Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics!

• 23-05-2006 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

I hear that Mr Archimedes and Circular Motion will come up this year. What's the goss on Physics?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

nedward wrote:
    I hear that Mr Archimedes and Circular Motion will come up this year.

It better not, I hate circular motion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

OctavarIan wrote:
    It better not, I hate circular motion!

ugh same here, i havent done magnetism so i have an awful feeling i'll be short of questions unless i do it :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

doesnt circular motion come up like every year?
    anyway all i know is that im avoiding mechanics like the plague

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

I've everything done bar magnetism and applied electricity. I should still have options on the paper. What is tipped this year is hookes law for question six. Always know were you heard this but F=ma experiment is going to be up along with harmonics in pips and stationary waves. Always beware of calibration curve of a thermometer and calculating the speed of sound in air using the resonace tube!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

NADA wrote:
    I've everything done bar magnetism and applied electricity. I should still have options on the paper. What is tipped this year is hookes law for question six. Always know were you heard this but F=ma experiment is going to be up along with harmonics in pips and stationary waves. Always beware of calibration curve of a thermometer and calculating the speed of sound in air using the resonace tube!

nnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrddddd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭whassupp

Whats archmedes???
    I everythin else covered but still do ****e on past paPERS

NADA wrote:

exactly what i've heard tipped...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

yeah our teacher tipped circular motion/hookes law stuff aswell for Q6..

i HATE it, its the only mechaniccs question that im really truly screwed for. the others, im only partially screwed for..

hhmmm

its in the maths tables...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Aye, I noticed that a few weeks ago, couldn't believe it!

• Advertisement

Everyone should work with their Maths tables, they have handed any student who uses them marks every year.

The Applied Mathematics section has Units, and equations which you get marks just for writing down in the question!

its in the maths tables...

yeah only a few formulas though?

it gives you:
    Centripetal acceleration: v^2/r=w^2r

From that you can get:

a=v^2/r
    a=w^2r
    F=mv^2/r (F=ma)
    F=m^2r
    v=wr

That's ~half of the formulae you need for circular motion.

aah yeah it never occured to me to rearrange them. hehe.. (im a girl.. leave me alone :D )

Ok Physicians.. tá ceist agam.

In the experiment to plot the calibration curve of a thermometre, a 9 mark question is

"what steps should the student take to calibrate the alcohol thermometre?"

what exactly should i put for that?
    does it just mean about marking the alcohol thermometre in the beaker, and then taking it out and measureing it?

the question beforehand was what measurements should a student record, so i kinda mentioned that there..

Or is it something much more complex..? me no understand :(

also,
    How would an increase in pressure affect the results?

and is the graph for that experiment just a straight line through the origin?

im sorry for all the questions, but i wont be in school til tuesday, and its from the mock paper, and i never listened when she was going through the answers, and i dont have the marking scheme..
    *hangs head*

if anyone can help me, thank you in advance.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Ehhmmm, to calibrate it, could you bring in the mercury thermometer? And compare lengths of columns...or something. Cordelia would know. Higher pressure means higher m.p./b.p. Graph starts at -273 on X-axis, and doesn't pass through the origin. Hang on, it's a mock paper? Not to worry so

nedward wrote:
    Ehhmmm, to calibrate it, could you bring in the mercury thermometer? And compare lengths of columns...or something. Cordelia would know. Higher pressure means higher m.p./b.p. Graph starts at -273 on X-axis, and doesn't pass through the origin. Hang on, it's a mock paper? Not to worry so

You should be careful. People get the wrong impression that if something is on a mock paper it will not be on the real thing. The mocks are printed by companies Independant of the department. They are made by teachers predicting what they think will come up! And I think that although F=ma, the calibration curve of a thermometer, and the speed of sound in air was on my mock that it is very likely to come up in 3 weeks!

