Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your OS legit?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭IrishEmperor

I wonder will there be more widespread use of illegit Mac OS in the future?
    ..seeing as the components will be more easily upgradeable (CPUs across the range & GPUs for Intel-Powermac owners) and people wont feel they might as well get a new system just to move up to Leopard..Possum..Badger/or whatever comes next :confused: (as many have seem to have done until now)

..and will Vista be stricter than XP in terms of registering? (ie. mandatory registration) and possibly no 'corporate editions'..
    - even the beta versions being torrented around now only work for 30 days without registering dont they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Lappy and desktop came with OEM versions but server is happy on SUSE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

I wonder will there be more widespread use of illegit Mac OS in the future?
    ..seeing as the components will be more easily upgradeable (CPUs across the range & GPUs for Intel-Powermac owners) and people wont feel they might as well get a new system just to move up to Leopard..Possum..Badger/or whatever comes next :confused: (as many have seem to have done until now)

..and will Vista be stricter than XP in terms of registering? (ie. mandatory registration) and possibly no 'corporate editions'..
    - even the beta versions being torrented around now only work for 30 days without registering dont they?
    Microsoft have started cracking down on all of these 'corporate verisons' and PC's have started showing messages saying "this version of Windows is not valid... You have 14 days to register blah blah blah."
    Microsoft announced that on Tuesday (April 25, 2006) it will make Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) more bothersome than ever. A new update for WGA is now on the Windows Update website as a mandatory update. Once installed, your copy of Windows will be checked for validity. If your Windows installation is found not to be genuine, Windows will display a message telling you that "This copy of Windows is not genuine." Windows will check and display messages on every boot as well as once an hour (or so). The new WGA tool also puts an icon in your system tray if your copy of Windows is not genuine.

Once notified and prompted to validate your copy of Windows, you will have 14 days to do so. If after 14 days you do not comply, you will not be able to download updates from the Windows Update website. Critical security updates will still be available via the Automatic Update built into Windows.

Microsoft hopes that by nagging users to get a genuine copy of Windows, it will cut down on piracy. We all know how much we despise pop-ups. Microsoft also urges anyone who purchased an illegal copy of Windows to report the counterfeit dealer. As a reward, Microsoft will (in most cases) give a free license to victims of counterfeit.

If you do not wish to validate your copy of Windows, there is a way to turn off the notifications by clicking on the system tray icon. If you decide to do so, Microsoft notifies you that you will no longer be able to receive updates via Windows Update. Once you agree to these terms, notification will be disabled. However the tray icon will remain in your system tray. When a new version of WGA is available, the notifications will be enabled again.

Windows Vista has more or less the same level of security as Windows XP Media Center, so nothign new there.

I've 2 x legit Windows XP Home although I haven't them installed on my PC ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭PhilCurran

Bought a copy of windows xp home bout 5years ago. I now have to activate the b*t*h over the phone as I have activated too many times (the last activation was needed after I changed my power supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

[strike]rip burn steal[/strike] (xp pro x 2, win2k3 x 1, vista x 1, xp x64 x 1, OSX x1)

[Please read the Charter - NO WAREZ! NO HACKZ! NO CRACKZ! /CM]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

however now that I can get MS product a fair bit cheaper then retail I will be legally purchasing Vista.

I think €120-150 isn't so bad for the next 5 years before they come out with something new. However when I was 16/17 that was a lotta money to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

BrianjG wrote:
    [strike]rip burn steal[/strike] (xp pro x 2, win2k3 x 1, vista x 1, xp x64 x 1, OSX x1)

the thread is about the legality of the OS on your PC. how was my post relating to "NO WAREZ! NO HACKZ! NO CRACKZ"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Got my stuff cost price from MS, Vista Ordered and paid for.

Have 10 XP and 4 Server 2003 paid for with my own network admin hands! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Got my copies of XP Pro and Server 2003 through the MSDNAA, XP Home with the lappy, and bought copies of 2000 and ME off E-bay.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ME off E-bay.
    LOL
    you parted with money for ME ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

LOL
    you parted with money for ME ;)
    I know, I know...

Testing requirements, what can I say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Legit XPH for the laptop but have Vista beta 2 on it at the moment.
    Desktop is dual-boot with dodgy XPP and Vista Beta 2.

Advertisement