Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need advice on ventilation of room

• 24-05-2006 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Folks,

My house is about 30 ish years old. Two of the bedrooms have no ventilation because at the time each of the rooms had a fireplace which are now blocked.

The only ventilation the rooms have is via leaving the windows open a notch. The double glazed type that has the 2 postion locking mechanism.

Anyway, I know that i need to install proper ventilation.

I have some ideas on this.

I could use the exisiting fireplaces and install vents which would be about a foot from the floor. I'm thinking this may not provide proper ventilation.

I could install vents in the walls (cavity walls from what i can make out). This is the hardest option . .but i can do it.

I also had an idea about putting a vent in the ceiling that vents into the attic space. I would connect it via a pipe to clear the attic insulation and place a guard over each end. The attic appears to be well ventilated .. theres a noticable breeze flowing through it on windy days.

Any comments would be welcome, particularly about the venting into the attic idea.

SOP.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You should not vent into the attic.
    a) you are adding moisture to your attic space
    b) you are probably adding fibreglass to your room space

Both a and b are bad things.
    I dont see why a chimney wouldnt provide adequate ventilation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

A chimney blocked up should have a vent anyway to allow a through flow of air and keep the flue dry, also they are designed to remove air not replace it.

I would install proper vents in the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

cheers lads,

wall vents it is so, and i'll add ventilation to the chimneys.

Advertisement