Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bum bags

• 23-05-2006 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

Heres a blast from the past, please tell me people still dont wear these in public? I see loads of people (im living in the US) wearing them along with hidious clothes. Ok they might be useful but they look just awful, also called "fanny packs" in the US. Fashion accessory nightmare!
    Eughhhhhhh!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Euwwww! :eek: Dear God, why? Practicality's all well and good, but it's not that important. Rucksacks ftw ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Have you been to the airport lately? More of them than you can shake a stick at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭fabcat

I have the new gucci one, but it's a BELTBAG as I keep correcting people. There are some HORRIBLE fake versions of it going round that for some reason knackers wear like handbags?!??!?! I really don't understand this. They're supposed to go around your waist not over your shoulder. It's not like the early nineties version, it has two pockets and a black belt with a gucci clip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

grimloch wrote:
    Have you been to the airport lately? More of them than you can shake a stick at.

Must put an end to this at once, to the airport!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

fabcat wrote:
    I have the new gucci one, but it's a BELTBAG as I keep correcting people. There are some HORRIBLE fake versions of it going round that for some reason knackers wear like handbags?!??!?! I really don't understand this. They're supposed to go around your waist not over your shoulder. It's not like the early nineties version, it has two pockets and a black belt with a gucci clip.

you're the kind of person who calls a manbag a shoulder bag :p

just because it's got a fancy designer label doesn't mean it's not a bumbag lol..

saying that word makes me chuckle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Guv

I use a bumbag/fanny pack on occasion, mainly when travelling for passports, money etc. I also use it sometimes in the gym for locker key, mobile phones, wallet etc. I may keep the items in it but not necessarily wear it.

Fashion accessory nightmare, I disagree, obviously! However it's not like I use it all the time. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 PCRed

My vision of a bumbag is a fat American tourist walking around Dublin with Green trousers and a baseball cap (men with WW2 medals on Cap) telling tales of their Irishness.
    Not that I have anything against Yanks, it's just :D Yanks on tour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

PCRed wrote:
    My vision of a bumbag is a fat American tourist walking around Dublin with Green trousers and a baseball cap (men with WW2 medals on Cap) telling tales of their Irishness.

Haha, I concur...

c'mon people widen your minds, let these things come back in fashion, I'm fighting a one woman battle on my own!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yeah Gucci and DKNY brought out those 'belt bags' about two years ago. Hmmm I was never conviced they looked cool. They look better when worn across the body, not as a fanny pack/bumbag.

Bumbags should be burned!( along with the yanks wearing them! just kidding!):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Cremo wrote:
    just because it's got a fancy designer label doesn't mean it's not a bumbag lol..

Absolutely! No designer tag will convince me that those things look cool. Although back in the day I did think my flourescent pink and green canvas and black leather ones were the height of sophistication :D

"They look better when worn across the body, not as a fanny pack/bumbag."

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

They look so stupid that way!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 perfidiousmonk

they just look stupid, belts are cumbersome enough without adding two great big unwieldy pockets, tipping you forwards like a pendulum off centre.
    Leave them to the Americans, their brainless enough to beleive the propaganda anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Pekka

Looking for heavy leather one with simply one single large zipped front pocket and one small zip pocket at back. Present bought in France in Carcassonne two years ago. Need to buy replacement asap in Dublin

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Larianne wrote:
    Yeah Gucci and DKNY brought out those 'belt bags' about two years ago. Hmmm I was never conviced they looked cool. They look better when worn across the body, not as a fanny pack/bumbag.

Bumbags should be burned!( along with the yanks wearing them! just kidding!):)
    Yeah quite a few brands brought out these belt bags, personally I didn't really like them nor could I think of who would actually buy them. When I think of bum bags, I just vision fat American tourists and as a result, thats who I'll associate them with for some time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

No no no. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Oh mah gawd, I thought this thread was finished, teh horrorz. :eek: *buries thread*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Snobs!:)

How else is a collostomy bag to be discretely hidden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

PCRed wrote:

That's funny, because I live in Orlando, and we associate fanny packs with European tourists (British tourists in particular).
    Again, not that I have anything against Europeans or Brits... it's just the ones on tour. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

If you wear it on your front then it becomes a geebag. True.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

My dad wears them on holidays, its possibly the most embarassing thing he can do because it takes a lot for me to be embarassed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

That's funny, because I live in Orlando, and we associate fanny packs with European tourists (British tourists in particular).
    Again, not that I have anything against Europeans or Brits... it's just the ones on tour. ;)

I've not seen an Irish or British person wear one in the last decade. I saw an American wearing one last week (actually, two Americans in a group or three). Maybe Europeans buy them as a souveneir whilst in the states, as I don't even know are they widely available here anymore.
    On a similar topic, anyone notice Spanish (male) students penchant for handbags? Not record/courier types. Womens handbag style. What? And moreover, why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It sounds like a bum bag to me. The label does not get you off the hook. :p
    fabcat wrote:
    I have the new gucci one, but it's a BELTBAG as I keep correcting people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

il gatto wrote:
    I've not seen an Irish or British person wear one in the last decade.

You should come to Disney World... or Universal Studios... or Seaworld... or Busch Gardens... ;)
    I truly think it's a tourist thing that spans all nationalities. Every country has at least a few of the fashion senseless who have to go out and travel the world, shaming their country in the process. Nothing says 'tourist' like a bum bag. Anyone who wears one is subject to immediate ridicule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i think the reason why many tourist wear them is because they are sold in 100% of the airports out there.

this is excluding them *sighs*... gucci "belt bags"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Belt bag? A bum bag by any other name is still a bum bag:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ninabissett

If you are ever gonna wear a bum bag, do it in style.

http://www.louisvuitton.com/web/flash/index.jsp;jsessionid=SK2DDZRJ2RHKYCRBXUDVAFYKEG4RAUPU?buy=1&langue=en_GB

I have asked a SA in Louis Vuittion to see this bag and its absolutely stunning. I can only touch though. She quoted me 5,700euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Both my parents wear them from time to time. It is hideously shameful!!!!

Oh well, the bumbags make them happy I guess :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

fabcat wrote:
    c'mon people widen your minds, let these things come back in fashion, I'm fighting a one woman battle on my own!! :eek:

They were never in fashion ffs, they were like mullets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement