Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art History

Options
  • 23-05-2006 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭

How much are you preparing for this? I've done an essay on Newgrange & Da Vinci so far. This is probably the subject I'm most clueless on as there's no past papers, and I knew it would come down to just learning off essays so I didn't really listen in class.

I've a few questions for anyone in the know. How long should an answer be generally? I'm doing 4/5 pages. How many paintings should you discuss when discussing an artist?

Also, are they supposed to end on some grand outro or do you just stop when you've finished giving detail?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

4 pages is grand I guess it depends on how big your writing/drawings are. I got the LSMS arthistory and there's exam papers in them. Might be handy to pick up at the last mintue to practice past questions.
    Again, about 3/4 paintings is more than enough you could mention a fifth too.
    I always give a conclusion at the end. If you're good at english it should be fine.
    Make sure you draw a box around diagrams and label them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mellifluous

you can get past papers and marking schemes on examinations.ie... it's a good idea to take a good look through them

learning off esssays isn't my style, because you can be never sure of the exact phrasing of a question. i'd get a revision book if i was you and study from that, less stress is really good.

i'd take a good look through the past papers and see which topics always come up. there's always at least 1 pre to early christain question, so that'll cover your irish history... Newgrange didnt come up last year so there's a good chance it will this year, but i wouldn't count on it.

European history is tougher... i'm studying impressionism and post impressionism and that's all.
    my reasoning is; impressionism has always come up and if there's not an impresionism question there's a question asking you to discuse an artist who painted water scenes or something like that...
    so if you're studying da vinci, i'd recomend you study the whole renaisance, but look through past papers and figure it out yourself.

4/5 pages is good, including drawings... the exam is quite short, so make sure you put the same effort into all 3 questions... including the appreciation one.

i'd discuss about 3 paintings per artist but it depends on the question, 2 might do if you're comparing 2 artists or you may need 4 if you're tracing an artists developement...

finally, yes they expect "Outros" and intros, although it can proably just be a suming up line. check the marking schemes...
    if you run out of time, you can always put all the facts down in bullet points but you'll lose points.

i'm repeating the leaving so ive had quite a few teachers giving me all these tips... goodluck anyway

last year i really enjoyed the art exam, it was kinda... fun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Also, what about the appreciation question? My teacher said you can't prepare for it. I doubt him though. What have you prepared for it?

I got back that Da Vinci essay today and my teacher said I'd get full marks. I dunno, I only discussed la gioconda & the last supper, along with a good bit about his inventions & stuff. Also, I prepared neolithic tombs, specifically newgrange, last night. Might do a bit on Iron Age stonework in case the q. ties in with that.

I was planning on studying impressionism & post impressionism too so that's a good sign.

All I've got notes wise is...

- Newgrange

- Medieval and Gothic

- Early Christian Ireland - just the high crosses

- Art Gallery Visit

- Giotto, Massico, Donatello and Da Vinci

Should I cover The Bronze Age or could I get away with just those topics? I'm repeating too and I only had one year to cram the course in.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

Funkstard wrote:
    Also, what about the appreciation question? My teacher said you can't prepare for it. I doubt him though. What have you prepared for it?

I got back that Da Vinci essay today and my teacher said I'd get full marks. I dunno, I only discussed la gioconda & the last supper, along with a good bit about his inventions & stuff. Also, I prepared neolithic tombs, specifically newgrange, last night. Might do a bit on Iron Age stonework in case the q. ties in with that.

I was planning on studying impressionism & post impressionism too so that's a good sign.

there is past papers..

and what the **** thats an absalute joke of course you can study for it..

questions such as 'design a houser ' or design a garden/garden furniture/monument' can come up and also the one we have prepared exellently is a visit to an art gallery..why on earth havnt your teachers done this???

• Advertisement

ThrownAway wrote:
    All I've got notes wise is...

- Newgrange

- Medieval and Gothic

- Early Christian Ireland - just the high crosses

- Art Gallery Visit

- Giotto, Massico, Donatello and Da Vinci

Should I cover The Bronze Age or could I get away with just those topics? I'm repeating too and I only had one year to cram the course in.

i may be wrong but i would have suggest to do a few things from bronze/iron and leave out either massico or donatello?you dont need all 4 surely?

i may be wrong but i would have suggest to do a few things from bronze/iron and leave out either massico or donatello?you dont need all 4 surely?
    Really? :confused:

So two would be fine? How many are there?

