Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky customer service

Options
  • 23-05-2006 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

This may be more suited to the Satellite forum, but I thought I might see if anyone else has had as bad an experience as we are currently having with Sky. Sorry for the length of this post!

Incidentally, I see in the news today that they are having problems with their launch of the HD TV service.

Our dish got struck by lightning on 12 May and the Sky+ box is now kaputt. The old box we had for multiroom is not receiving any signal.

So we booked an engineer to come last Friday. He calls at 9am to say he has the wrong boxes with him, just normal digiboxes, not Sky+ ones and that he cannot come.

Despite my requests to leave one with us so we have some kind of a service, he says we have to rebook for Monday (yesterday) to look at the normal digibox.

Monday goes by with no call before 9am. We could not get through to Sky customer services, despite several attempts and waiting for 15 - 20 mins each time.

We also had a booking for today for an engineer to look at the Sky+ box. Engineer turns up - late, I might add - has no Sky+ boxes with him.

Looks at the normal digibox and concludes the problem must be the phone line being connected, connects it. We get it working temporarily, and thought we had it fixed, so would have at least one working sky box in the house.

Shortly after the engineer left, the normal box reverted back to receiving no signal.

Eventually get through to customer services again, after being given an incorrect number to call by an Indian guy.

Now there is a problem with needing a password for the account, and I am told an engineer should not have come out without this being set up.

Now I have to get another family member in whose name the account is registered - and who is away on holiday at the moment -to call Sky to set up a password.

Then I might be able to get through to customer services to book an engineer - probably not til next week now - to come out - hopefully with the correct boxes this time - and sort it out.

Until then, we only have RTE 1 and RTE 2 to watch, and have had these two channels since 12 May!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sorry to hear your having so much trouble with Sky. I have been using Sky for the last 5 years or so (except for a 6 month spell with NTL). I've contacted them on several occassions, including when I moved house and I have to say I find them most efficient. They always call/ring as promised. I know a few other people with Sky and they too are impressed with the customer service. I used NTL for a while and tbh they are rubbish at customer service.

Do they have any department where you can relate to them the poor service your currently receiving?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i vote you cancel your direct debit until they fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

jrey1981 wrote:
    This may be more suited to the Satellite forum, but I thought I might see if anyone else has had as bad an experience as we are currently having with Sky. Sorry for the length of this post!

Incidentally, I see in the news today that they are having problems with their launch of the HD TV service.

Our dish got struck by lightning on 12 May and the Sky+ box is now kaputt. The old box we had for multiroom is not receiving any signal.

So we booked an engineer to come last Friday. He calls at 9am to say he has the wrong boxes with him, just normal digiboxes, not Sky+ ones and that he cannot come.

Despite my requests to leave one with us so we have some kind of a service, he says we have to rebook for Monday (yesterday) to look at the normal digibox.

Monday goes by with no call before 9am. We could not get through to Sky customer services, despite several attempts and waiting for 15 - 20 mins each time.

We also had a booking for today for an engineer to look at the Sky+ box. Engineer turns up - late, I might add - has no Sky+ boxes with him.

Looks at the normal digibox and concludes the problem must be the phone line being connected, connects it. We get it working temporarily, and thought we had it fixed, so would have at least one working sky box in the house.

Shortly after the engineer left, the normal box reverted back to receiving no signal.

Eventually get through to customer services again, after being given an incorrect number to call by an Indian guy.

Now there is a problem with needing a password for the account, and I am told an engineer should not have come out without this being set up.

Now I have to get another family member in whose name the account is registered - and who is away on holiday at the moment -to call Sky to set up a password.

Then I might be able to get through to customer services to book an engineer - probably not til next week now - to come out - hopefully with the correct boxes this time - and sort it out.

Until then, we only have RTE 1 and RTE 2 to watch, and have had these two channels since 12 May!

