Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheque Clearance

Options
  • 24-05-2006 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

Is this the right forum?

Yesterday I lodged a cheque in the same bank (but not the same branch) that it came from. How long should I have to wait for it to clear?
    Does the amount being lodged affect this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

depends on the bank ...

they normally say three working days, but most banks will allow the cheque to be cashed within 24 hours, even with cheques that aren't from that bank. Check (no pun intended) with your cash card in the morning and you should be able to take cash out - but default is three working days

the only delay is when the cheque is from a bank that isn't in the central clearance system (i.e. non BOI, AIB, NIB, and the bank that took over the TSB).

An Post takes a phenomenal 10 working days to clear cheques ... public servants!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

24hours?
    Are you sure?

works for me in Ulster Bank ... (even when cashing a cheque that is non-Ulster Bank)

... although three days is the default time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Yeah you were right.
    I'm surprised.
    Thanks.

always glad to be of help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement