as people say in some parts. It's well worth having a look, she got a much better deal than we did and the area isn't bad at all.

I wouldn't live in Dalton Park or Ennel Court.

If you're commuting then Ardleigh or Ardilaun are both on the new link road. Houses are still reasonable there too.

Thanks, yeah i'll be commuting as sick of Dublin,

• Registered Users Posts: 21 thegreek15

There is a lot of nice well priced properties in Mullingar, just check out daft. I recently bought a house in Dalton Park, its not as bad as people might say. I dont live in the house, in the process of "Letting" it out. But for the price €125,000 purely as an investment goes, you couldnt go wrong. Its already worth €150,000 in the space of 3 months. I visited Dalton Park about 10 times before I bought it, morning time, afternoon and night time. Seen no problems, had no bother from anyone, walked around it, it is what it is. Its not pretty I guess, it has its social problem no doubt, but as investments go, its a winner so far. It will improve over the years.

What is Lakeland drive like? Is it fairly near town? I'm really interested in a house in Clonmellon and i'm wondering how far from Mullingar it actually is as I love the house and am going to arrange a viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭freewing

Got a mate living in Clonmellon and I live in Mullingar, its about a 25 min drive but you could do it quicker if you wanted
    He really likes it ,a bit of a small town but it seems friendly enough . I would move there myself but I really like my own house in Mullingar
    Its in the Ennel court area and other than letting a roar at the odd kid I havent had any problems Cheers Eric

freewing wrote:
    Got a mate living in Clonmellon and I live in Mullingar, its about a 25 min drive but you could do it quicker if you wanted
    He really likes it ,a bit of a small town but it seems friendly enough . I would move there myself but I really like my own house in Mullingar
    Its in the Ennel court area and other than letting a roar at the odd kid I havent had any problems Cheers Eric

thats a nice area but cant afford to live there, so i'll see how my offer on the house in Clonmellon goes. Thanks,
    Síle

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

I just moved into Prospect avenue two months ago, lovely houses and two minutes from town centre yet easy access to the motorway. Not Cheap though.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 joe bolan show

lake point way to big, and getting bigger along the new c link road houses and lots of them concrete jungles no shops and a fast road not good for kids
    buy a farm i say its moo moo moo:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

thegreek15 wrote: »
    There is a lot of nice well priced properties in Mullingar, just check out daft. I recently bought a house in Dalton Park, its not as bad as people might say. I dont live in the house, in the process of "Letting" it out. But for the price €125,000 purely as an investment goes, you couldnt go wrong. Its already worth €150,000 in the space of 3 months. I visited Dalton Park about 10 times before I bought it, morning time, afternoon and night time. Seen no problems, had no bother from anyone, walked around it, it is what it is. Its not pretty I guess, it has its social problem no doubt, but as investments go, its a winner so far. It will improve over the years.

What's that you say???

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Yeah, other than the 200 strong riots! Welcome to knackeragua my friend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ymorris

Dunno if this is for this forum or accomodation/property? Fell free to move it.

Thinking of moving to Mullingar from Dublin and was wondering where are the 'good' areas to live?

I heard that Dalton park and the Grange Estate are to be avoided.
    Hi, just came across ur message, were now moving frm dublin to mullingar and wondering now that u are living down there have u any suggestions of nice areas to buy a house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

testicle wrote: »
    What's that you say???

Nice one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 walsh350

Were looking at mullingar. We want a place with good transport to dublin nearby, were from dub originally but live in London now. Say a 2 bed in a non **** hole, that isn't too built up for under 100k euros.possible? Anywhere else near dub we should look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭LJL

your not going to get much in mullingar for under €100k. most housing estates are near a link road that will bring you onto the dual carriageway.
    in my opinion the nicest housing estates would be brookfield, beech grove, prospect or if your looking for a semi d. pettitstwood manor or derravara. have a look on daft tho.

there is a new development of apartments called tailteann court that you may get for around the €100k mark but im not sure what they are like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 walsh350

Don't think we are going to buy in Ireland at all now, just doesn't seem like the best idea anymore.

Would ideally like to go back to dublin but the areas I like are mega bucks.

Were looking at the south of Spain now. There's lovely places for 100k, year round sunshine and dolphin watching from the beach. Yes please!

Thanks for the responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 smgill

Anybody know anything about Springfield Mullingar. Is is a problem area?

Thinking of buying a house in Springfield Mullingar. Is it a problem area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭passremarkable

smgill wrote: »
    Thinking of buying a house in Springfield Mullingar. Is it a problem area.

I think that's near dalton park area
    Wouldn't be highly thought of as far as I know

Thanks "Passremarkable". I want to avoid an anti social area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Way to resurrect an old thread!

I think hillside is the nicest area in Mullingar.
    Houses oy become available when someone dies!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

A reference was made here about Abbeylands but it goes back to May 2006. I am looking at a couple of houses here and was wondering if things have changed and what the opinion is of it now. They are sweet little houses and meet my needs and budget.

I don't do pubs at night so nightlife is not an issue, possibly football on Sunday afternoon but back for my Horlicks at 7pm more like.

Opinions welcome. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Have no idea about Abbeylands but its nicknamed shabbeylands

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jenniwenni

Depends where in Abbeylands, up towards the back of the estate is a bit grotty allright, but near the front is fine. Its an excellent location for schools, town, hospital etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Time Now Please

testicle wrote: »
    What's that you say???

You walked around it!! Brave man, I'd stay away from this area and also from another estate the other end of the town called Woodlands, another breeding ground for asbo babies!!

Advertisement