Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Table tennis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

When I first heard about this, I was like, damn, why did noone think of this before?

Pong to the next level.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

good review alright, I have to admit that I don't/didn't expect anything from this, it seemed like Rockstar just doing something for the fun of it.

But hey, reading the review I can see how it could be a laugh, especially multiplayer or on live!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

ign only gave it 7.8 and the review seems to state some blatant problems. ie the lack of any 1 player career and the bad multiplayer options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

evad_lhorg wrote:
    ign only gave it 7.8 and the review seems to state some blatant problems. ie the lack of any 1 player career and the bad multiplayer options.

But its made in the UK so EG would give it one extra for that.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I read the IGN review and it's just as positive about the gameplay as Eurogamer.

They just docked marks for the lack of a career mode and create a player mode and as much fun as I'm sure designing my own paddle would be, I think I like the decision Rockstar made to create fantastic, deep gameplay, without spending months upon months on artwork and features and bonus material, passing the saving on to the consumer with a half priced game.

With all the doomsday scenarios people have been playing up about game devs going bankrupt because of next gen costs, maybe this is a defining example of a whole new type of product, from one of the most respected developers in the world, that manages to give us both next gen visuals and deep gameplay, at a lower than normal cost. I wonder if its a success will more publishers toy with this price point, there's certainly room for games that fit somewhere in between Live Arcade and the likes of Oblivion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

Cant wait for this one to be honest! I've been waiting since the first day I heard about it! Should be a great laugh with mates!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

KdjaC wrote:

Fell for that before when I bought the god awful Battle Engine Aquila.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

KdjaC wrote:

kdjac
    also its half price probably helped it

it does look like a fun party game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Fell for that before when I bought the god awful Battle Engine Aquila.

I really like that game! Not much of a story but good for a 5 minute blast!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Surprised no one mentioned this yet, this game played with a wii-mote (or possibly a PS3 controller) could have some serious potential.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

KdjaC wrote:

kdjac
    Developer:
    Rockstar San Diego

looks interesting though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I don't care about "Create a player" modes. Shame there isn't more singeplayer but it's cheaper so that makes up for it I guess.

I was thinking about picking this up, looks like it could be fun, and the Eurogamer review confirmed that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sounds like a really fast paced and competitive pre-pub multiplayer game. Wouldn't sell me a 360 but If I had one I'd probably pick it up especially at that price.

The gameplay videos on gametrailers.com look like a lot of fun. I'll hopefully pick it up at the weekend, looks to be a great multiplayer game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Fooking thing is not released until 2moro.. Has anyone jumped the release date by any chance.. Or is anyone willing to sort me out ;););) Would love to play this this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

What's with all this half price nonsense? Game has it for 30 sterling where most 360 games are 40 to 45. Hardly half price and more expensive here than any DS game so far released.

Given the amount of content creation that seems to have gone into it, I'd say they'd still make a profit at 15 to 20 sterling. Shame it's a 360 exclusive, as something so simple could have been done on all platforms and could have netted them really big sales if they played it right.

edit: Okay, I came across a little harsher than I meant to. I mean, the game looks like a lot of fun. I just don't get why people are making such a big deal out of the slightly reduced price point. I'm also bitter that it's an XBOX 360 exclusive :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

it is 45euro in shops tomorrow. that is the price of a DS game or new GBA game but for a next gen console. bargain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

evad_lhorg wrote:
    it is 45euro in shops tomorrow. that is the price of a DS game or new GBA game but for a next gen console. bargain

You should read that out loud,regardless of format 50 is too expensve yet 45 is a bargain :confused:

kdjac

Actually changed my mind when I saw the price. 30 would be acceptable. 45 is taking the piss especially when a new DS game is going for the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

eh?

• Advertisement

Yea I was under the impression it'd be around 30 euro, 45 doesn't seem like such a good deal. Still, if it plays as well as reviews suggest it might be worth getting. I wonder if there'll be a demo on marketplace, I'm stilll 50/50 on whether to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Dermington

Balfa wrote:
    Shame it's a 360 exclusive, as something so simple could have been done on all platforms and could have netted them really big sales if they played it right.

Because of the lack of major single player content they wanted to make is as multiplayer as possible and most likely secured more money by keeping it for xbox 360 only and also got access to the biggest online console market in the world (50% of all 360 owners use xbox live).

Though it sucks (personally I own a 360 and dont give a crap about whether or not its multi platform) it makes more sense for them to do it this way imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dang, a multiplayer event game, I don't have broadband and would love to have had this one for the single player career mode, now to find they didn't bother, feck, hope this isn't a sign of things to come, titles launching without a proper single player mode, that would, in a word, suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

KdjaC and Retro see my point :D Most people seem to be thinking it's more discounted than it is.

Evad, what I'm getting at is that there are DS and GBA games that are better than this, yet they sell for cheaper. Your argument about it being a good deal because it's next gen yet costs the same as a DS game would imply that XBOX 360 games are inherently better than DS games, which I don't agree with.

You have to look at it from a buyers point of view. I have 45 euro to entertain myself with. Will I be more entertained by Rockstar Table Tennis or by New Super Mario Bros? http://www.gamerankings.com/ seems to suggest the latter.

On top of this, I'm spinning a North American point of view on this, where DS games are ALL launched for $30-$35 or less, and yet RsTT is still $40.

And very good point, Dermington.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Ordered it for ~€40 from play.com. Compared to the ridiculous €60-75 tag on most 360 games it's a bargin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

After a days play this game has me totally mesmerised, it's all about the gameplay, there's such a deep game there just waiting to be mastered

Online play is fantastic too

nothing like a hundred shot rally to get the reflexes going

Advertisement