I had the exact same issue around christmas time, We had 4 site visits, each time the engineer blamed something/someone else. Rang Sky god knows how mnay times, Got the same spiel about the account holder. Had to get my 70 year old, somewhat deaf, father on the phone.......just to say his name, even though its my sister who is the actual bill payer ( Its my dads name on the A/C)
    I recommend you keep records of all service calls that were cocked up, ring again and explain that the account holder is away and that you want service restored.
    Sky should refund you for the incomplete/missed service calls.Also you should get credit for the time you have been without service.
    Dont give up basically, ask to speak to a manager, get names ( surnames can be difficult to get).
    I know its a chore, but just keep trying.

Chef

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭podgewalsh

I had a similar prob a few months ago when lightening struck my dish , what actually happened was that the LMB on the dish was Donald Ducked. I rang sky and they told me that I would have to get an engineer around . I discovered that the LMB was goosed by chance when I spotted a Sky engineer and I told him exactly what had happened , he sold me a new LMB for 30 yoyos and I installed it and all worked fine.
    Do you get any power out of your sky+ box ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

podgewalsh wrote:
    I had a similar prob a few months ago when lightening struck my dish , what actually happened was that the LMB on the dish was Donald Ducked. I rang sky and they told me that I would have to get an engineer around . I discovered that the LMB was goosed by chance when I spotted a Sky engineer and I told him exactly what had happened , he sold me a new LMB for 30 yoyos and I installed it and all worked fine.

Hmmm so even though sky should have replaced the equipment you still forked out your own money to fix it even though sky would have done it for nothing?
    Hmm ok

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote:
    Hmmm so even though sky should have replaced the equipment you still forked out your own money to fix it even though sky would have done it for nothing?
    Hmm ok

Hmmmm me arse !

Sky were not going to pay the dish was two years old and out of warranty ! My point was going through Sky would have cost me at leaset a tonne by using one of their engineers when I was able to fix the problem by installing an LMB myself.....do you understand my point ?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I rang Sky yesterday morning and talked to a very nice girl who explained all about Sky+ multi room to me (Im thinking about getting it installed). Told her I needed a bit of time to decide.

After explaining how long I spent trying to get trough to them she very politely said that she would call me instead. She was to call between 2:30 and 3:00 yesterday afternoon but I have not heard a cheep since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

podgewalsh wrote:

I will bear that in mind. However we did a test with the normal box yesterday and the LNB was powering up ok and we had reception very briefly until the signal was lost again.

So I am guessing it is not the LNB.

The Sky+ box just has the red power light on, but it doesnt go to green when we try to power it up.

My Mum called them and arranged a password and for an engineer to come out Friday. Will probably call Sky tomorrow to remind them to bring either 2 Sky+ boxes or a normal box and a Sky+ box.

Am going to push for a refund of any charges and for the days we have been without Sky (it will be 2 weeks on Friday so we should get about 30 euros or something refunded)

Will see how it goes on Friday

that was what my sky box was like , if your still in warranty get them to fix it for ya dont pay for anything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Engineer came today and was keen to help as much as possible. We have a new Sky+ box and he looked at the normal box as well.

He advised us to call Sky and see if we can get a good deal on another Sky+ box to replace it, or else said he can sell us a new normal box for less than Sky will charge for one.

Very helpful and glad to have all the Sky channels again!

Update - now the Sky+ box aint recording properly!

ANGER...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I ordered SKY back in Dec a mth in advance of me needing it and the engineer never turned up on the install date and I then spent an hour on the fone to their "customer service" as well as spending €20 on my mobile bill. Top cut a long story short the excuse they used was the engineer tried to make contact with me and couldnt, which was total BS. They then said it was too late for him to come (2pm, WTF?) so they asked could they rearrange! I had taken the day off work so needless to say I wasnt happy at this stage. They then decided they wouldnt install me as I hadnt got my fone line, now for anybody who has SKY knows you DON'T need a fone line ! Crap service, crap attitude, no thanks. As much as I didnt want to I cancelled my order and went elsewhere. Great product but their cust svs is dreadful IMO.

Advertisement