Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

forrester/rav4/xtrail/new freelander..

Options
  • 24-05-2006 10:33am
    Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭

opinions wanted but not on the 'best' car but what you think when you see someone driving one. I'm leaning toward the forrester for the engineering and handling but....

forrester
    solid car, driver knows what they want and bought quality.
    bit boring to look at though and very much a 'working car'
    no diesel though

rav4
    a bit low class, especially with old 3 door, 2 wheel drive ones around, new ones look more solid and all 4x4 but chances are the driver is a woman.

xtrail
    looks more solid and workmanlike than rav4 but always remember those ads in all the papers aiming it at shopping expeditions. woman car again?

new freelander.
    bound to look better than all of the above and assuming issues with reliability etc are sorted it should look the most like a proper off roader. respectable choice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

After the utter clusterfúck that was the old freelander, I'd wait a while and see what happens with reliability on the new one.

Forester is probably the best driver's car in this bunch but it is ugly as sin. I have been a passenger in one recently though, and it was very quick and comfortable enough.

Rav4 is definately a woman's car. I don't recall ever seeing one being driven by a man.

X-Trail looks good but I know nothing about it.

I'd suggest reading through everything about each model on parkers.co.uk.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

cheers, have done a lot of research all right and absolutely no doubt that if they all looked the same it would be the forrester. very interested in peoples opinions on them all though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Suppose if the Cops are now using Foresters now they must be up to the job .I believe the subaru 4WD system is permanent and way better than any of the others but then maybe you want the Yummy Mummy looks !

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

daveym wrote:
    opinions wanted but not on the 'best' car but what you think when you see someone driving one

Agree with you daveym on all cars but the Freelander. If I see someone driving it (mostly women too) I just think what an ignorant idiot that must be to buy that utter piece of junk :)

The Subaru is the man's car imho...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

every time a new land rover comes out, it is hailed as the Land Rover that won't give trouble. even the Discovery 3 is giving problems. I can imagine that the new Freelander won't be worrying the Japs either

• Advertisement

cheers lads, it's always good to get the opinions of others on this kind of thing. am always surprised about differences in which cars people think are womans ones or not..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

daveym wrote:
    cheers lads, it's always good to get the opinions of others on this kind of thing. am always surprised about differences in which cars people think are womans ones or not..

With the greatest of respect, why do you care which car has the "best image"? Why not just buy the best car?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

Anan1 wrote:
    With the greatest of respect, why do you care which car has the "best image"? Why not just buy the best car?

Yup exactly. I'd pick a Forrester over everything else on your list, cos I like driving. They're not that ugly in black.

Anan1 wrote:

I didn't say I wasn't going to pick the best car, I was looking for opinions on what people thought of them thats all...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Have you driven all of these, bought car magazines and read reviews, seen what kind of deals are available, or will you buy a car purely on what people from boards perception of you will be if you buy it ?

If its the latter, your car buying criteria leads me to think you(like many others) are buying a car as a fashion accessory and not because you understand anything about motoring.

In that case the Rav 4 probably has an interior that matches your grey shirt and brings out your eyes, you'll get some respect it seems from just about everyone one in Ireland as Toyotas are "great" and you'll feel big and masculine in it coz it's tall. :rolleyes: Edit: Sarcastic eyes added as some people may need sarcasim to be pointed out to them.

Otherwise driving the Scooby will probably prove it to be less compromised than the others on the road.

• Advertisement

RobAMerc wrote:
    Have you driven all of these, bought car magazines and read reviews, seen what kind of deals are available, or will you buy a car purely on what people from boards perception of you will be if you buy it ?

If its the latter, your car buying criteria leads me to think you(like many others) are buying a car as a fashion accessory and not because you understand anything about motoring.

In that case the Rav 4 probably has an interior that matches your grey shirt and brings out your eyes, you'll get some respect it seems from just about everyone one in Ireland as Toyotas are "great" and you'll feel big and masculine in it coz it's tall.

Otherwise driving the Scooby will probably prove it to be less compromised than the others on the road.

of course I won't, lets be honest most of the people on boards are young and haven't a clue. asking for peoples opinions doesn't imply you are going to give much weight to them. your opinion:D for instance appears to be worthless..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭emaherx

RobAMerc wrote:
    In that case the Rav 4 probably has an interior that matches your grey shirt and brings out your eyes, you'll get some respect it seems from just about everyone one in Ireland as Toyotas are "great" and you'll feel big and masculine in it coz it's tall.
    Yes im sure most of the people I see driving Rav 4's do it to look masculine :rolleyes:

I'd say the Forester is by far the best machine, but not if you are looking for an off roader.

X-trail is possibly the best off roader in this bunch, though not exactly a work horse.

What sort of care do you want?
    Well handling 4x4 drivers car, then its the Forester.
    Something for your Mum, then the Rav 4.
    4x4 work horse, then a Defender, a Hilux or a Trooper.
    Something to play with in a field ocassionly, Then consider the X-trail or Freelander.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

daveym wrote:
    of course I won't, lets be honest most of the people on boards are young and haven't a clue. asking for peoples opinions doesn't imply you are going to give much weight to them. your opinion:D for instance appears to be worthless..

