Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone know a bit of irish?

Options
  • 23-05-2006 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MrSinn

can anybody tell me what name this is in english please

ni dhubhghaill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

probably dowdall
    maybe dugdale?

Sounds like Dowell or Doughal

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Doyle, in older form spelling, I'm pretty sure. The 'Ni' means it is a female's surname.

Not your ornery onager

MrSinn wrote:
    can anybody tell me what name this is in english please

ni dhubhghaill

Pretty sure it's 'disestablishmentarianism'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MrSinn

Pretty sure it's 'disestablishmentarianism'.
    yea thats the one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

esel wrote:
    Doyle, in older form spelling, I'm pretty sure. The 'Ni' means it is a female's surname.

Ni means daughter. So basically that's her father's name, not her husband's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

The person's name is Ní Dhubhghaill. There's an infinite amount of ways that the name could be anglicised, so it's impossible for us to tell you categorically which one is right, we can only suggest similar sounding names. If you want to know the actual English version she uses, you've got to ask her in person. There might not even be an English version at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Doyle.

Ní Dhubhghaill means it's the surname for a girl.
    Ó Dubhghaill means it's the surname for a fella.

And here's a bit of background info on the name Ó Dubhghaill:

Dubh = Dark (or black)
    Gall = Foreigner

=> Dark Foreigner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

esel wrote:

Yep, It is Doyle. This is my mothers maiden name, and she spelled it like that. As someone pointed out, the Ní means that the person was a woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Pythia wrote:
    Ni means daughter. So basically that's her father's name, not her husband's.

It wasn't suggested that it was her husband's name, 'Uí' is the prefix for a married female's surname .. my sister now has an Irish surname, thanks to her hubby ;)

The pronounciation of the name is actually a bit of a give away - out loud its 'nee - doo áll' or similar ... which is reasonably close to Doyle, if you can manage to follow my pathetic attempts at phonetics. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Hermione* wrote:
    It wasn't suggested that it was her husband's name

Yes I know that. But I was narrowing it down from a previous poster's description it was a 'female' prefix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

I've seen this being asked somewhere else, just can't remember where??? *goes into main forum sees thread under this one*.....oh! I remember now:):)

Advertisement