Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eat puppy, Eat!

Options
  • 24-05-2006 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

I have a 7 week old retriever and a 10 year old retriever. The pup is so excited all the time that when I try to feed her, she eats a tiny bit then legs it around you in circles (maggie simpson style). I have the older dog in the house at this stage to keep her away from the food (and so she doesnt see the pup getting attention) and I keep lifting the pup over to the bowl but the same thing happens. Im not feeding her much, about a handful of royal canine puppy food three times a day soaked in warm water for about 10 mins.

Anyway Im worried she may not be eating enough (although in great form). Am I being silly or should I be feeding her more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

How come she is 7 weeks old? Puppies shouldn't be taken until at least 8 weeks old that way they are fully weaned but anyway pups that age get excited about everything, if she's eating the amount for her weight and gaining weight nicely I wouldn't worry to much about her. She might not be fully weaned just a guess though mabey someone else has another idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

How come she is 7 weeks old? Puppies shouldn't be taken until at least 8 weeks old that way they are fully weaned but anyway pups that age get excited about everything, if she's eating the amount for her weight and gaining weight nicely I wouldn't worry to much about her. She might not be fully weaned just a guess though mabey someone else has another idea.

They said the vet told them they were ready to go, all very strong etc. She does seem very strong, its just been so long since I have had pups around that I am a bit over worried I think. How can I measure how much to feed?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

We had a pup just like that she would never eat and was always running around the place. She is a year and a half now and is still the same.

You pup will eat when its hungry this is something we learnt the hardway. I remember sitting on the floor nearly crying cause our pup wouldn't eat. She is on the go constant. We find even now her weight can drop and then she will put it back on.

I would get her for the time being a high protein diet so that she is getting enough when she does eat. Have you tried soaking the RC food to softie it a little for the pup that might help.

If all else fails and you are worried about the pup some boiled chicken always did the trick with our pup.

I would also make sure that the pup has been wormed proberly etc. and treated for fleas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Irish-Lass wrote:
    We had a pup just like that she would never eat and was always running around the place. She is a year and a half now and is still the same.

You pup will eat when its hungry this is something we learnt the hardway. I remember sitting on the floor nearly crying cause our pup wouldn't eat. She is on the go constant. We find even now her weight can drop and then she will put it back on.

I would get her for the time being a high protein diet so that she is getting enough when she does eat. Have you tried soaking the RC food to softie it a little for the pup that might help.

If all else fails and you are worried about the pup some boiled chicken always did the trick with our pup.

I would also make sure that the pup has been wormed proberly etc. and treated for fleas.

Ta, yeah they have wormed her alright, her next course is due in a week. Fleas, I never thought of, she is scratching her collar but I think thats just because its annoying her. I will give her a flea bath this weekend.

I soak the feed in warm water which makes it mushy but she still runs off after two bites. Then the older dog comes out and eats it, its like a bonus for her!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

then what your best off doing is offering her the food if she doesn't want it take it away and offer it to her again in an hour

• Advertisement
Advertisement