Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art History

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Sawa

TiM_rEAPeR wrote:
    You guys are making me so god dam mad, e-gad! learning off 5 6 essays is joke. I can draw pretty dam good and at the moment im sureto be sitting on a high C, history of art Is a cake and the english flows so im determined that im ONLY going to have to be learning newgrange and impressionism (maybe cubism/surrealism).
    The appreciation is also hilarious, make a sculpture, re-design a cat.. this is only 35.5%, preparing 7 essays like its an entire course is not what this test was designed for, you have to talk with meaning and understanding and not heaving a leart off scribe.

Its 37% I thought, I'd say I got about a B2 in my practical so far and compared to my other subjects thats well good for me so I dont wanna ruin the chance of getting a good grade and a few badly needed points by not studying my ass off tomorrow for art history. im gonna "prepare" essays but all im gonna do is make little cards for each topic, not specific essays, it will take me a few hours. you'd be surprised what sticks in your head when you make little flash card things. its amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭xnightwishx

What do you do for art history when all u have done in class is practicals? I've got a one a4 page note on one qusetion per section...so basically I'm f*****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

annettemc wrote:
    our teacher never did ANY art history with us so i have to cram it all in tomorrow basically and thursday morning. where can i get information on visit to art gallery? anyone know???:confused:
    Don't panic about the visit to the gallery question. If you're completely stuck, choose a relatively unknown local artist/make one up and invent an exhibition and pieces of work. Nobody will check that it really happened, or even that the artist actually exists. You can quite easily get away with making up this whole question.

You'll need to know a specific list of things that you should have a basic idea of before you go into the exam. You should try and get hold of some sample essays to see the basic structure of how it should go. I can't remember all the things, but I'll try to get back to you on it before the exam if nobody else does first. In the meantime, here's a list of roughly what you'll need to include:

- An introduction with a bit about the artist and their background, and maybe a tiny bit about the gallery
    - The overall layout of the area within the gallery that the exhibition was held in/description of the main features (for example, bare stone walls, high ceilings, wooden ceiling beams, etc. You'll need to include a diagram of this)
    - The lighting in the gallery
    - How the work was displayed (eg. hung directly on the wall, on plinths, on the floor. Were there title tags displayed underneath, or were the titles displayed in a leaflet that was handed out?)
    - Fairly in-depth descriptions (plus diagrams) of a few pieces you particularly liked
    - A closing paragraph on your reaction to the exhibition

NB. The diagrams are very important. Make them up.

I've definitely missed a couple of things out here, but with this basic formula you really can't miss out on too many marks. As I said, I'll get back to this. This question really is easy marks, make the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

3 Solid pages (not including drawings) is enough for each essay...

I think the whole idea of drawings pictures in the history test is an absolutely retarded idea, it is completely void, as they serve no purpose* and don't do the original any justice.

Don't say they help explain the drawing, if you are able to do it right and compose yourself, you shouldn't have a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

Shrimp wrote:
    3 Solid pages (not including drawings) is enough for each essay

How would you write 3PAGES on anything?? For example if you're writing about newgrange there is only a certain amount you can write and it certainly wont add up to 3 pages even with drawings!

I only managed about 3/4 of a page to 1 page in the pres and I got on fairly well!
    I can't believe I've left this till the night before AGAIN, some serious cramming to do tonight and tomorrow morning!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭captainzapp

awh jeez you guys are making me feel so much better! at least most of us are doomed together. seriously, some of you have never done art history in class? bizarre...
    is stone age, iron age and manuscripts enough for the irish art section?
    is miró, dalí, picasso, some impressionists and romantics enough for european art?
    am i completely screwed in apreciation as missed the only apreciation class in visiting a gallery and have therefore done NOTHING for that section?

If the visit to a gallery doesnt come up in section III i am flucked!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

Don't worry even if it doesn't come up there will be some kind of design question like ''design an outdoor room''.

I know I could waffle on for ages about that one and draw lots of diagrams.

ThrownAway wrote:
    Don't worry even if it doesn't come up there will be some kind of design question like ''design an outdoor room''.

I know I could waffle on for ages about that one and draw lots of diagrams.

Yeah but is there not some sort of specific way of answering those type questions??
    We never practised anything like that!

I doubt it and even if that's the case they'll at least give me marks for creativity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

deisedolly wrote:
    How would you write 3PAGES on anything?? For example if you're writing about newgrange there is only a certain amount you can write and it certainly wont add up to 3 pages even with drawings!

I only managed about 3/4 of a page to 1 page in the pres and I got on fairly well!
    I can't believe I've left this till the night before AGAIN, some serious cramming to do tonight and tomorrow morning!!
    good luck with that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 chairs

i cant believe anyone is stressing out about art history! for me it's just a nice, easy going last exam. Going for a B and i don't think Art history is difficult at all. I'm just gonna look at a couple of things for Irish Art and european art tonight for an hour or two. Then do one of the "design a poster" type questions on 3. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

Shrimp wrote:
    good luck with that...

i was thinking the same... for a newgrange Q youd be writing 3 pages..maybve 4 with diagrams.

am i completely screwed in apreciation as missed the only apreciation class in visiting a gallery and have therefore done NOTHING for that section?
    Read my post above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 blah blah blah

deisedolly wrote:
    Yeah but is there not some sort of specific way of answering those type questions??
    We never practised anything like that!

