Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are United a Team in decline

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Are you serious, you seem like a fairly intelligent lad, surely liverpool playing 10% or so more games than the team that they came one point behind in the league would have an impact on them. Gerrard was rested as he had played alot of games last season, he was taken off in the second half of the birmingham game to be rested and we conceded a goal against a ten man birmingham with a couple of mins to go. Resting him in that game alone, where we lost two points to a ten man birmingham would have made a difference.

That is just one occasion where the number of games and travelling around the world had an effect on the team. (and if you are gonna come back with "well united did it", when united competed in the world club championship they pulled out of the fa cup because they would not have been able to play the number of games that an extra competition required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

So what was your excuse the season before last...and the one before that...what will it be next year?

Come on lads. United have played crazy amounts of games in recent years and it had as much affect on them as it does on any other team. Personally, I don't think it's a feasable excuse, but hey, that's just me.

I think Liverpool had a succesful season last year, definitely more so than Man Utd but I think it was early season defeats to the likes of Fulham and Charlton and draws to teams like Boro and Birmingham that cost Liverpool in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

when united competed in the world club championship they pulled out of the fa cup because they would not have been able to play the number of games that an extra competition required.

Just an aside, that's not true.
    United wanted to compete in both, but the FA wouldn't let them.
    Then the FA forced them to compete in the world club championships, as they thought it would help the world cup bid.

More games = more tiredness = worse preformance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

PHB wrote:

More games = more tiredness = worse preformance.

or More games = more match fit = better performance;)

Either way its only six games over 10 months, its not like thay had a fixture pile up in the closing weeks of the premiership. It's a squad game and to cite one palyer getting tired and having to be substituted in a game as reason for dropping points is laughable expecially for a big club like liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

its not like thay had a fixture pile up in the closing weeks of the premiership

Nope, they had it in March, when we had 3 games and they had 7 games. That said, they didn't lose their points then.

Ultimately the season was the season, liverpool were a point behind United, and once the summer signings are done, we can guess about next year, until then, let's just look at the world cup instead of this pointless thread, because whatever you say, I will say, well if we had a midfield, and we won't know if we'll have a midfield until the start of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

delayed reply from me, yeah i remember reading on sky news that ferguson had two midfielders he wanted that were in the cl 1/.4, and they had both expressed their interest to him.

One i flet was Ballack but then chelsea came in with the dominating money etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

To say United are in decline indicates present tense, which I don't think is correct. They are not getting any worse.

But they are a far cry from the team they were six years ago.

Advertisement