Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Corrado G60

Options
  • 23-05-2006 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm gonna be selling my beloved dirt bike to buy a corrado G60 but , i've heard the supercharger servicing is an absolute bitch. Does anyone have any idea how much it costs and whats involved?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

The G60 is a fantastic car. I have a 92 G60 and love it. Servicing the supercharger cost's up to 385 sterling with g-werks but you only have to do it every 40,000 miles unless you have a shorter pulley on it, in which case it's every 20,000 miles. The most important thing with the G60 is to change the oil regularly, the charger is lubricated from the oil you engine burns. You'll have to use natural oil too, not syntechic stuff. I recently blew my supercharger :-( but I like the car so much I am gonna fork out e1500 for a new 'charger and get it back on the road (unless I can fix the old one, gonna dismantle it when I get home). The handling is sweet too. the corrado is rare enough and the G60 is ever rarer. For more info check out www.vagdrivers.net , there are a good few corrado owners there and they are all mad about them. The VR6 version is also worth considering, 20bhp more than the G60 but e1000+ raod tax on the 2.9l engine.
    Overtaking in a G60 is an experience not to be missed :-)

Forgot to say, to get it serviced you'll have to remove the supercharger and send it to england. It's a straight forward procedure, a monkey could do it. You'll get loads of advise about it from vagdrivers.net anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

I wouldn't even bother me arse, the supercharger is too small and of limited effectiveness / completely pointless and unreliable, buy the V6 instead or better still, buy a 6-pot 3-series coupe for superior everything and non-golf/polo boy-racing connotations

I wouldn't say it useless, i get 171 bhp on the dyno with only a K&N filter added. No turbo lag either, instant power.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Most people do the pulley mod, so servicing it for 500+ euro every 20k miles sounds like a lot of hassle to me. Turbos can go over 100k miles easily between rebuilds. Better to get a 16v corrado and turbo it, or a vr6, or maybe just drop in an audi 1.8T.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭leon8v

Gerry wrote:
    Better to get a 16v corrado and turbo it, or maybe just drop in an audi 1.8T.

You have clearly never attempted either of the above conversions or you wouldnt be suggesting them over a charger rebuild.
    No need to get charger rebuilt every 20k anyway on most cars. Even with smaller pulley, 40k should suffice, Unless you go for a very small pulley and more than a stage 4 rebuild would servicing intervals come down but if you were doing that you would have also gone for a big valve head, cam, injectors, FPR, FMIC and prob 1.9 bottom end etc etc so charger rebuilds wouldnt bother you as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

528i wrote:
    I wouldn't even bother me arse, the supercharger is too small and of limited effectiveness / completely pointless and unreliable, buy the V6 instead or better still, buy a 6-pot 3-series coupe for superior everything and non-golf/polo boy-racing connotations

you & your funderstanding theories.

original G60 is great machine and comes with working indicators when comparing to 6pot 3 serries driven by playboy wannabees like you:D

The VR6 is awsome alright, definately worth looking at. I had a drive in a 16v and its amazing the difference between it and the G60 as regards the suspension. It has WAY more roll and would defo need upgrading if you tinker with it. FYI the VR6 can also be supercharged :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

leon8v wrote:
    You have clearly never attempted either of the above conversions or you wouldnt be suggesting them over a charger rebuild.
    No need to get charger rebuilt every 20k anyway on most cars. Even with smaller pulley, 40k should suffice, Unless you go for a very small pulley and more than a stage 4 rebuild would servicing intervals come down but if you were doing that you would have also gone for a big valve head, cam, injectors, FPR, FMIC and prob 1.9 bottom end etc etc so charger rebuilds wouldnt bother you as much.

I'd agree that both of those conversions are far more expensive than a charger rebuild, but I do think the results would be better.
    I worked on a conversion for a 2.0l 16v corrado years ago, put a g60 onto it, and it went like stink. I don't think it was ever rebuilt afterwards, but it didn't do high mileage I suppose.
    I suggested a turbo, as they are a common addition to many cars.There are loads and loads of vw's out there with aftermarket turbos, just go and have a look. There are a wide range of turbos available, and as I said, they will easily go over 100k miles without a rebuild. My car has 185k on the original turbo, still does not smoke, in the middle of rebuilding the engine, but the turbo does not need a rebuild. Have also seen a scirocco mk1 with the 1.8t engine put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭leon8v

Gerry wrote:
    I'd agree that both of those conversions are far more expensive than a charger rebuild, but I do think the results would be better.
    I worked on a conversion for a 2.0l 16v corrado years ago, put a g60 onto it, and it went like stink. I don't think it was ever rebuilt afterwards, but it didn't do high mileage I suppose.
    I suggested a turbo, as they are a common addition to many cars.There are loads and loads of vw's out there with aftermarket turbos, just go and have a look. There are a wide range of turbos available, and as I said, they will easily go over 100k miles without a rebuild. My car has 185k on the original turbo, still does not smoke, in the middle of rebuilding the engine, but the turbo does not need a rebuild. Have also seen a scirocco mk1 with the 1.8t engine put in.

Where was this Corrado 2.0 16v G60?? The only 16v G60 Corrado I know of in this country is a green one that was built out near Leixlip and now resides in Galway belonging to a mate of mine.
    Yep turbos are a common addition to many cars alright but an expensive and a awkward conversion to do properly.
    I carried out a turbo conversion on my mk2 Golf gti 8v and my mate has turbo'd his 16v golf gti. I have also put a 1.8T S3 in to a mates 2.0 16v Corrado and believe me I would much rather take a supercharger off every 2 years for a rebuild!!!
    While these turbo conversions and 1.8T conversions make for great cars, a breathed on 8v G60 is well fit to give them a run for their money. I was at GTI international last weekend where my mates MK1 golf with G60 engine ran a 5.16 0-60 and on to a 13.7 standing 1/4 mile. That is a Standard G60 engine tuned to 258bhp. FOr comparision purposes, a standard E39 5.0 M5 takes 5.3 sec 0-60 and 14.10 standing 1/4!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement