Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the difference?

• 24-05-2006 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

• Rp Server
    • Normal Server
    • RPPVP Server
    • PVP Server

I play on an RP server and just started a char on a PVP server. But what's a Normal server and an RPPVP server and what's the difference between them and a PVP or RP server?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

* Normal Server
    A Normal server means you can only fight other players if your PvP (player vs. player) flag is turned on. This is for players who like the questing part of the game (Carebears;) ), and don't like being ganked repeatedly for about 40 levels.

* PVP Server
    Same as Normal Server, but with Player vs. Player (PvP) combat everywhere outside the starting zones. You can attack anyone in your factions territory and in contested territory. In enemy territory, you need to be attacked before you can fight back.

* Rp Server
    RP means roleplaying, which means that you are, technically, supposed to act and talk like the character you play...i.e pally's all good and noble, locks all twisted and evil (quite often doesnt happen though). You can be yourself in whispers and party chat though, iirc. Also, theres a pretty strict naming policy, not allowing all the variants of Gandalf (Gandallf, Gandalff etc...) and other famous names.

* RPPVP Server
    Basically, the same as the Rp Server, but with PvP combat like the PvP Server

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

OK - that makes sense. An RP server is a Normal server with strict rules about Roleplaying. And an RPPVP server is a PVP server with the same rules.

So which are the most popular kind of servers? PVP seems to be. Must make it a lot harder at low levels.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

ya, PvP servers are the most common, followed by normal servers. on a pvp server, you'll be grand till about level15, then it gets bad for a good while. when i was that level, going through darkshire was a bit of a nightmare at times. and STV was a total nightmare. was still good fun, and i don't think i'd like a normal server.

Advertisement