Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Search Engines - Pay for higher placement?

Options
  • 24-05-2006 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I currently have five or six web sites that I want to submit to serach engines. One client is prepared to pay for the service to gain maximum coverage.

I understand I can manually enter site details to google, yahoo etc for free. But are there services out there (that are reasonably priced and WORK) to gain higher placement in web searches?

My client has seen one for £150 - seems very steep to me!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

I would'nt trust any of the sites you see "promising you high search engine rankings". If you have a bit of cash to spend on it, something like Google Adwords would be the way to go. It is run on a cost per click basis and if your willing to spend the cash on it you can get very good results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I would trust any of the sites you see "promising you high search engine rankings".
    i hope thats a typo...or sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

i hope thats a typo...or sarcasm

lol, just saw it before you said that. its changed now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

I would'nt trust any of the sites you see "promising you high search engine rankings". If you have a bit of cash to spend on it, something like Google Adwords would be the way to go. It is run on a cost per click basis and if your willing to spend the cash on it you can get very good results.

I'll look into it - cheers for the input mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Don't go near google AdWords unless absolutely necessary! - as soon as you tell them your name, they'll deliberately supress you until you hand over the cash!

My advice is: contact someone who's the web administrator of a university club or sports club website (e.g. tcd, ucd, dit, ul, dcu, nuig, etc.) and get them to put up an invisible link to your website (1px x 1px). I know a chap in Trinity who does this for me for a few pints.

I've done this for numerous sites that I've built and you'll see high rankings within days as googlebot trawls universities several times a day and believes everything that's on them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Cantab. wrote:
    Don't go near google AdWords unless absolutely necessary! - as soon as you tell them your name, they'll deliberately supress you until you hand over the cash!

My advice is: contact someone who's the web administrator of a university club or sports club website (e.g. tcd, ucd, dit, ul, dcu, nuig, etc.) and get them to put up an invisible link to your website (1px x 1px). I know a chap in Trinity who does this for me for a few pints.

I've done this for numerous sites that I've built and you'll see high rankings within days as googlebot trawls universities several times a day and believes everything that's on them!

Your from the dark side of SEO I see!

There is no easy way to get high rankings quickly.
    The best way to get high rankings is to have good content that people want to link to and a site people want to come back to.

Submit your site to directorys such as
    http://www.browse.ie/
    http://dmoz.org/add.html - which feeds most of the big directorys (Google, Yahoo)
    http://dir.yahoo.com/
    http://www.google.com/dirhp

Most rankings are gained overtime. See http://www.webpronews.com/ebusiness/sitepromotion/wpn-3-20040826WhatisTheGoogleSandboxEffect.html

Do a google search for "SEO techniques" and you should get back plenty of answers.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys

Appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Cantab. wrote:

Libelous, and untrue.
    Cantab. wrote:

Site wouldn't be on netsoc, would it?

Cretinous SEO scum.

rsynnott wrote:
    Libelous, and untrue.

Site wouldn't be on netsoc, would it?

Cretinous SEO scum.

You having a laugh mate? In my thead about BT cap you chuck your dollls out of the pram on more than one occasion also. Everyone has the right to express an opinion, just because you disagree doesn't mean you get nasty and insulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

sticker wrote:
    You having a laugh mate? In my thead about BT cap you chuck your dollls out of the pram on more than one occasion also. Everyone has the right to express an opinion, just because you disagree doesn't mean you get nasty and insulting.

I was a bit nastier than was appropriate, perhaps; bad day. However, what must be understood is that these people are doing great damage to the internet for personal gain. When you use Google and all that appears is spam, it is due to this sort of thing. That people will actually talk about how they do it, and advise others to do it... that is really amazing. That the scale is small isn't really the issue; I'm sure every small spammer thinks their spam does no significant damage; it all adds up.

Google has been muttering about dealing with this sort of thing for some time now; their most recent update doesn't appear to have done the job now. Ah well, it will no doubt happen eventually.

And I stand by my views on the pigs at BT's trough. Posting HORRIFIED at being expected to use their fair share of bandwidth, and expecting praise for their ridiculous overuse. Again, people are most odd.

I'm honestly not targeting your threads, though; just co-incidence.

Oh, and lose the animated sig. They are verboten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Cantab. wrote:

If you have an invisable link on a netsoc site would the site get better rankings quicker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

Ziycon wrote:
    If you have an invisable link on a netsoc site would the site get better rankings quicker?

Yes.

Firstly, something like tcd netsoc has a high PR.

Secondly, although Google won't admit this, they seem to have a list of "trusted websites". This includes universities, newspapers, tv stations etc. Basically, "important" non-scummy organisations.

Although the invisible link is a black hat SEO technique, using it WON'T get your site in trouble. You cannot be penalised for something someone else might do (i.e. you can't control people adding invisible links to your site.) Google may just ignore the invisible link though...

rsynnott wrote:
    I was a bit nastier than was appropriate, perhaps; bad day. However, what must be understood is that these people are doing great damage to the internet for personal gain. When you use Google and all that appears is spam, it is due to this sort of thing. That people will actually talk about how they do it, and advise others to do it... that is really amazing. That the scale is small isn't really the issue; I'm sure every small spammer thinks their spam does no significant damage; it all adds up.

Google has been muttering about dealing with this sort of thing for some time now; their most recent update doesn't appear to have done the job now. Ah well, it will no doubt happen eventually.

And I stand by my views on the pigs at BT's trough. Posting HORRIFIED at being expected to use their fair share of bandwidth, and expecting praise for their ridiculous overuse. Again, people are most odd.

I'm honestly not targeting your threads, though; just co-incidence.

Oh, and lose the animated sig. They are verboten.

I never thought you were targetting my threads!! there just seemed to be a degree of vemon in some of your posts. There's absolutely no harm in being passionate in expressing an opinion - beats dull pedantic posts, I just feel there's a fine line between heated constructive debate and being insulting.

Off topic, I agree that excessive bandwidth use is wrong, but I DO believe a public discussion for a higher cap is a conversation worth having.

In terms of my sig - if it's forbidden under board rules, I'll lose it, no problem. But "LOSE THE SIG" is exactly what I'm talking about, you're no Mod mate, all that's required is - "Animated sigs are against forum rules - heads up" - In closing - costs nothing to be civil...

EDIT : Changed my sig (what an accommodating guy!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

sticker wrote:
    My client has seen one for £150 - seems very steep to me!

If they are real SEO professionals £150 is nothing. You could easily spend more than that on adwords over a couple of days

blacknight wrote:
    If they are real SEO professionals £150 is nothing. You could easily spend more than that on adwords over a couple of days

Just seems a lot to me - I'll have a sit down with the client and see what suits best.

Thanks for input all.

Check the prices for advertising both online and offline.. 150 is nothing and buys you nothing

blacknight wrote:
    Check the prices for advertising both online and offline.. 150 is nothing and buys you nothing

OK cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cianuro

You should start off by submitting your clients site to some decent directories and start building backlinks naturally.

There is a good list here:
    http://seocompany.ca/directory/free-web-directories.html

No need to submit to the search engines. Once your backlinks start growing, your clients site will be picked up naturally.

cianuro wrote:

I'd be wary of some of those as some look they were put up specifically for that purpose........

Advertisement