Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setting up Belkin wireless router with Net1 wireless BB

• 23-05-2006 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Can someone help please.
    Im setting up a wireless Belkin router to use with my Net1 wireless broadband.
    I have plugged the Net1 ethernet cable that comes from the ariel into the router socket on the belkin router. (This cable was previously plugged into my network card on pc)
    I then plugged in the ethernet cable that came with the Belkin router into my Routers number 3 port, and the other end into my network card on the pc.

I have a solid green power button, solid green W/Lan button, an orange number 3 port button and the "Connected" button is flashing green.

Can anyone help please. I think i have all the cables installed properly. My instalation cd wouldnt get to the stage where i enter in the routers settings as it said it had trouble communicating with my router.

I think the ip of the belkin is 192.168.2.1 and i cant ping it or access it thru a browser. Ping = request timed out. I have zonealarm disabled.

Appreciate replies.
    Ps: Can you mods unban me from the computer section, i believe my 2months is up. Thanks. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

great way to go about getting unbanned from a forum:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Nuttzy wrote:
    Appreciate replies.
    Ps: Can you mods unban me from the computer section, i believe my 2months is up. Thanks. :)

You could try PMing the mod that banned you. Just a thought ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

I forget who it was, was 2months ago.
    Anybody have any technical help for me as opposed to the banning issue.
    I think ive listed most of the tech info, if ye need more to go on just ask me a direct question cause im not the best regards computers.

Any help at all. :confused: please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

is there a wireless card in the computer ur using to access the wireless router?

+

did you RTFM????

Hey Rick.
    Theres no wireless card in the main pc. Im just setting up my main pc to use the router with a cable for starters. Then i was hoping to connect my centrino lappy to the main pc wirelessly.

RTFM??? Restart everything, is that what your asking. Yeah, i restarted and powered off my net1 yoke and the router.

• Advertisement

RTFM = read the f_ucking manual

Hilarious!
    And yes i have read the manual, it wasnt ****ing anhthing though.

ok, the belkin is a wireless access point... u wont be able to access it thru the browser on ur "wired" pc cause there is no wireless connection being made.

are u using the installation cd for the belkin on ur pc? see point above...

can you access the internet from ur main pc plugged into the connection on the router?

I didnt know that about the wireless and browser access. Thanks.

THe router cd went through steps 1+2 but wont go onto step 3 which should be where i put in the ip address, etc because it says theres a problem communicating with the router.

No, i cant seem to connect to the net with the router fro mthe main pc. Do i need to have the network cable going from the routers 1 of 4ports and then to the network card on my pc to do this? Or do i just need the Net1 cable plugged into my router instead of my network card?

well if u want to have network access from your main pc ethernet needs to be plugged into the pc - router.

is the router that you have wireless?
    are u using a secondary wireless router pluuged into ur isp provided router?
    tbh mate im just throwing questions at you, ur prob better off getting onto customer support regarding the set up...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Nuttzy wrote:
    Can someone help please.
    Im setting up a wireless Belkin router to use with my Net1 wireless broadband.
    I have plugged the Net1 ethernet cable that comes from the ariel into the router socket on the belkin router. (This cable was previously plugged into my network card on pc)
    I then plugged in the ethernet cable that came with the Belkin router into my Routers number 3 port, and the other end into my network card on the pc.

I have a solid green power button, solid green W/Lan button, an orange number 3 port button and the "Connected" button is flashing green.

Can anyone help please. I think i have all the cables installed properly. My instalation cd wouldnt get to the stage where i enter in the routers settings as it said it had trouble communicating with my router.

I think the ip of the belkin is 192.168.2.1 and i cant ping it or access it thru a browser. Ping = request timed out. I have zonealarm disabled.

Appreciate replies.
    There's clearly some very cofused people posting on this thread.

Please post the model number of Belkin. That'll help clarify things a little.

After that, disconnect the Belkin from your Net1 router, and just connect the Belkin to your PC (on one of the Belkin LAN ports - the port 3 you mentioned should be fine).

Now can you talk to the Belkin? If not, make sure that your ethernet card is set up for DHCP. Also check that any connection lights on the Belkin and your ethernet card are lit up. If you atill can't see the Belink from your PC, try using the cable that originally connected you to the Net1 router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Foxwood wrote:
    Please post the model number of Belkin. That'll help clarify things a little.

Indeed.
    Foxwood wrote:
    After that, disconnect the Belkin from your Net1 router,
    As far as I can tell the only router is the belkin one. The aerial is on the roof and is connected to a radio unit that has a ethernet cable entering the house which you connect directly to PC or a router. It's same set up as IBB breeze afaik.