Well i dont know but have you got the past papers to have a look through because i may be wrong but it seems to me that there is a big choice???

just sometimes like on my mock you can be asked to link newgrange in with iron or stone age??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

im gonna learn f.e mcwilliam, newgrange, the high crosses and georgian architecture for irish
    impressionism, post impressionism, a bit on giotta/cimabue, romanticism and maybe a bit of cubism for eupopean. hoping for post impressionism though.
    ive prepared a question on visiting a gallery for the apppreciation question-anything else ill make up on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭brid_m

I've prepared:

Irish Section : Stone Age
    Iron Age
    Bronze Age
    2 Irish Artists

European Section : Romanesque
    Gothic
    Impressionists
    Botteceli
    Durer

Appreciation : Poster/Graphic Design
    Furniture Design
    Visit to an Exhibition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Irish Section:
    Bronze Age
    Neolithic
    Newgrange

European Section :
    Romanesque Arch.
    Gothic Arch.
    Baroque
    Bernini

Appreciation :
    Gallery Visit. (Durer)

all that plus a whopper amount of waffle

The one thing I hate about art history is the essays. Which is the most important thing :rolleyes: I just hate writing essays. If there was individual questions on each topic with the same choice that we have now it would be so much easier.

Do you think I'd have enouh for section II in Impressionism and everything about it - Jean Auguste Ingres & the old school, Gustave Courbet & Realism, then Manet, Monet & Renoir, then Van Gogh/Gaugin for post-impressionism?

I have an essay done on da Vinci too. I'm just afriad if I get some question to compare the impressionist movement with the renaissance or something...

For Section I, I think I'm just gonna do Newgrange & Neolithic passage tombs...maybe the turoe stone too. Yet then again, they know everyones banking on it so they could screw us over with some bollocks of a question.

Funkstard wrote:
    I have an essay done on da Vinci too. I'm just afriad if I get some question to compare the impressionist movement with the renaissance or something...
    Maybe you should read through the renaissance to just get the idea in case a question like does come up at least you'll be able to say something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

Anyone else leaving studying for Art History until the day before?! I just have too much on my plate at the moment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

deisedolly wrote:
    Anyone else leaving studying for Art History until the day before?! I just have too much on my plate at the moment!!

Me too, I did pretty well in practicals, at worst I got what, say 35% out of the 62.5% possible, So i'm not too worried about the written paper, reckon I'll get about 60points out of art. :) Which will do me fine, as I have no intention of studying (it anytime before the night before the exam.)- sounds weird, but I'm too lazy to fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

Hm, I'm doing Metalwork Iron / Bronze age, Impressionists, New Grange and the art gallery question. the most important thing is to learn what era these things happened in, so if it asks "18th century art movement" you know its impessionism.. or "discuss early christian metalwork objects" you know its the ardagh chalice and derrynaflan chalice and tara broach.. mhm..

Its realativly easy.. imo just learning the discriptions of objects and how to draw them.

Wonder why only 0.5% of art students get an A1, compared to ~10% for English? Like, you obviously have to have something more than whats in the books/notes, etc. because anyone can learn them off.

Actually, I found a huge error in the art textbook yesterday. There's a section about modern architecture, and it briefly described the Sydney Opera house. It said the design was inspired by ships' sails, when time and time again the architect has said it wasn't inspired by sails, they're sections of spheres.

Like, it's pretty well known that it's not from sails because everyone thinks it is, can't believe they put it in the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Dont think the examiner is gonna rape your ass for saying it. You could easily just say "The design, similar to ship sails, achieves a spherical pattern of arcitechture, which is what the designer intended" just write a load of bollox ;)

Well, my teacher gives me a lotta homemade notes.. :P

• Advertisement

deisedolly wrote:

Oh yeah :D

It's my second last exam too. I've never done Art before and didn't do my Art pre either so I've NO IDEA what I'm going to get.
    If the Art exam didn't have practicles I'd fail for sure!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭captainzapp

my second last too. sorted for irish art section, but pretty screwed for the european section and have only ever done apreciation in the pre, which went badly so... im pretty f**ked id say. havent really dont art history this year at all as our sub teachers have all been braindead more or less.

only european history i know REALLY well is miro and dali. everything else is pretty vague.

su surrealism WILL come up right?!?!?! someone tell me what to learn please... theres too much there for me to decide on my own....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Did the exam last year so I might not be a lot of help but here goes.

