Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 5 series - E36

Options
  • 24-05-2006 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

I've been pondering over which barge to get myself over the last while and after thinking along the lines of a big Jap car Accord/Camry/Maxima etc I think I would much prefer to drive a Bmw 5 series. I might have a few more niggles with it but I think the driving pleasure would be worth it.

My budget is small - around 1500euro but might push to 2000 so I'd be looking at something over 10 years old. My options would be a 520 or the 525 tds (not the td as it has nearly 30bhp less than the tds). I'm fairly sure the extra insurance and tax for the diesel would be offset by the extra fuel economy especially the way fuel prices are these days.

Does anyone have any experience with either or both? I've checked the usual reports on carsurvey.org and parkers.co.uk but would like a bit more feedback from Irish drivers if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Hi GB15 and welcome to boards :)

I'd guess the 5-series model you are referring to based on your budget is probably an E34, not an E36 (which is a 3-series). Perhaps you could be a bit more specific and clear up things like: do you live in Ireland (republic), are you buying an Irish reg car, are you going to pay Irish tax and Irish insurance? Cars over here also need an NCT (like MOT) check every two years

My previous car was an E34 530i V8 and I loved it. I suppose BMW core competence territory and all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

Hi unkel,
    Yes its the E34 I'm talking about - my mistake. I'm living in the Republic alright but I would consider going to the UK if I thought it was worth it. I'd love a 530 V8 but I'd say the tax and fuel consumption must be a killer. There must be a great sound off it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

If you're worried about fuel economy don't get the 520!
    I've had an E36 320 and only averaged 28mpg from it (520 being heavier will be worse).
    I now have a 96 525i petrol which is averaging 30mpg! The performance is much better than the 520 and yet the fuel economy is also bettter, little known fact that 6 cylinder engines are more efficient if they are 2.5 litres upwards. Also it doesn't have to be driven as hard to move the barge!
    It's also up for sale. pm for details if interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

From personal experience (I had an E34 520i) I wouldn't touch one - unmerciful heaps of junk. Fuel consumption would probably be the least of your expenses/worries running one of these :eek:
    On the other hand the 6 cyl engines in these sound amazing and they are a lot classier looking car than Accord/Camry/Maxima/etc!
    Best bet for an E34 would be a higher mileage UK one which has done most of its miles on the Motorway....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

the chepest 520 on carzone is €3,250 and thats with 166,000 miles on the clock....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

There's plenty on buyandsell.ie for much cheaper. Theres a few alright ones up North on Autotrader which are cheaper including VRT.

Also if you search carzone for cars under €2000 you'll see a few there. These ones don't come up when you search through the make and model for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I recently parted company with a 93 520i and have no complaints. Fuel consumption was fine for a 2L and it was plenty fast. Not much fun around town, but eats up motorway.

Advertisement