Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

golf or leon??

Options
  • 24-05-2006 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hey guys.

Thinking of buying one of these for my next car

00/99 VW golf 1.4-1.6 trendline/comfortline

00/01/02 Seat leon 1.4-1.6

budget is about 7.5k

Was looking for opinions, i know the golf will hold its value better, but heard the 1.4 can be sluggish.
    anyone have any bad stories?

Also what should i expect as standard in trendline/comfortline specs??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭The_Magoo

I faced the same dilemma as you before Christmas! In the end I bought a 01 Leon, 1.6 Signo, leccy windows, loads a airbags, Full Seat service history, on board computer, rear head rests. Would have liked a Golf, but for my budget they were just to sparce in spec to warrant spending the same money on a car that was 99, compared to a 01. The Leon drives the same as the Golf, handles the same, same gear change, slightly heavier steering, looks better on the outside, relatively rare, far better value for money, slightly cheaper servicing cost. Down sides - Dash isnt as cool as the Golfs, hasnt the same street cred, not that it bothers me, residuals arnt as good, close but not the same. Over all love the car, had 5000 miles trouble free motoring so far, knock on wood and can heartily recommend the Leon! Looks nice in red too!
    PS 1.4 will manage, but only just, its like driving a 1.0 l car!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

paraicr wrote:
    Hey guys.

Thinking of buying one of these for my next car

00/99 VW golf 1.4-1.6 trendline/comfortline

00/01/02 Seat leon 1.4-1.6

budget is about 7.5k

Was looking for opinions, i know the golf will hold its value better, but heard the 1.4 can be sluggish.
    anyone have any bad stories?

Also what should i expect as standard in trendline/comfortline specs??

Thanks in advance

The Golf and the Leon are the same car, they are built on the same platform and use the same engines and gearbox. So performance from the 1.4 litre in both cars will be similar. The Leon is a prettier car imo and represents better value for money.

Personnally I think the Golf while not a bad car is overpriced and hence overrated. Yes the quality of the plastics might be a bit better and the cup holders look a bit classier than the Leon but I wouldn't myself pay anywhere near the premiums being asked for the Golf just to have the badge.

For €7.5k your probably looking at a 1999 Golf whereas that will get you a 00 Leon. Leons are usually better equipped than the Golf of the same year unless you go for a Comfortline.

A Comfortline Golf will have upgraded interior trim, electric windows and mirrors plus front arm rest. The Trendline has rear tinted lights and sporty interior trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'd go for the Leon myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think this comes down to price at the end of the day and how much you want to spend.
    If you want to save some money get a clean leon with FSH and well looked after.If youre concerned about badges and perceived image buy a golf.
    The spec is stingy enough on alot of the golfs- some don't even have pwer windows!!Have a bora myself, was a good bit cheaper than an equivalent golf at the time.Everybody seems to 'want a golf' and this keeps prices artificially high- they have a good resale always though.

Advertisement