Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Install yourself or Pay?

Options
  • 23-05-2006 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

I have a 6 disc cd changer that I wish to install into a 00 VW Polo.

Has anyone tried to install one of these before? Is it very complicated?

Are you better to pay for it to be installed?
    What is the average cost?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

To be honest, without knowing what you are like at DIY and with electrics and given the fact that you must ask, my opinion (with respect) would be that you may be better off paying an expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Installing a CD changer in a VW Polo is quite easy in relation to other cars. If you think you can do it then go for it. But if you are unsure then best to leave it to the pros, as kbannon says, just in case something goes horribly wrong:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Anyone have any links to installers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Where are you, a mate does a lot of work in the Palmerstown area, fairly reasonably priced too. Pm me if you want his number.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Darando

First off, need a bit more info. Are you using the radio that is already in the car? - if it is then you need to check if it is cd changer compatible. (wha is the model? -picture>?).

If using a new radio such as a pioneer etc then its a case off getting a special cable and fiiting teh headunit- easy task.

If it is then it should be an easy job. I did a mates fiesta no probs and i dont know that much.

Also what is the CDchanger you have bought already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

ITs an old CD Changer and radio kit.
    Aiwa CT-R429M and similar 6 Disc changer.
    The stock car radio needs to be dumped as when it is plugged in it is not switching off and draining the battery.

I Build PC's and have done general maintenance on cars and bikes but i've never had a look nor seen anything like this done before.
    I've heard you have to feed the cable through the existing console unit to just behind the handbrake and then run the cable under the carpet. is this correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I had a '97 Polo and to wire to the boot I went along the side of the car, lifted the sill at the door and there is a cable run here you can add to. I then went behind the glove box to access the back of the stereo. Not sure if your polo is the model after mine though. I removed the glove box easily by taking all the torx screws out and it made it much easier to work with. If yours is the later model it might not be that easy to remove.

well if its a case off you taking out the old radio and replacing it with another then that is quite easy.

Firstly, from what i can see around the net, this awia model has ISO connectors on the back of it (just a standard connector) (http://www.yopi.de/AIWA_CT_R429M_Kassetten_Radios#details)

Secondly you need a special lead that will change the wiring in a polo (which is not ISO) to the ISO configuration. You should be able to buy these around the net (called ISO adaptor/ISO harness/ISO lead or harness adaptor)

http://www.autoleads.co.uk/downloads/01CarAudFit1.pdf

I think if you use the autoleads make its harness adaptor PC2-69-4 (www.autoleads.co.uk). try type PC2-69-4 into google and see the shops. Autoleads is a very good make, also for support if you have installation problems etc. (would recommend them).

Then its just a case of taking out the old radio, removing wires from back, plug these wires into harness adaptor and then the harness adptor into the new radio. (I know its sound difficult but it really is only changing a wire)

The best thing about having the cable then means you can put in any radio with ISO connectors. The CD changer part should then hook up to the new radio. It wont have anything to do with the wires in the polo.

Its just a case of putting the actual changer wherever you want to, i.e boot, glovebox etc. Run the wire from the new radio to cd changer however you want. (I assume you have the cable that attaches the CD changer to the radio!!!!)

Trust me its really easy, will take you about 30 minutes as a novice.

Forgot to mention takign teh old radio out: see post : "removing radio from mark iV golf" posted tonight. You need a set of removal keys. also can be bought from radio shop. should be only a couple of euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Have you considered a MP3 CD player? Much easier to install and 10 discs worth of songs on one CD with the bonus of ID tag info too. In fact I've got a spare Pioneer one from my old car - PM if you're intersted - I'll give you a fair price! Unfortunately my new car has an integrated in dash 6 CD changer - would prefer to be use my old head unit!

I plugged the radio in before and it connected and powered with no probs. It has an iso connector. The only thing is wiring the CD changer to the Radio, I'm just wondering where the wire goes. but i'll give the advice so far a try.
    Thanks lads. Any more info and I'll be most thankful.

Naw, no need for an mp3/cd player, the radio has front input for MP3 player.

• Advertisement

on the back of the radio there should be input - maybe something like this

http://www.victormorris.com/ebay/items/AiwaCarCDChanger2.jpg

you should just be plug the cd changer cable into this and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

it's more fun and satisfying to install it your self as it is not that difficult at all. I'd also agree with the poster who recommended an mp3 player over the 6 disc player - by far the best option.

my current stereo has line in, much hander. :D

Soz for the confusion, was asking where the cable from the radio to the cd changer gets threaded through, but its done now thanks to the help of me flatmate (Asok, more than just a friendly smod) :D

thanks for all your help lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

"The stock car radio needs to be dumped as when it is plugged in it is not switching off and draining the battery."

I've heard this before... apparently there are two live feeds to the radio - one permanent and one switched on by the ignition switch.

ISO connectors use red as permanent live and orange as the switched feed.

VW in their wisdom use the opposite, when you splice the loom to an ISO socket (as opposed to using the correct adapter as pointed out) orange to orange and red to red results in the radio amp receiving a permanent feed, hence the flat battery.

Advertisement