Your dead right it is totally worthless, I no nothing about off roaders. (And even less about what will match your eyes):)
    Make the right choice though, not based on public opinion, the county is run like that and look at the fec'in state of it.

drive them all and see which one you like best

then consider the financial implications of heavy depreciating machines like the Freelander and Forrester

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Forrester - enthusiasts' choice. Lower centre of gravity and all that...

X-Trail - a bit yummy-mummy but none of the macho-man/small penis connotations of Patrol, Landcruiser etc.

Rav4 - Gay chariot/girl-about-town

New Freelander - heap of 5hit...

surely an enthusiast would buy an Impreza and not a Forrester?

and how is an X-trail less "gay" than a Rav4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

rav4 is hairdresser gay.
    xtrail is kinda bodybuilder gay.
    Freelanders? Seen a lotta girlies driving these too!
    Never seen anyone but manly men driving foresters.

Oh, the wonders of the interweb. Broad sweeping statements etc.

My impression has always been that Foresters are driven by people who would prefer a car but need 4x4 capability. In other words, people with enough self-confidence not to feel the need to make a statement with their cars. By the way, daveym, will this vehicle actually be taken offroad? If not, do yourself a favour and buy a proper car.

If you want a car with a commanding driving position, have kids with child seats, and don't want to feel like you've completely sold out, what's wrong with buying an SUV?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

daveym wrote:
    opinions wanted but not on the 'best' car but what you think when you see someone driving one. I'm leaning toward the forrester for the engineering and handling but....

forrester
    solid car, driver knows what they want and bought quality.
    bit boring to look at though and very much a 'working car'
    no diesel though

rav4
    a bit low class, especially with old 3 door, 2 wheel drive ones around, new ones look more solid and all 4x4 but chances are the driver is a woman.

xtrail
    looks more solid and workmanlike than rav4 but always remember those ads in all the papers aiming it at shopping expeditions. woman car again?

new freelander.
    bound to look better than all of the above and assuming issues with reliability etc are sorted it should look the most like a proper off roader. respectable choice.
    forrester would be first choice,only thing put me off is high mpg
    second choice would be xtrail

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote:
    My impression has always been that Foresters are driven by people who would prefer a car but need 4x4 capability. In other words, people with enough self-confidence not to feel the need to make a statement with their cars. By the way, daveym, will this vehicle actually be taken offroad? If not, do yourself a favour and buy a proper car.

not too much off roading planned but I spend a fair amount of time in the dublin and wicklow moutains and did struggle a fair few times this winter, the 4x4 capability would be nice to have. The other concern is load space which you can never have enough of in my opinion..

RobAMerc wrote:
    Your dead right it is totally worthless, I no nothing about off roaders. (And even less about what will match your eyes):)
    Make the right choice though, not based on public opinion, the county is run like that and look at the fec'in state of it.

agree with that, what prompted the original post was my surprise at how a guy I work with thought that the Rav4 was a real 'feck off' jeep, a tough guys car if you will. It got me to thinking how much peoples opinions of certain cars are influenced by who they see driving them and what they see them doing and was looking for more opinions do see what was the widely held opinions.

Of course I do know that anyone reading motors has at least a passing interest in cars and tbh am happy to see that no-one has anything particularly bad to say about the forrester apart from the looks and the mpg which is what I have found from other sources too..

daveym wrote:
    not too much off roading planned but I spend a fair amount of time in the dublin and wicklow moutains and did struggle a fair few times this winter, the 4x4 capability would be nice to have. The other concern is load space which you can never have enough of in my opinion..

It sounds to me as though the Forester would be the best car for you so. You're getting most of the advantages of a car, more than enough 4x4 capability, and loads of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Here you go, pics of the new Freelander, the Freelander 2

http://www.channel4.com/4car/news/news-story.jsp?news_id=14584

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I had a Forester. Fantastic machine. Make sure if you're getting it, to get the turbo version.

I was getting about 26mpg from the 2.0T version!

Anan1 wrote:
    It sounds to me as though the Forester would be the best car for you so. You're getting most of the advantages of a car, more than enough 4x4 capability, and loads of space.

I'll second that

One slight problem there:

A Toyota Rav4 2.0 Luna costs € 33,750. a 2.0 Forester costs € 33,595 so they're practically the same price.

BUT..........

The Rav4 has a 450 litre boot, while the Forester has 387 litres,

The Rav4 has 9 airbags as standard, as far as I know, the Forester doesn't have curtain airbags, and definately doesn't have a knee airbag

Rav4 combined fuel consumption is 8.6 litres/100km
    Forester combined fuel consumption is 9.3 litres/100km

They have identical towing capacity.

There are 11 authorised Subaru dealers in Ireland, compared with 62 Toyota dealers, so you won't have to travel as far to service the Rav4.

When you need parts or service, the Rav4 will be cheaper

The Rav4 will be worth more second hand.

colm_mcm wrote:
    A Toyota Rav4 2.0 Luna costs € 33,750. a 2.0 Forester costs € 33,595

The Subaru is a bargain so! I guessed it would have been a lot more expensive. Glad you informed us of that, Colm ;)

It isn't Turbo though, you have to go fot the 2.5 to get a Turbo, and that'll set you back €43,595 for that. and you might as well get a Legacy Outback if you're spending that kind of money

• Advertisement
Advertisement