Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance for young males

Options
  • 24-05-2006 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I’m a young person on a provisional licence (my second) and looking for insurance, never been insured before. 23, and I’ve got a starlet.
    Who will insure me and what can I expect to pay?
    I know of FBD and Quinn Direct but who else should I be looking at to get quotes from?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Hibernian and Axa.

Hibernian may request you do the ignition test first. and axa might ask that you install their GPS speedo device thingum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Are insurance companies allowed to descriminate against someone on the grounds of sex alone, or could they for example refuse to provide insurance on the basis of race ?

In Australia 3rd party insurance was included in your car tax (rego) so everyone paid the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They're allowed to discriminate on gender (bastards) but not race or religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

tesco as well, but i think they require you to do ignition as well.

quinn are apparently the best for young males

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

I’m a young person on a provisional licence (my second) and looking for insurance, never been insured before. 23, and I’ve got a starlet.
    I know of FBD and Quinn Direct but who else should I be looking at to get quotes from?

went through this bout 2 months ago.
    called every number in the yellow pages
    some wont quote
    others very high

ended up with quoteline (AXA Broker)€1700
    1990 starlet 1l
    3rd provisional
    no previous experience dirinving

I have the ignition test on saturday. if i pass onedirect quoted me 1200 for 2000 fiat bravo 1.2. will be cancelling the quoteline policy think all i will loose is 2 months NCB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

thats rediculous, thats how much i pay as a named driver, with full license. i will have a word with my insurers

thats rediculous, thats how much i pay as a named driver, with full license. i will have a word with my insurers

Have you or anybody on the policy had a claim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

JoeySully wrote:
    went through this bout 2 months ago.
    called every number in the yellow pages
    some wont quote
    others very high

ended up with quoteline (AXA Broker)€1700
    1990 starlet 1l
    3rd provisional
    no previous experience dirinving

I have the ignition test on saturday. if i pass onedirect quoted me 1200 for 2000 fiat bravo 1.2. will be cancelling the quoteline policy think all i will loose is 2 months NCB

I hope you don't mind me asking but how did you get a third provisional if you don't have any driving experience? I thought one had to provide evidence of undergoing a test before getting a third provisional.

dfgdstdfyuhrt
    First post ?
    how the hell are you goin to remember that username
    looks klike you just sat on the keyboard

sorry to take from the discussion at hand

got my firs provisional at 17
    got my second at 19
    Never drove a car
    went ot get new licence and was told that i needed proof of apllication for driving licence to get 3rd licence. applied for test online, brought confirmation numbers to tax office got me licence
    I would reccommend everybody to get a licence aas soon as they turn 17 even if they dont ingtend to drive. it will save them money as i hold a licence now for 5/6 years even though i never drove it saves on insurance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

JoeySully wrote:
    got my second at 19
    Never drove a car
    went ot get new licence and was told that i needed proof of apllication for driving licence to get 3rd licence. applied for test online, brought confirmation numbers to tax office got me licence
    I would reccommend everybody to get a licence aas soon as they turn 17 even if they dont ingtend to drive. it will save them money as i hold a licence now for 5/6 years even though i never drove it saves on insurance

Understood old boy.

One disadvantage of your recommendation is that if you do not utilise the second provisional licence, you don't get the opportunity to legally drive unaccompanied and are compelled to be accompanied by an appropriate full licence holder for the third and any subsequent provisional licence. But that's another story!

Litcagral wrote:
    Understood old boy.

compelled to be accompanied by an appropriate full licence holder for the third and any subsequent provisional licence. But that's another story!

what is the story with this. Is it actually inforced. I know the insurance has to cover you. has anybody actually been charged by the guards for this?
    should i start a new thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

what is the story with this. Is it actually inforced. I know the insurance has to cover you. has anybody actually been charged by the guards for this?
    should i start a new thread?

lets not start another thread on this!!!! There are plenty ever week already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

got my second at 19
    Never drove a car
    How does having a provisional licence for 5years help lower your insurance? Its the 5yrs NCB that lowers it not just having a licence for 5years or however long with no driving experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mod_Man

Quinn Direct tend to be the best for young male drivers. Try insure.ie or 123.ie Check out www.mijag.com (Motor Insurance Justice Action Group) for more info. Also add any female as a name driver to your policy, this will give a good reduction on quotes.( Around 15 - 20%)

Nuttzy wrote:
    How does having a provisional licence for 5years help lower your insurance? Its the 5yrs NCB that lowers it not just having a licence for 5years or however long with no driving experience.

AS far as i know it does count. if i had only my first provisional then the inssurance would have been higher. having previous experience would just decrease my premium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

There's a much easier option to all this 3rd provisional licence crap, it's called 'do a bloody driving test'. You're not being asked to fly a Boeing 747 to Sydney. It's a car, for 20 minutes, in or around 50 km/hr.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

im happy with my insuarance, 3 years no claims bonus with hibernian , policy on my name.1750 on a vw golf 1.4.fully comp

was cheaper last year but i upgraded from 1.0 to 1.4

now got qupted 2500 for insurnace on a brnad spanking new GTI. so here i come:D

Do you have any penalty points?

That GTI quote ain't too bad taking your NCB into account.

I'm heading for 6 years NCB and my GTI policy is 1,900 with 4 points.

Big Balls wrote:
    Do you have any penalty points?

That GTI quote ain't too bad taking your NCB into account.

I'm heading for 6 years NCB and my GTI policy is 1,900 with 4 points.

yes i have 4 points.your quote is good.but i would think i can find cheaper once the day comes.

• Advertisement

I doubt you will in fairness.

I've more NCB than you, a full licence longer and I'm older.. and believe me, I shopped around.

Big Balls wrote:
    I doubt you will in fairness.

I've more NCB than you, a full licence longer and I'm older.. and believe me, I shopped around.

alright, still 1900 for you is good.is that fully comp.

Jesus yeh, you'd be mad to have a car like that insured TPFT.

Big Balls wrote:
    Jesus yeh, you'd be mad to have a car like that insured TPFT.

:D , also insurance only makes a difference upto 4 points.after 4 points it remains the same.thats what hibernian say.

Advertisement