Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog adoption

Options
  • 23-05-2006 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

OK, we'd like to get a dog and would preferably like to rescue one from a pound. Problem is, we work during the day and are gone early doors till 6 in the evening (like most people!) but the question is, will a pound let us take a dog on that basis? We're not so selfish to think this is entirely fair on a dog either but would more than make up the time in the evenings and weekends.

Anybody any advice on this? We havent singled out any type of breed as yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

we work but have 2 dogs for company for each other, and always have done.

also a dog walker that calls some days to take them out in the middle of the day.

some rescues won't rehome to people who work all day some will.

would recommend a phone call to puppy rescue in kilkenny or an email explaining your circumstances, and Brenda should be able to advise you as to suitability of certain dogs etc. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Hi Sizzler,

most pounds I work with don't ask if you work all day. As long as you pay the fee and the dog license you have the pick of the pound dogs. But please take the dog to the vet straight from the pound. I have often had dogs with kennel cough etc arriving from the pound. That's why I quarantine pound dogs before I vacc them and introduce them to the rest of my rescues.

Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Hi Sizzler,

In my personal opinion the question shouldn't be if the pound/rescue will give you the dog, but whether or not it is fair towards the dog to leave it alone all day, every day.

Please allow me to quote myself from the similar thread below:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by UpsideDown
    Hi all.

Are there any types of dogs that would be content roaming around the garden behind locked gates during the day while I am at work.

The quick and simple answer ...

No, there aren't !

And the slightly elongated answer ...

Dogs are social animals, they need contact and interaction. From that point of view it makes feck all difference whether the dog is locked into the kitchen or in the garden for most of the day.

Add to that the fact, that while you're not there, you can't train or correct or supervise your dog ...but it can quite happily "teach" itself all sorts of unwanted behaviour that is very difficult to change during the few "together" hours.

This applies to all dogs regardless of breed, size or type.

Leaving them alone for a few hours is fine ...but all day, every (working) day is just too long

Quote:
    ( i have been putting off getting a dog for the past two years for this reason)

You can tell a real animal lover by the fact that he/she doesn't keep one until the conditions are right.

And to all those, who are going to post in the vain of:

"I have a such-and-such, and he has the big garden to himself all day and he is so happy (with his toys / digging holes / sleeping all day) and he doesn't mind at all ...go ahead, I really recommend getting a such-and-such ..."

Nope ...he isn't happy ...it is just what you've made yourselves believe !
    Getting two looks only "better" at first glance.

We like to believe that two dogs would keep each other company, that they would happily play with each other for half the day and snuggle up to each other for the rest of it ...

Well ...that just *might* happen.

But the far more realistic scenario is, that not before long you will be the proud owner of two bored dogs, locked into a garden without any stimulation or supervision, gauding each other into such *fun* activities like:
    - constant barking
    - annoying the neighbours
    - squabbling over food / toys
    - digging through the fence
    - and other unsavoury activities

...and the end result will be, that they rely on each other for guidance and give you the two fingers (or paws ) when you finally come home and try to teach them manners.

...once again in my OPINION ... pounds / rescues shouldn't give dogs away into such circumstances where the dog is alone all day.

But who can blame them?

There is a neverending supply of dogs needing homes, pounds and rescues are overflowing and so they have no choice really but forget about some of their idealistic ideas and just home that dog and hope for the best.

I have the slight suspicion though, that there is a bit of a viscious circle here.
    Give dog into unsupervised situation, dog becomes bored, dog develops "behavioral issues", dog gets dumped in a different rescue ... only for the cycle to start again.

Now ...which is better for the individual dog and the overall situation of too many dogs...not get one at all, or "adopt" one into solitary confinement and hope for the best??

Wish I knew the answer ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

EGAR wrote:
    Hi Sizzler,

most pounds I work with don't ask if you work all day. As long as you pay the fee and the dog license you have the pick of the pound dogs. But please take the dog to the vet straight from the pound. I have often had dogs with kennel cough etc arriving from the pound. That's why I quarantine pound dogs before I vacc them and introduce them to the rest of my rescues.

Sarah

I dont want to pull the wool over anybodys eyes :)

Just want to do whats right for the dog and also us. Will have a serious think about it. Had considered a cat also as they are that bit more independent but would definitely want to introduce a dog into the home at some stage and dont want any friction so will have to make a careful choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Sizzler wrote:
    I dont want to pull the wool over anybodys eyes :)

I hadn't suggested that you should. Pounds are not rescues. In good rescues you will be quizzed about your work pattern, you will be home checked etc. None of that applies for pounds.

Sarah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

The only way round this is if I go and get 2 dogs and at least they have each other for company during the day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

While 2 dogs will give each other company they can sometimes bring their own sets of problems, 2 dogs still will want the attention of the owner you could have 4 dogs and they would still need the same time given to them. 2 dogs can be more awkward to walk so when you do have time to walk them you might find it takes twice as long.
    Not saying 2 dogs won't work, my two are great company for each other but all they really want is my company at the end of the day, you don't feel as bad leaving two on their own for a few hours but it means twice the work when you get home.
    Just something to think about not saying 2 woudlnt work out but just to be aware of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 sharonlarkin

I think it would be unfair of you to get a dog that's going to be left alone all day. It doesn't matter what breed it is. I understand that both of you have to work, but unless you were going to bring in a dog walker, I don't think you should get one.

But if you are really determined. Get 2.. My sil and her husband works all day and they got 2, they can keep each other company, and at least they could get up to mischief together !!!! pups can be little sh**s sometimes.:o But Please Please, whether you get one or two, get someone to walk them during the day,:)

Advertisement