Rockerette wrote:
    aah yeah it never occured to me to rearrange them. hehe.. (im a girl.. leave me alone :D )
    Heh, Nae tother. I only copped it a few weeks ago =)

To be honest remembering the formulae for physics has never been a problem for me! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭smiling_time

nedward wrote:
    I hear that Mr Archimedes and Circular Motion will come up this year. What's the goss on Physics?

Every year there are rumours going around about what "is" going to come up in the exams. In my opion these rumours come from unreliable sources where some teachers and alot of students study previous exams and try guess what is due to come up. It is a silly game of russian roulette. If students were to spend as much time studying the content of the subjects rather that the chances of a topic coming up then it would be time well spent rather than squandered.

My advice. keep the head down, cover all the syllabus and practise exam questions. It is NOT impossible to do all the syllabus (thousands of students do it every year)

Best of luck and may your hard work pay off!

well with the Section A experiments, i agree with NADA there, i got the same mock as him i think, and those experiments have never come up before, so im expecting some new ones to come up definitely..
    theres 5 mandatory experiments that have never come up yet i think

i dont see anything wrong with not learning every single thing on the syllabus, especially for physics. theres a pretty good range of options, even if you leave out 1 topic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭smiling_time

yes there are some items you can leave out due to options but i was referring to the practice of leaving out entire sections of core material whilst studying some sections in the hope that they will come up in the exam!

no i dont mean in terms of say, Modern Physics or Applied Electricity, i meant that i wouldnt see a problem if someone decided to leave out say, the entire magnetism section.

in section B, do 5 questions out of 8.

so... my way of thinkin is theres no point 1/2 knowing every section, whereas instead you could concentrate fully on light/sound or something.

if magnetism comes up, thats only 1 question gone, and you still have a choice of 5/7...

you probably disagree with me. and personally im not leaving out anything totally. i have a basic, (if dodgy) understanding up capacitance related stuff.. and magnetism.. if a question came up i could get a few marks, but i know no matter HOW hard i try, it'll never go in fully!
    i tried to learn it for the mocks, but... no joy..

i know the definitions, but pretty much anything else goes right over my head!

smiling_time: damn good advice. Not for everyone, but damn good advice. If you can do everything, do everything. It;s always better to choose your questions on the day than to choose them before you go on.

To be honest I think I know for a fact that f=ma is on the paper. At the revisoion course in leeson street the guy doing mechanics spent ages on it and only a few minutes on the other mechanics one. Would he really wanna chance leeson streets reputation by taking something that is a 1-5 gamble. I reckon he sets the paper!

That's one of the stupidest things I've seen on this board so far. Do you really think the guy who sets the paper would be allowed to teach?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Raphael wrote:
    That's one of the stupidest things I've seen on this board so far. Do you really think the guy who sets the paper would be allowed to teach?

Er, yes. But it's not that simple, I know for maths anyway teachers are invited to submit questions, and they construct 2 or 3 possible papers from these. The chief examiner picks the paper that students will answer, and I'm pretty sure the teachers aren't told. So, your teacher could have 'set' some of the exam - he just wouldn't know it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

pat doyle doesnt set the paper, but he does have some really good guesses. hes been teaching physics since the 70's. he normally is right. i did grinds in the tute last year and im repeating this year there.
    he really does now what hes doing and he wont steer u wrong

Funkstard wrote:
    Er, yes. But it's not that simple, I know for maths anyway teachers are invited to submit questions, and they construct 2 or 3 possible papers from these. The chief examiner picks the paper that students will answer, and I'm pretty sure the teachers aren't told. So, your teacher could have 'set' some of the exam - he just wouldn't know it
    Is that how it works? I would have thought it was just the chief examiner. Still, yy point still stands. If one person was setting the exam then there's no way they'd be allowed to teach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Few days late here, but F=ma isn't the only one I've heard predicted, the simple pendulum leaves them with a broader range of questions to ask, because the experiment is harder/longer/whatever. And don't forget, they do repeat experiments aswell. So go and learn the lot, experiments could give you a decent chance at 30% or close to it, almost without thinking, if you know them well enough. It's worth putting the effort in..

• Advertisement
Advertisement