Anyway, Nuttzy, post the model number of the Belkin and we'll walk you through the setup. Your initial setup with cables sounds spot on so it's prob just an ip address issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You may need to clone over the MAC address to the router of the first computer that was connected to the net connection (you do for IBB), the connection light flashing means it ISN'T connected and oh yeah it not another BELKIN question!$£%$^?

Aside from Belkin bashing these are quite easy to setup, forget the install CD (complete waste of time) just configure it manually.

Need the model number to give anymore of my oh so valuable advice!!! LOL

@ ANYONE: Anybody know if Net1 use static or dynamic IPs?

You may need to clone over the MAC address to the router of the first computer that was connected to the net connection (you do for IBB)
    No you don't for IBB. AFAIK, only NTL require MAC cloning to be used.
    @ ANYONE: Anybody know if Net1 use static or dynamic IPs?
    Website says static.

Grand no need to clone the MAC but it won't hurt if you do/did. Should of said I did for IBB as it wasn't connecting when I didn't has worked ever since.

Grand no need to clone the MAC but it won't hurt if you do/did.

Let's not complicate things! ;)

OK Static it is.

Emm I still don't see the OP posting the model number so thats where we stop for now.

I was barred from this section and couldnt reply. Thanks for the help here lads.
    Its a Belkin high-speed mode wireless G router. Model F5D7231-4. Thats all it says on the box and on bottom of the router itself.
    Netone uses static ip`s which is the option i selected during the instalation cd stages.

I got a bit further with the cd on my laptop. It seemed happy with the set-up regarding cables, etc. It went to the stage where it tried to connect, it stated it would try up to 10 times which it did, took ages,,, but then it said it failed to connect. Im a bit stuck. Hmmmmm.

Heres a little pic. Note, i only had the blue ethernet cable in in this pic, and not the net1 cable coming from ariel.

Fecking manual for that model won't download for me. Leave it with me and I'll get back to you tomorrow.

• Advertisement

ok so.

Do you get your IP via DHCP or manually set yourself? I mean before you had the router???

Nuttzy wrote:
    I was barred from this section and couldnt reply. Thanks for the help here lads.
    Its a Belkin high-speed mode wireless G router. Model F5D7231-4. Thats all it says on the box and on bottom of the router itself.
    Netone uses static ip`s which is the option i selected during the instalation cd stages.

I got a bit further with the cd on my laptop. It seemed happy with the set-up regarding cables, etc. It went to the stage where it tried to connect, it stated it would try up to 10 times which it did, took ages,,, but then it said it failed to connect. Im a bit stuck. Hmmmmm.

OK so now we can help.

Will regret this, irlrobins will probably die laughing but I have the exact same router so there ya go I've given the game away (although I have just received a Canyon router from gline (it arrived today BTW) which I am using in client mode back to the belkin at this very moment) so hopefully I can get you up and connected it no time.

OK forget the CD, mine was a waste of time too so stop fooling yourself it just won't work.

I am assuming that Net1 has given you all the info you need to fill in the next bit which is the connection & dns settings? See pic 1 & 2 (random info filled in)

Just after reading the OP again and I note you have Zonealarm installed but disabled, ZA has been known to block even in its disabled state so this may be complicating matters not sure as I don't use it (find it clunky & slow).

Now to the router:
    (this bit is done with router and computer connected, don't bother with the Net1 adaptor until the lack of connectivity to the router is sorted)

If Net1 get you to setup your computer IP manually you will need to change the setting to get IP via DHCP, then you need to plug in the net card to the router edit: after doing the following

Start> Run > CMD press enter > ipconfig /release press enter
    (this is to be done if you had obtained your IP via DHCP and have not restarted the computer since disconnecting the Net1 Adaptor, if you manualy set the IP then you need to change the setting back to IP via DHCP

Power on / off router to clear any crud from its settings, in fact it might be an idea to push and hold >4sec the reset button instead so that it returns to the factory settings of 192.168.2.1 to ensure the IP hasn't been changed on it.

I have included a pic of the MAC clone screen here (No 3) as some providers use the MAC address of the 1st interface connected to their adaptor to ID the end user and allocate their IP (this can be done using reserved IPs in DHCP) so even though you have a fixed IP you may well get that IP via DHCP and the MAC of the network interface on your computer needs to be cloned over to the WAN MAC of the router to fool the DHCP server into giving your router your static IP. To clone the MAC of your computer interface just hit the clone button.:rolleyes:

Try these settings and see how you get on.