There is almost always a question on early Christian Ireland (5-10th century AD), manuscripts, metalwork and high crosses. High crosses was up last year on its own, so I would expect one of the other two, or a combination question

For the Europaen essay, if you're doing more modern stuff, last year was quite unusual in that there was no specific question on impressionism, cubism or surrealism. Fauvism came up, as did a question on the second half of the nineteenth sentury allowing you to bring in impressionism and a bit of post-impressionism, but I would say impressionism/surrealism/cubism will come up, and you can always fall back on the "painting involving........" question. Someone asked about a format for this kind of painting I think. I'd usually go for artist introduction, artist style and influences, main painting (be absolutely sure to include lots here about elements and principles of design), paragraph on 1 or 2 other more minor paintings and then conclusion with things such as importance of the painting on the art world, overall impact on you, etc.

For the final section the cest thing is usually to have a museum question prepared, but if you don't, again the elements and principles of design are your friend and will help you out doing a critique of a piece of design etc

Hope that helps a little bit anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭blahhh

My practicals, I hadn't set into Leaving Cert mode back in May and I made a half a.rsed attempt...plus I ran out of time in design :mad: My life drawing was the shizzle though :D

Theory.......meh compared to all other subjects I'm not too worried, give it look over the weekend

ThrownAway wrote:
    Oh yeah :D

It's my second last exam too. I've never done Art before and didn't do my Art pre either so I've NO IDEA what I'm going to get.
    If the Art exam didn't have practicles I'd fail for sure!!

i am too..just cant deal with studying that on top of everything else right now!!its my last exam tho:) :D

I'm going to start rivising for it tomorrow. I have Business and Maths that also need revising.. and TG. I dont really care about TG anymore.. pass subject, doing 8 subjects.. I NEED to do well in Maths so badly. So I will spend an hour at least at each part to make sure I know EVERYTHING that could possibly come up. I didnt study much for paper 1, I did spend more than 4 hours cramming on the day before, I thought I had everything sussed, but the paper was so alien.. It seemed easy enough. I KNEW the graph thing, but my mind drew a blank, all I could think of was Ob-la-dii ob la da by the beatles.. -shrugs- I did my paper in Irish.. :) But its only evident in the first question, everything is labeled, done, double checked. I hope I got 50marks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭HoboJesus

Might as well throw in what I'm covering

Irish Art
    Stone - Iron - Bronze age Metalworks
    Newgrange/dolmens/court-cairns (<3 this section)
    Manuscripts (eg.Book of Kells/Durrow)

European Art
    Romanesque and Gothic sculpture/architecture
    Reneissance sculpture/archichitecture/painting
    Impressionism*

*-don't know this well at all, might consider just not covering it >.>.

I just now realise my focus on ancient history as opposed to the more recent stuff. Oh well. Any chance this stuff wont get me through the exam? I need about 80% for an A1 in art, assuming my teacher's assesment of my practical was accurate and that god loves me. Any suggestions?

I'd also like to note that I have Maths p2, French, and History, a day each next week, so I can't focus on art history too much (until wednesday night, of course ;D).

You are covering a gallery/film question, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭HoboJesus

Exhibit visity thing, aye, have a couple places covered, was just talking about History there, sorry. Although I usually find I'm better off answering one of the random other questions. Did one on important aspects of a poster for the mocks which I hadn't even remotely studied for and got 39/50. Hence the focus on history :). Also I just went through my notes and I've a bit more than the above mentioned, but they're where I'm focusing. I'm not too worried overall, I got 76 in the mocks for which I only studied that morning, and I need 80, I'll just be irritated if nothing I've covered comes up =/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭tinka

i hope a gallery question comes up! i love that question. i managed to do really well in the mocks considering the lack of study. i wrote an entire essay on tony o'malley for the first time in the exam, getting around the style/technique part by saying that he doesn't have any... sorry to any o'malley fans out there! i'll probably cover vermeer and another baroque artist. not sure about the irish section yet.

i have all of wednesday off to study, thank god!

Advertisement