Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griffin Hawe Ltd, Athy, Co. Kildare

Options
  • 24-05-2006 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here any experience with griffin hawe in athy co kildare i have and im quite unhappy with the way in which i was treated, any other licenced gun dealers in this area would be most appreciated as i dread having to go back there. The man behind the counter was quite a smart arse! I hate being talked down to gets right under my skin!

e.g. €12.50/25 cartridges as opposed to heffernans of kildare town €5/25 cartridges for same box of 36grm,70mm,fives.:eek:

How can the price be so different i dont know how???

As i said the name of any licenced daler in this area would be GREATLY apprecciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Well...

Theres Portlaoise Rod and Gun ..
    It only opens in the evenings but is a lot more friendly , and nobody is going to "Talk down to you"

Good selection of guns to have a look at.

A bit further south ..

Stakelums in Urlingford , again , friendly and a good selection of guns.

Ask for Seán.

Then theres Jim Griffins gunshop outside Tullamore ..
    Best to ring first , good selection of guns and shooting gear...
    Ask for Jim ..

Direectory services will have the numbers , I'm not sure what the policy is on publishing them on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

First off, for the record, I used to work there a good few years ago, but I was a customer there well before and after that.

Customer satisfaction is a very subjective thing, some customers will go away annoyed when others will be happy, and you really can't please everyone. One person will think the salesperson was talking down to them, the other will think they are very helpful and thorough. One person will think you're making fun of them, the other thinks you're great craic.

I always found G/H grand to deal with, and the fact that they are generally very busy would indicate to me that others think the same. I know from experience they make a lot of effort to be competitive on price, so the huge price differential you mention there sounds odd, couple of possible explanations would be:

- pricing mistake - it happens,

alternatively,

the other business isn't a busy firearms dealer, so could have old stock that came in cheaper - some of those hardware shops that sell ammo have a very slow stock turnover.

Anyway, there's probably a record number of gun dealers in operation around the place these days, so get the Golden Pages out and start calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

i noticed there prices were a bit more than where i usually get them but found them to be pretty decent you'll have to haggle with them i was first quoted 450 for a scoped rifle and got him to 380 that was a cz 452 .22wmr with a brushnell scope but found a better deal elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Thanks for the help lads

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

civdef wrote:
    First off, for the record, I used to work there a good few years ago, but I was a customer there well before and after that.

So how much were their cartridges pre decimal?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

We didn't sell cartridges, but a pound of fine powder was 23 shillings. A hundredweight of lead was 2 guineas. Flints were free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

civdef wrote:
    We didn't sell cartridges, but a pound of fine powder was 23 shillings. A hundredweight of lead was 2 guineas. Flints were free.

Ready made flints,
    whatever will they think of next!:p
    I always had to knap my own :D

Verely,I say unto thee good Sir
    thou was a bit steep for fine black powder!

I used to buy it at,
    Ye olde fishing pole and musket shoppe,
    In the next hamlet,
    for no more than 20 shillings a pound!

And the shoppe keep was not a surly knave,
    But a mild mannered and God fearing man.

Dvs.
    :D:D:D

Advertisement