Munster

EDIT: Correct typo's

MunsterCycling, thanks for that reply, must have taken you a bit of time to work out and type it. I get the IP and DNS manually. Im going to uninstall zonealarm completely too.

Just 1 question, how do i get the screen up where i need to input them settings if i dont bother with the cd? My browser wasnt bringing up anything when i entered 192.168.2.1. Is there another way?

You need to change your IP to use DHCP (the DHCP server in the router will give the computer the settings it needs) or change your IP settings to something like

IP: 192.168.2.20
    SUBNET MASK: 255.255.255.0
    DEFAULT GATEWAY: 192.168.2.1

Would recommend DHCP route as it sorts out the IPs for you.

Whats happening is you are more than likely using a different IP range and subnet mask and so as TCP/IP see it are on a different network.

Should have said to use ipconfig /release before you plug into router in my long post above. :rolleyes:

Im going to wait till tomorrow to try this. Its past my bedtime :D .Ill let ye know how i get on.

Will regret this, irlrobins will probably die laughing but I have the exact same router
    I've lost all respect for you now. :p

I got it when I was innocent of there faults but at least I now know better and have hands on experience with sorting out the problems they cause.....

Well thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it. The OP has to set their IP manually so thats why they can't login to the router as on different network.

Munster /goes and sobbs in the corner/ sniff

• Advertisement

The OP has to set their IP manually so thats why they can't login to the router as on different network.
    Yea was leaning towards that conclusion myself. Nice one.

Hey chaps, Right, im only starting to tackle this again now. Im not sure what im suppsoed to be doing but i started by typing the ipconfig/release thingy into the command window.
    It states that there is no device in operation for this command to be carried out, or something to that tune. It states that whether i have the router plugged in or not.

Browser is still not bringing up the belkin router page where i can put in settings.
    How do i get to that "router setup utility" in the pics you attached?
    I uninstalled Zonealarm too.
    Ran cd again for the craic, its still reporting the pc cant communicate with router. This is because i havent managed to release the ip or change the routers ip as ye suggested???
    Whats my next move?

Sorry for being a complete noob to this broadband stuff. Is the "connected light on the router indicating a connection to the internet or a connection between router and pc?

Have you changed your IP from static to vis DHCP??? If you don't do this it will never repeat NEVER be able to bring up the router config pages.

Ignore the ipconfig bit prob just confusing the issue, just change the IP setting to DHCP, plug the net cable into router and computer and restart your computer then open a browser window and type in : 192.168.2.1 hit enter and the config page should load

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

To change your IP address, go to Start/Control Panel/Network Connections.
    Right click on your ethernet interface (Usually labelled "Local Area Connection") and select Properties. Double-click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)".

Make a note of all the settings before you change anything - alt-printscreen, and paste it into Paintbrush or whatever suits you. If there's an IP address specified, you may need to put it into the Belkins settings once you get connected.

Just select "Obtain an IP address automatically" and you should then be able to disabe and enable the interface to talk to the belkin.

Hi lads,
    Just select "Obtain an IP address automatically" and you should then be able to disabe and enable the interface to talk to the belkin.
    oh right, i was wondering how to change the dchp thingy, I have since managed to do that. I went to my browser and it brought up 192.168.2.1.

I went into the "Lan settings" bit, (thanks for the screen shots!) where i entered my static ip that net1 gave me, the subnet mask and the default gateway that net1 gave me.
    However, when i hit apply changes, a little window pops up telling me the form an IP should take. Its as if its telling me the ip i entered isnt in the correct format. Is it because my ip has 2numbers for the 1st bit instead of 3?
    My net1 assigned static IP is in the form of: xx.xxx.xxx.xxx Im entering in the numbers correctly, am i being a retard again or is there something wrong?

Lads, i got it working!!! :D
    I was putting the ip info into Lan settings instead of WAN settings. :o

Thanks for all the help, i`d never have got this going without it.
    Ill annoy ye tomorrow evening for help connecting my laptop wirelessly to the main pc/router set-up if ye dont mind helping again.
    Thanks. :)

• Advertisement

Nuttzy wrote:
    Lads, i got it working!!! :D
    I was putting the ip info into Lan settings instead of WAN settings. :o

Thanks for all the help, i`d never have got this going without it.
    Ill annoy ye tomorrow evening for help connecting my laptop wirelessly to the main pc/router set-up if ye dont mind helping again.
    Thanks. :)

/Runs for cover going: AHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh! ;)

Glad you got it to work.

Munster

Advertisement