Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hiberian ignition

Options
  • 24-05-2006 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭

Have the privisional ignition test on sat
    any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

well, if you have all the basic of driving down then theres just a few things to remember.
    Use your mirrors, the instructor i had was very strict on use of the mirrors.
    Examine the route. If you know anyone who has done it before might be worth just getting them to take you around the route, I F'd up my test because of a dodgy corner off the naas road. It curved round and had a car park entrace which seemed like a normal road to me so I slowed down to yield to the right coming off the dual carrage way, big mistake, was penalised heavily for it.

Maneouvers on the Round-about, make sure you get into position at the right time and indicate in plenty of time.
    Also, make sure your steering correctly, dont let the wheel slide too much / at all if possible. and DONT CROSS YOUR ARMS! its incorrect and they will mark against you.

Also, if your using a car that you are unfamiliar with make sure you tell the instructor that you want 5 mins practise before going out on the journey. you have paid the price for the test so dont let them boss you around cause they feel there should not be a problem. I drive a Polo and had to do the test in a Hyundai accent or something. Much longer than my own car and the indicator etc was all on the wrong side. Brakes were less sensitive than my own. Really wish I had taken the time at the start to adjust to the car.

Depending on your instructor he/she might ask you a couple of questions before you even get into the car, now the test is not on your rules of the road but on how you cope and use them within a car, so although you wont be marked in away way for your answers it's a good idea to give a good first impression. I was not aware of this, and a few friends who have also done the test where not asked such questions, but it seems that they can ask them if they so wish so just be careful.

The instructor will not tell if you have passed or failed, he sends the results off to the waterford office.

other than those, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Is that the Ignition test or the driving test Doodee?

My Ignition course wasn't a test at all. The instructor brought me out for a drive in my own style so that he could analyse it for faults, he then took over and described his drive as he went along, pointing out potential hazards etc. - they go through all that in the course you do first. Then he asks you to take over again and basically practice what you've just been taught. They're not marking you for right and wrong, but they're looking to see an improvement overall in your driving style.

It's not so much a test of driving skill, more an exercise in thinking ahead. "Time and Space" is the buzz-phrase of the course. It's about identifying a potential hazard early and avoiding getting involved in it by giving yourself either the time to react or the space to avoid.

The instructors say they don't know how Hibernian work out who gets what discount, they just submit a report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

That is the hibernian ignition
    ther is an ignition as well for provisional licence holder so that they dont pay provisional licence premiums while waiting fo the tfull licence test which could be up to a year.
    its like the full driving licence test but seems to me a bit more difficult from what i have heard

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

did the full ignition myself, don't know much about the provisional ignition. but from what ive heard its pretty much the same as the full driving test.

best advice i can give you is give the rules of the road a read over (link to pdf download of same on page 1 of this forum) and get out for a little spin around on friday night...if possible with a driving instructor, may be able to point out some things that you should keep an eye out for?

take your time while doing the route. take your time reversing around the corner! :) for the full ignition there are two students per car, not sure about provisional ignition. depends on the instructor you get, but the chap i got was great, really helpful.

prepare for sat as if it were your full driving test you were doing, and you should be fine. good luck with it - let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭conor_mc

JoeySully wrote:

That is the hibernian ignition
    ther is an ignition as well for provisional licence holder so that they dont pay provisional licence premiums while waiting fo the tfull licence test which could be up to a year.
    its like the full driving licence test but seems to me a bit more difficult from what i have heard

Okay, didn't know that. Fair play to Hibernian, at least they're getting off their arses and doing something to give learner drivers a chance of reducing their premiums, not like the govt who have been talking about clearing the 17-month backlog in driving tests since I sat my test in 1998!

Good luck with it so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

I would like to be able to do this test to bring down my insurance but not able as hibernian have a cut off of 1.6... my car is 1.8 doh !

I could maybe understand a cut-off of 2.0 but 1.6... grr

good luck with your test...

-A

Advertisement