Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD/DVD recorder with HDMI ?

• 23-05-2006 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

:confused:

Any suggestions folks or recommendations ?

I am looking to get a DVD recorder with a harddrive of either 160 or 250gb. Ideally record to HDD and both R+ and R- DVDs.

Would like HDMI and, if possible USB / networking if at all possible. Have had a look at the Kiss range but no HDMI and the firmware has a very bad rep.

Nearly forgot, Divx as well.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

When you say HDMI I guess you're implying HD (720p or 1080i) of some sort ...

Firstly because of HDCP it remains to be seen if anyone will be allowed make a recorder that can 'record' it. Given the whole point of HDCP is to stop anyone recording the digital stream it seems unlikely.

Secondly there is nothing at a consumer price point that can encode a HD stream in real time. 720p/1080i HDMI is Gbits/sec, so storing the raw stream is not really an option either.
    (Unless you mean just HDMI out!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

So let me get this straight ...

- You saying we are not allowed to record an HD program off sky ?
    - Even if we could we couldn't given hardware restraints to copy an HD program ?

So basically we can ONLY view a HD program live else not ?
    This kinda harks back to the prehistoric pre-vcr days does it not ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

chopster wrote:
    So let me get this straight ...

- You saying we are not allowed to record an HD program off sky ?
    - Even if we could we couldn't given hardware restraints to copy an HD program ?

So basically we can ONLY view a HD program live else not ?
    This kinda harks back to the prehistoric pre-vcr days does it not ?

Pretty much yes, HDCP makes copying impossible, and even if you could the HDMI stream is huge. The only stuff that can actually compress it in realtime at the moment is very expensive kit at TV studios.

The only real recording option is to record the h.264 stream. This is very possible and within the year there will be HD FTA sat recorders available. These will work for BBC HD, but again Sky have their streams encrypted and insist you buy a solution like Sky+ if you want to record digitally.

Advertisement