Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will pointed domain cause search engine issues?

Options
  • 24-05-2006 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I am setting up a site which will have two domains pointed to it. Will this cause problems when search engines are ranking the site?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It depends what you do with the domain. If you simply point the second domain as an alias and don't actively promote it you will be fine. If, however, you promote the second domain to the search engines you could easily end up being penalised for duplicate content

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Hey,

I am setting up a site which will have two domains pointed to it. Will this cause problems when search engines are ranking the site?

Thanks

The best thing to do in this situation is to choose which of the two domains is the primary domain and use a 301 redirect to point the secondary domain at the primary one. Like Blacknight says, you could be done for duplicate content and get banned from Google or other search engines if you don't.

I found this guide on doing 301 redirects for Unix servers, but there are lots of ways of doing it (including through most scripting languages). Google should provide the answers you need.

Advertisement