Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please give advice

Options
  • 24-05-2006 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I got a new phone last thursday and this morning the screen is damaged, there are lines going through it as if the lcd is broken. What can I do in this situation? I didnt drop the phone or break it, but I showed it to people in work and looking at the screen they asked me if I broke it, there are no marks on the phone whatsoever.

The phone cost over 500 euros and I have it 5 days, can anyone give me some advice on what I can do? I have emailed expansys and Im waiting for them to reply.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

tw0nk wrote:
    Hi all,

I got a new phone last thursday and this morning the screen is damaged, there are lines going through it as if the lcd is broken. What can I do in this situation? I didnt drop the phone or break it, but I showed it to people in work and looking at the screen they asked me if I broke it, there are no marks on the phone whatsoever.

The phone cost over 500 euros and I have it 5 days, can anyone give me some advice on what I can do? I have emailed expansys and Im waiting for them to reply.

Thanks in advance.

are you sure you didn't drop it...

try the shop , I don't know how much luck you will have , they might just say your dropped it and send you on your way...

very hard to prove either way....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

jhegarty wrote:
    are you sure you didn't drop it...

try the shop , I don't know how much luck you will have , they might just say your dropped it and send you on your way...

very hard to prove either way....

Yes Im 100% sure I didnt drop it or break it, so I have no consumer rights on this? its just down to whether the shop believes me or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 oane

of course you have rights..... go to the shop bring your reciepts and demand a replacement there are no marks on it and from experience dropping a phone wouldnt cause that type of damage... you would have had to really hammer it off something and no-one in there right minfd would throw a 5day old 500 euro phone against a wall ..... put your foot down and demand a replacment and if that fails cause a controlled scene (raise your voice ver so slightly and make sure others hear of the faulty new phone you just purchased)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Thanks oane, but the problem is that its an online store, they havent responded yet so I dont know what their procedure is, hopefully they will just replace the damn thing, although if they offer me a different phone in exchange i might take it as Im really disappointed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

photograph it and e-mail them photos and be stern with it especially with 500 yoyos. For customer relations, they should see after you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

If you dont hear anything tomorrow call them.

You have a 14 day cooling off period in which you can demand a refund or replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Its still under manufacturers warranty for a year (I think) and you only have it a few days. Bring the receipt in, surely a faulty phone. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Haven't you looked at the terms on the expansys website?

Under Terms:
    1.4 Claims for damage, delivery discrepancy etc. should be made within 48 hours of delivery - claims will not be accepted after this time. Please sign the consignment document 'UNCHECKED', as we cannot otherwise accept any claims for damage in transit.

but then:

2.1 If your goods arrive faulty or damaged, or a fault becomes apparent in the first 21 days after delivery, we will either provide a full refund or dispatch new goods as soon as possible after the faulty goods have been returned.

also:

2.3 If any returned goods are not faulty and the goods contain software that has been opened a 25% fee will apply to compensate us for the loss of value in the goods that you have returned. A set fee of £40 is applicable on mobile devices that are supplied with a contract (instead of the 25%) to compensate us for our loss.

2.4 Mobile devices with contracts that need to be cancelled are required to be returned to us within 14 days of connection - click here for more information.

Under Customer Care:
    Returning faulty or damaged goods
    If your goods arrive faulty or develop a fault within the first 21 days, you can return them to eXpansys for repair or replacement.

Please contact the sales team on 0161 868 0868 or e-mail rmarequest@expansys.com to authorise the return of goods.

Please send your returns in by post only once you have received an RMA confirmation from eXpansys - please note that neither the collections address nor the warehouse address has a returns desk facility and goods will be rejected by hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The bottom line is whether or not a broken screen comes under the warranty. Let's be honest, if you were working in a shop and someone came into you you'd sent them away ....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

In this case what I'd say they'll do is send it to an engineer. They'll be able to determine whether the damage caused was caused by a fault or not.
    You might have to do without the phone for a few weeks.
    Whatever the engineer says will go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

tw0nk wrote:
    Yes Im 100% sure I didnt drop it or break it, so I have no consumer rights on this? its just down to whether the shop believes me or not?

In fairness the displays on phones are quite delicate, I've seen people break a screen by sitting on it when it is in a back pocket. What are the lines like, can you post a picture here.

From what you've said I wouldn't say its a fault with the phone it sounds like user damage and unfortuantely however unintentional it may have been it's not a fault with the handset.

It's an unfortunate situation but sounds like you are stuck with it.
    oane wrote:
    go to the shop bring your reciepts and demand a replacement there are no marks on it and from experience dropping a phone wouldnt cause that type of damage... you would have had to really hammer it off something and no-one in there right minfd would throw a 5day old 500 euro phone against a wall
    The point is he dosen't have a case if it's not a fault on the phone, again how anythign falls determines where the energy (from the fall) will go, if the unit fall on say its front then there is a large surface area for the energy to disperse through, whereas if it fell on the corner the force of the sall would be much more concentrated, if this the spread to the display, it may well crack the display.

The analegy I use with customers is; if you bought a car and then crashed it into a wall, would you bring it back to the garage?

Advertisement