Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flash dropdown menu or Javascript dropdown menu??

Options
  • 23-05-2006 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

Which one is better and easier to create?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

Javascript!!!

There are plenty out there (Google for it).

I don't think flash should ever be used for things like menus...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Depends what you want to do but I would go for js if picking between the two.

Visually you can achieve much the same effect with both but for speed and handy maintenance I'd go for JS

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Ziycon wrote:
    Which one is better and easier to create?
    That's generally the wrong attitude. Your concern should be use not creation.

JavaScript, or anything else that isn't Flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

This is probably not relevant for the site in question but JavaScript/DHTML drop-downs cause problems from an accessibility/screen-reader point-of-view

Day-job is on public-sector sites so maybe I'm coming from a different perspective...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

pburns wrote:
    This is probably not relevant for the site in question but JavaScript/DHTML drop-downs cause problems from an accessibility/screen-reader point-of-view

Fair point.
    Trying to balance one against the other is far from easy (design / accessibility)
    pburns wrote:
    Day-job is on public-sector sites so maybe I'm coming from a different perspective...

Hopefully not corkcity.ie :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You could have a plain text (1st level) menu, say on the top of the site, and then a full flash menu at the left hand side of your site if you really want to use flash. I'd prefer to use javascript over flash for menus though as you never know what flash version people have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

blacknight wrote:

What an unadulterated mess. Couldn't help but laugh when I saw the Golden Spider award icon on the page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 archibald_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭AngryAnderson

Gordon wrote:
    YI'd prefer to use javascript over flash for menus though as you never know what flash version people have.

Or you could check using this: http://www.bobbyvandersluis.com/ufo/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

blacknight wrote:

Hell no...

I've run into some of those Cork boyos at seminars etc though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

pburns wrote:

Suckerfish dhtml drop-downs are accessible.
    They display simply as a list in the X/HTML.

Does the screen reader try to interpret the Javascript or does it disable it?

The company I work for had a site with DHTML menus tested for accessibilty and it passed fine.

Maybe certain methods of implementation mess it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭AngryAnderson

Serbian wrote:
    What an unadulterated mess. Couldn't help but laugh when I saw the Golden Spider award icon on the page.

...couldn't help but not be the least bit surprised when I saw the Golden Spider icon on the page...

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

pburns wrote:

Very good point. Have a look at www.udm4.com with very good support for accessibility. Best one out there AFAIK but i could be wrong.

Dave

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

as someone said up above why not use CSS i used it for this www.mantrarecords.com/network/

Advertisement