Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Refund

Options
  • 23-05-2006 6:27pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place so please move if its in the wrong place.

I was talking to a friend of mine who says you can claim back tax that you pay on items you bought for work (travel lunch etc) and on any pension contributions you made.

He said to me that I should send in my P60 plus an estimate of expenses occured while working and I could be in line for a "yearly" windfall (expect for pesnions which becomes adjusted in the form of tax credits).

Is this the case or is he talking through his hole?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

You can only claim back on travel expense for public transport but your employer is suppose to be in on this(see Oasis.gov website)
    Tax back on company pensions i believe is given at source or not at all if my memory is correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

they don't have links on the revenue site (apart from www.revenue.ie), but the place you need to go is:

Click on "Information...about PAYE" in the left-hand menu, then click on "Guides: Tax Credits, Reliefs and Rates" - gives just about all the information you need!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

gurramok wrote:
    You can only claim back on travel expense for public transport but your employer is suppose to be in on this(see Oasis.gov website)
    Tax back on company pensions i believe is given at source or not at all if my memory is correct!

What do you me the employer is meant to be in on this? I know you can get the speical monthly and yearly tickets take free

they don't have links on the revenue site (apart from www.revenue.ie), but the place you need to go is:

Click on "Information...about PAYE" in the left-hand menu, then click on "Guides: Tax Credits, Reliefs and Rates" - gives just about all the information you need!

Thanks for the links

Edit: Check out the revenue web site. Cant find "Guides: Tax Credits, Reliefs and Rates" you got a link for it?

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

kearnsr wrote:
    What do you me the employer is meant to be in on this? I know you can get the speical monthly and yearly tickets take free

Some info from Oasis:
    OASIS wrote:
    The TaxSaver scheme is operated by Dublin Bus and Iarnród Éireann in conjunction with the Revenue Commissioners. The scheme involves employers providing employees (including company directors) with bus and rail commuter tickets while saving on employer PRSI payments. Employees participating in the scheme benefit from reduced tax and PRSI payments.

Employees receive tickets either as part of their salary package (salary sacrifice), in lieu of an annual cash bonus, or as a benefit-in-kind. Savings arise because tickets are not subject to tax or PRSI. Employees only have to pay tax and PRSI on the "money" portion of their salary. Employer PRSI is also calculated on the "money" portion of the employee's salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

kearnsr wrote:

Thanks for the links

Edit: Check out the revenue web site. Cant find "Guides: Tax Credits, Reliefs and Rates" you got a link for it?

unfortunately, no matter what page you go to on the revenue.ie webpage, the address doesn't change from revenue.ie, so i can't give you a specific link.

Does following the instructions in my original post not get you there?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

unfortunately, no matter what page you go to on the revenue.ie webpage, the address doesn't change from revenue.ie, so i can't give you a specific link.

Does following the instructions in my original post not get you there?

I followed your instructions but couldnt find Guides: Tax Credits, Reliefs and Rates.

Only realised that the address didnt change after you said so!

Advertisement