Yeah there is a specific way of answering those questions. I hate the museum question and i'm really crap at it. I asked my teacher about doing a different one, one of the architechture ones or something, but he couldnt find some book he had with what was needed for those questions. He told me to just do the museum question anyway because you can lose a lot of marks if you dont write what it is you're meant to know for those question.
    So now i dunno what to do!
    :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 blah blah blah

oh and thanks for the tips bounty_hunter

Shrimp wrote:
    good luck with that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TiM_rEAPeR

I find that been decent enough at english really help with history of art, the trick to this exam is deception and passion with combined interest..

For example, always use outrageour adjectives, nice fluent drawn out sentences and words that convey you really understand what your talking about..

Dont just write, for example... Here are some facts about Newgrange: (this is only a vague example) "Newgrane is decorated with concentric circles and has has a decorated entrance stone..."

These two simlpe facts can be strung out and drawn + added with your own meaning to create "Throughout newgrange we see many examples of art and design, although all meaning has been lost through time it is speculated that their decorations served for astronomical and religious belief, some ever argue that an elaborate language is interwoven throughout this kidney shaped mound. On seeing the entrance stone during a class visit I was amzed to see just how well preserved the concentric spirals and lozenges were. It was clear that the triple spiral lozenges were of significant importance and it was highly regarded that the served as either a map of the surrounding landscape or a laungage of shapes and spirlas. blah blah blah" (dont hold me on the validity of this statement, I know its only 90% accurate + missing a few things)

You see how easy that was., now combine a diagram, personal oppinions and the few basic facs and your well on the way to writing 20+ pages.

Also, always give an introduction to any period your discussing, Refer to at least 2 artists in the choses period and at least 2 diagrams... colour, layout composition! anything! Deceive the examiner into thinking this kid knows what the hell hes talking about. Confidence is the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

TiM_rEAPeR wrote:
    I find that been decent enough at english really help with history of art,

...unlike posting on boards?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Those are some very good points Tim_rEAPeR.

It sounds mad, but try to think of the stereotypical image of some mad artist with paintbrush in hand nattering on about their passion for somethingororother, and model your writing style on this.
    Artistic flair when writing will be rewarded much more highly than simple statement of facts. That isn't to say you shouldn't be armed with the appropriate facts, but my point is that you can generally waffle your way towards gaining marks even if you're not 100% sure of what you're talking about ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 annettemc

Thanks A Million!!!thank You Thank You Thank You!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 annettemc

OKAY!!!So what topics are most likely to come up???I know this has been asked before but theres no harm right?
    I have done/planning to do:
    Pre-Christian Ireland
    Romanesque and Gothic
    Bits here and there of Renaissance
    Cezanne (someone said he might come up)
    I still have to think about the Appreciation question but I have tomorrow morning. Do I need to do more Irish history eg contemporary artists or would that just be a waste of time considered I still have a loada stuff to learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

lads, lads, lads :rolleyes: 3 simple questions, 3 things to look over: :cool:

1. newgrange
    2. Leonardo di caprio ;)
    3. no study required, happy days :D

god, you guys are actually making art history sound complicated :p

Predicting newgrange eh smemon? I hope you're right!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

deisedolly wrote:
    Predicting newgrange eh smemon? I hope you're right!

your dam right i am deisedolly, wasnt up in 05, 04 or 03 :D
    it was on the pre's though - dunno if that means anything.

gud ole leonardo should be there too in some shape or some, wasnt up last year and he usually is.

dont forget lads and ladettes, we have the sheet with pictures on it so if the worst comes to the worst yee can bluff your way through it referring LOADS to the pictures and giving your take on them.

bottom line - Q3 is your lifesaver, you'll get 40/50 with common sense and 3 A4pages.

Q1 should be newgrange - i think we all know about that - a big old hill with a passage through it surrounded by rocks :)

Q2 ;hit or miss. da vinci should be there, if not gothic & romanesque usually turn up.

don't fret my comrades, this is easier than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Bakharwaldog

It sounds mad, but try to think of the stereotypical image of some mad artist with paintbrush in hand nattering on about their passion for somethingororother, and model your writing style on this.
    Artistic flair when writing will be rewarded much more highly than simple statement of facts. That isn't to say you shouldn't be armed with the appropriate facts, but my point is that you can generally waffle your way towards gaining marks even if you're not 100% sure of what you're talking about ;)

Nice one, i actually think this might work....:)
    so simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Zeuz

smemon wrote:
    1. newgrange
    2. Leonardo di caprio ;)
    3. no study required, happy days :D

I would Say

1 - Newgrange
    2 - Giotto

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

K.. >_> so I think I'll just do Newgrange, Impressionists / Favism and the gallery.

I answered all these questions in my mocks and got a B1.. o_____O' I swear my teacher is too nice with marks or something.

c_k_m wrote:
    Nice one, i actually think this might work....:)
    so simple
    Disclaimer: I hereby renounce all responsibility if you don't waffle properly and subsequently get a bad result :p

• Advertisement

Tomorow I'm studying

Newgrange
    Da Vinci/ Massaccio
    Romanesque and Gothic
    Gallery question

I'm definitely going to fail this paper tomorow but will pass the subject as a whole.

Advertisement